Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1fan View Post
Today was to be the day our new to us Beaver was ready to bring home. But no..... even though this was their second attempt to deliver the dealer still had not completed most of the list of repairs on the "Due Bill" Yet each time they have been the ones to set the date and time for us to pick up our MH. This is becoming so frustrating! Is this the norm or is this dealer just lame? They are one of the major RV dealers in San Diego with a long history of doing business in the area. Unbelievably it seems that between the salesman, finance guy, service manager, and sales manager no one cares.

My DW and I have worked hard and saved hard to be able to buy this coach and to have these people be so lame is sure taking a lot of the warm and fuzzy feeling out of this purchase and realization of our dream. At this point we have both taken time off work, altered pre-scheduled plans and missed a camping trip. What do these people think? Do they think we'll just accept it as it is and not make them hold up their end of the deal? Today their were two other families able to take their coaches home while we were there going over our incomplete punchlist. I wonder how long they had to deal with this dealership in order to have their coaches ready?

Thanks for listening to my rant.....everyone else in my life appreciates it.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but from just your initial post I can say I went through the same thing. Only difference is we found a campground close to the dealer and went on short trips and brought the rig back to the dealer to continue their work.

This in the end was stupid on my part because the dealer, who suggested we take it out to enjoy it then used our taking it out against us.

I held them to the list we both agreed on and they couldn't understand why we would be such perfectionists when they at least "tried". We no longer talk to that dealer and when asked we tell people why we don't use them and suggest they look elsewhere.

Unfortunately most dealers care up to the point you sign at the dotted line, after that you are an annoyance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Unfortunately it is not a parts problem. It is a customer service problem. I would be as happy as a clam if they would just be honest with how long it will take. If they are overwhelmed they should stop making promises they can't keep. I too work in a understaffed, undertrained environment my customers are taxpayers and most are very understanding when even if I can't solve an issue quickly if I am honest about when it will be solved and can keep my word.

I do know we'll be very happy once we get passed this hurdle and begin to start using our coach. Thanks for the encouragement!

EXACTLY!!! Very well said, I said much of this almost verbatim to our dealer.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #31

Hi turn1fan. We bought our 2006 Fleetwood Bounder 38N diesel pusher the beginning if this month. We took it on a week long trip that weekend, in the Sierra's. If you have ever been to Shaver Lake, Ca., then you know about the 11% grade the last 13 miles!! Figured that hill would tell all there is to know about our new (new to us) rig. The trip up and back was fantastic. The CAT diesel performed great. Once we got home, there was a puddle of gear lube under the right rear wheel. The seal was bad! I called our dealer, Niels RV in Granada Hills, Ca. They told me to check with Freightliner just for the heck of it, to see if it was still under warranty due to the low mileage. I called and of course it was out of warranty. Niels told me to take it to a local RV mechanic and to have him do the repair work and bill them. I took it in, and they told me both seals were bad, and the rear brakes were covered in gear lube. So, it needed two new seals and a new set of brakes. I called Niels and they honored their agreement!! Needless to say, they treated us better than I expected and highly recommend them!!
Mad Dog 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 98 View Post
they told me both seals were bad
Since both seals were leaking do you know if they checked the vent valve to make sure it was not clogged?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #33

JohnRR, I don't know what the vent valve is. Only the right seal was leaking. The mechanic said the left seal was in poor shape, and recommended both being replaced. He showed me the seals and the leaking right side seal, and I saw the oil in the brake shoes of the right rear wheel as well. Am I able to examine the vent valve myself or is it something that needs to be done by a mechanic?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They look something like the one pictured below, it lets the pressure in the differential vent out. Generally when both seals leak it's because the vent it clogged shut. It's easy to check by finding something that looks like it somewhere on top of the differential or either axle housing, once you find it just give the cap on the top a twist and see if it turns fairly easy. If it does not then it's clogged.
edit; if you can't find yours I can take a picture of mine which should be the same.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #35

Thanks!! I will take a look at it.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Just to catch up on where we are. We did a lot more shopping after bailing on the 05 Beaver. Looked at more Beavers, some Monacos and Allegros. We have decided on a 07 Allegro Bus. It is being sold privately, no dealer involved. We paid for chassis and rv system inspections. The seller and I agreed to share the cost of needed repairs and maintenance items. Hope to be picking her up anyday now. Will post pictures when we get her home.
turn1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #37
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Will post pictures when we get her home.
I'm sure others look forward to seeing them as well as myself.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorV10 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet but from just your initial post I can say I went through the same thing. Only difference is we found a campground close to the dealer and went on short trips and brought the rig back to the dealer to continue their work.

This in the end was stupid on my part because the dealer, who suggested we take it out to enjoy it then used our taking it out against us.

I held them to the list we both agreed on and they couldn't understand why we would be such perfectionists when they at least "tried". We no longer talk to that dealer and when asked we tell people why we don't use them and suggest they look elsewhere.

Unfortunately most dealers care up to the point you sign at the dotted line, after that you are an annoyance.
Same here, put "chipped paint on front end" as per their instructions to fix on a return trip. Then they refused to fix them because we took it off the lot. Out of the first 305 days of ownership they had it for 113 of them. They also claimed that they called us repeatedly to come get it and we refused. Thing is our phone records all calls received even if no one answers it and there were no calls from them during that time. That lot is now closed and they no longer handle Newmar's anyway. I did get a "free" TV out of them but it took the WA AG's office to intercede for us. The BBB was worthless as the dealer lied to them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
I disagree that extended warranty plans are worthless. I won't bore you with the details of my experiences but I would not purchase a used coach without one. It's important to understand the warranty thoroughly and follow the instructions on how to file claims implicitly. The only exception is when I knew the previous owner, knew the history of the coach, and had it thoroughly inspected from stem to stern by well qualified professionals, as well as myself. If you think the dealer is unresponsive now, wait until you drive off the lot. You'll be on your own and it's best if you have backup.
You forgot to mention that they are NOT a "warranty" no matter what the are called in the literature. They are a service policy, the fine print takes away most of what the bold print says. And if the company goes out of business (as a lot have) you are out the money and the coverage.
Consumer Reports says to skip them too. There was one case where a person had a policy, the trans blew up, they asked for his maintenance records and found he went 750 miles too far on his Engine oil and filter and denied the claim.
Another one was a wire in the engine compartment caught fire, the one wire was covered but not the resulting fire damage.
Others have been seals going bad and ruining an engine or trans. "If a noncovered part causes a covered part to fail then neither part is covered"
Same for the ball joints, rubber boot fails, so the ball joint wears out prematurely. Nothing is covered because it was a seal.
Also. most do not cover normal wear, and they can attribute a lot of failures to "normal wear"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Same here, put "chipped paint on front end" as per their instructions to fix on a return trip. Then they refused to fix them because we took it off the lot. Out of the first 305 days of ownership they had it for 113 of them. They also claimed that they called us repeatedly to come get it and we refused. Thing is our phone records all calls received even if no one answers it and there were no calls from them during that time. That lot is now closed and they no longer handle Newmar's anyway. I did get a "free" TV out of them but it took the WA AG's office to intercede for us. The BBB was worthless as the dealer lied to them.
I'm amazed in this economy how these dealers survive, well it looks like yours didn't but the dealer we bought from is still going. God only knows how many people just take it and say nothing.