Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Time for a Revolution - Update

In my original post I mentioned how the factory had one coming off the line very close to what we wanted. The exceptions being it was our (close) second exterior color choice and it would have had a couple more options (about 4k worth, at full MSRP) than we would have ordered, but, we were supposed to get it in a couple weeks. Our sales rep called this afternoon. One of our 'musts' was changing over from the OEM KVH sat receiver, full HD for Dish network only, to a Winegard Traveler. Fleetwood engineering recomended against retrofitting the Winegard on a unit already prepared for the KVH. The 'hole' are bigger, I was told, for the KVH and any attempt to retrofit would result in less than optimum safety and durability.

We're now processing a 'new' order. While the longer wait is disappointing, getting it exactly the way we want it is a definite plus. It will necessitate rearranging my wife's vacation schedule, for the third time, but...

I'm attaching photos of a rig in the color & graphics we'll have on ours. It's rare to see one in these light colors, but I like it for a few reasons. Firstly, it's not all that bad on the eyes regardless. Second, I reason that there will be much less heat gain and sun damage with the lighter color (ours will live outside 24/7/365), and lastly, it won't show the road grime and dead bugs as badly!

Once the initial disappointment wore off, we're both really good with the change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White Shadow also.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	5056   Click image for larger version

Name:	White Shadow too.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	5057  

Click image for larger version

Name:	White Shadow.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	5058  

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very pretty, Jay. You won't be sorry you went with the lighter color. We carry one of those laser temperature guns & we've tested the temperatures of different colors of paint on not just our coach, but others. The lighter colors definitely read cooler, even as they relate to the inside of the coach. I've already told Dave I will never have a dark-themed paint coach. Any future coaches will be lt. grey/silver (like our Bounder is now) or the tan colors like many FW's have.

P.S. Those bugs will still show on the light sections of the front cap. They do on ours. A wet dryer sheet works great getting them off...if I don't let them dry on there for long.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Lori. These photos are of a 2010, from what little 2011 information is available, it looks like there will be a lot more of the gold in the 2011 and less of the white. If what I have is acurate, I think I'll like the 2011 even more.

Just curious, do you remember what the temp differences were when you were doing your checks? Are we talking a difference of 10, 20, 30 or more degrees?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Outside, temp of darker colors (in full sun) were easily 50-70 degrees warmer than the lighter colors & full sun put outside wall temps over 100 degrees. On our coach, the entire full body paint is light, but the upper portion is more of a blue grey where the bottom is more of a silver grey. The upper part, outside, runs about 20 degrees warmer than the lower. On the inside of our coach, on the sun side, an upper wall ran 5-8 degrees warmer than the middle or lower parts of the same wall. I would have thought the a/c would've compensated for that, but I guess it doesn't matter when the sun is beating down on that side. Also, on the inside, a wall under a deployed awning was no more hotter top to bottom so having the awning out definitely keeps heat off the side of the coach.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #5

Stick with this color combo or something similar..... We have a black/gray/silver coach and yes it looks nice but the quality of the black in my opinion on the fiberglass just simply SUCKS doesn't matter which brand i have seen huge sections of dark paint "checking" and it really makes your stomach turn to see that nice rig get dirty ours never seems clean and it always feels HOT in the summer our next one will NOT be BLACK and we are planning on keeping this one for 3 more years and if we can we will slowly change the black over to silver or a pearl white "lexus white is sweet" just my 2 cents take it or leave no matter which one you choose you will always love the time you spend in it!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When touring the Fleetwood plant it was claimed that they had solved the 'dark color checking' problem, at least on the Revolution on up, by eliminating the wood substrate. The exterior walls are about a 1/4" thick fiberglass composite. As it was explained, it will expand and contract at a constant rate. The thinner glass sidewalls are bonded to a luan product, which expands and contracts at a much different rate, thus causing a zillion little stress cracks.

That said, I'm sticking with the lighter colors. The dark will still absorb heat that will make the A/Cs job much more challenging and it has to have a more damaging effect on the finish, over time.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 08-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Jay and Peggy, congratulations on your soon to be coach, the pictures look great! We really like the colors.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #8

LOL I would LOVE to borrow that thing for one day. I camp at the slab in the winter, and man, just think if I pulled into there with that thing !!! All my friends would be so jealous.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #9

Jay,
I don't know why Fleetwood would not recommend a Weingard Travell'er. I had my KVH dome removed and a Travell'er installed without any problems on my revolution. The Travell'er has a large base and they did not drill or cover any holes in my roof. The base of the Travell'er was large enough it covered the three mounting holes from the dome. They used the exiting cables used for the KVH dome. I think because they normally do not handle the Travell'er as an OEM Fleetwood is probably not willing to do a special item as a one off.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Buck62, that's very interesting. But we're still good with the turn of events. This way we'll get exactly what we want.

Bob and Shirlene, know anyone that would like a rig like your's? Our 07 TGA, Ford chassis, is for sale. It has a number of upgrades. If not sold before the new one comes in it will be traded in.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jay & Peggy;

Congratulations on your purchase. That 42' Revolution sure looks impressive. A Coach that size will not fit in my garage and I don't think the City would allow me to build it bigger. I had a Traveler installed in March while in FL after my old one bit the dust. I am really happy with it. I believe your choice of a lighter color is wise. Maybe you will get it in time to go with us to Myrtle Beach in Oct for the 10th Anniversary Rally there.

Call us when you get it home and we will try and drive by for a Look/SEE.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #12

Congratulations! The lighter color scheme is great, enjoy. I look forward to some updated photos when you take delivery.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #13

congraulations on your new motorhome.great color choice.we have a 2003 revolution 40 footer with 2 slides.about a year and hahf of ownership the front cap begin to chechk and peel.i called fleetwood and asked them if they were having a problem with the clear coat peeling.they said no,not at all.about three years ago a neighbor bought a 2007 le revlution.guess what,his cap peeled about a year ago.oh ya both our caps are black.they get way to hot.