Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I would drop the "extended warranty" completely.
I disagree that extended warranty plans are worthless. I won't bore you with the details of my experiences but I would not purchase a used coach without one. It's important to understand the warranty thoroughly and follow the instructions on how to file claims implicitly. The only exception is when I knew the previous owner, knew the history of the coach, and had it thoroughly inspected from stem to stern by well qualified professionals, as well as myself. If you think the dealer is unresponsive now, wait until you drive off the lot. You'll be on your own and it's best if you have backup.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
If you think the dealer is unresponsive now, wait until you drive off the lot. You'll be on your own and it's best if you have backup.
Unless buying new, you shouldn't expect much from the selling dealer after the deal is done and they've accomplished everything they agreed to accomplish. As for extended warranties, they are indeed insurance policies. Only you can judge your risk tolerance. Motor homes are complex and made up of many systems, so some problems over time should be expected. You've bought a quality product, unless the PO didn't care care of it. As such, you should have fewer problems than most.

What are the issues that seem to take them so long to resolve? With scheduling and getting parts, it's hard for me to grasp what could possibly take more than a couple of weeks to resolve.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Deal is off! Caught these crooks today in a huge lie. They altered a repair invoice from Caterpillar regarding defective injectors. Local Cat dealer had changed the thermostat and notified them of the injector issue, they refused to have repair done, did not disclose this problem to us, and then altered invoice to try and hide this from us. It is only because I called Cat Service Writer to ask for history report that I found all this out. Thanks to him for being honest with me!

So anybody know of a honest, ethical MH Dealer with integrety?
turn1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Time to run not walk, it's kind of pathetic when you think about it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=turn1fan;874497

So anybody know of a honest, ethical MH Dealer with integrety?[/QUOTE]

When buying a used coach from anybody, have it checked out by your own tech. It may cost you, but it will save you a lot of headaches. You got lucky this time. What year and model Beaver were you buying?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
It is a 2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV.....nice coach but crooked unreputable dealer.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #21

Good luck with the next one, and weren't you lucky they were so slack, if they had been on time you would have been stuck with it
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you get your earnest money back?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #23

Sorry to hear of your problem. I can't speak for PPL in Houston, but they appear to always have a good used inventory, Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes I bought at Independence RV outside of Orlando and they treated me fair, Independence RV Luxury Motor Home Dealer Winter Garden, FL There's Lazy Days outside of Tampa and they are huge! Lazydays RV - Number One In RVs (Gas & Diesel Motor homes, Fifth Wheels, and Travel Trailers) BTW, they have a few Montereys. And there's online sources like RVUSA, Used Beaver RV For Sale - Baron, Contessa, Marquis, Monterey, Patriot, Patriot Thunder, Santiam They have 56 Beavers listed. There's also the Beaver Ambassadors Club, www.BeaverAmb.org

BTW, I know your deal is off. However, let me suggest that if you can get a good inspection from a qualified inspector and a check on the major systems, then let price drive your decision. Don't make your decision based on some assumption of how you'll be treated after the sale. You're buying a used motorhome and in this economy post sales support for used products has fallen off the map.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #24

Where or who came up with the Beaver name?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Somewhere there is a motor home with your name on it. It's just playing hard to get.

Happy hunting.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Where or who came up with the Beaver name?
The two gentlemen who started "Beaver Coach" back in the 60's were ulumni @ Oregon State University.... the mascot of OSU is... (drum roll)... The Beavers!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Did you get your earnest money back?

Yes, we did get our earnest money back. Once the credit to our credit card shows up I'll be more sure but we do have the credit card reciept showing a credit.

Learned a lot from this and not sure the next person selling me a MH is going to be happy about my lack of trust in them. Talked to the local CAT dealer and long time service shop today about engine, chassis, transmission, appliiance and other rv systems inspections and costs. Also talked to DMV about dealer contracts and things like "cooling off periods" . The next experience will be alot different if I stick to my new and very long "DO's & Don'ts" list.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1fan View Post
Deal is off! Caught these crooks today in a huge lie. They altered a repair invoice from Caterpillar regarding defective injectors. Local Cat dealer had changed the thermostat and notified them of the injector issue, they refused to have repair done, did not disclose this problem to us, and then altered invoice to try and hide this from us. It is only because I called Cat Service Writer to ask for history report that I found all this out. Thanks to him for being honest with me!

So anybody know of a honest, ethical MH Dealer with integrety?
Don't know if you're willing to travel to see various coaches but I would highly recommend DeMartini RV located in Grass Valley, Ca.. We just purchased a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD and this group couldn't be more helpful and trustworthy during the entire process. I too had an independent Freightliner shop check the drive train with printed reports and DeMartini repaired all the miscellaneous items that needed to be done.

In addition, we spent the better part of (3) days on my own PDI and they repaired and/or replaced every item that required it, including double pane glass and other related items.

Take a look see on demartinirv.com, can't hurt. Family run business with a great reputation. We come out of Southern California and made the trip to purchase from them. Check out rvservicereviews.com for their customer response as well.

Good luck in finding a coach, great time to buy as the deals and some very good motor homes are out there.