Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Traded the View for a Via!!

We had a 2008 View 24H, that was a fine unit. My declining mobility rendered the sleeping arrangement intolerable. We also have a Vectra 36RD, but the Via is our "runabout".

Quick review of the Via -
Pluses:
Most structurally competeent motorhome I've ever seen. The sqeaks, rattles, twists, and thumps just aren't there! It also the least wind noise of any I've seen (and less than my wife's Cadillac).
Fuel economy is slightly better than what we got in the View - better aerodynamics evidently offsets the slightly higher weight. We just got back from a 3500 mile maiden voyage and averaged (with a 2009 Escape AWD toad, and running at the speed limit or 65, whichever was less) 13.7 MPG. Worst was 12.8, which included crossing the Alleghenies on old US-30; best was 14.6 across Indiana and Ohio.
It's very comfortable to drive, thanks in part to the Flexsteel seating and increased driver space (over the View). It's not the flying carpet of the air-suspended Vectra, but still better than most cars / trucks.

The bad: Whoever decided the placement / selection of some things should be tarred and feathered:
The bathroom sink faucet is in the middle of an already small counter. Why they didn't put it on the other side of the sink is a mystery.
The main TV has a detachable power cord (like a computer cord) that plugs in to the TV vertically - therefore, the plug falls out almost every day - and it is a major PITA to reinsert it. Additionally, the AC outlet for the TV requires that the cable be run down the wall, and it MUST be unplugged to retract the slide. (Note: our coach was almost a pre-production model. It was a factory demo unit, and we suspect it was the one on TV from the Hershey show last fall. Some things may have been ironed out.)
None of the cabinet drawers / doors has a positive lock. That is particualrly distressing after the positively wonderful pulls / latches on the View. The hardware is residential grade, and is woefully inadequate (possibly even dangerous, IMHO) in a motorhome.

FYI:
The sewer dump is unusual. The gray tank empties through the black via a macerator pump. It does offer an advantage I've suggested many times . . . to move some of the gray water to the black tank if you need to balance the usage.
The bedroom TV is 12v. The main one is not, and is not on the inverter circuit. The outlet for the sat receiver is on the inverter . . . go figure.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thank you for the product review!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nice Review of the Via....Thanks
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #4

Did you have a brake system on the Escape? We are just getting ready to receive our Via and will be pulling an Escape.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvote1 View Post
Did you have a brake system on the Escape? We are just getting ready to receive our Via and will be pulling an Escape.

kvote1, You are going to want to have an auxiliary braking system on your toad. Please also consider that the "combined" weight rating of the Via is not exceeded. The GCWR on the 2011 Via is 15,250 pounds.

You can verify the weights by finding a CAT scale at a Flying J or other highway truck stop with scales. You will need to drive the Via on the 1st scale pad and the car should sit on the second pad.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #6

porscheracer, the tank draining arrangement makes a great deal of sense to me, if I understand you correctly; black first then the gray would rinse the black, I like it.

Could you be more specific on fuel consumption with the View-we have heard reports literally all over the place, what you reported is astounding, but I am curious as to how exactly you calculated, lie o meter, fill to first click, fill to visual level? and perhaps most importantly: are you legal weight wise when full?, this area is where we understand the View/Navion owners will be in deep poo if they are ever in a serious accident and a sharp lawyer decides to nose around with regard to ccc.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #7

Thanks DriVer! Your info was most helpful. SMI is near where I live in Evansville, In. I will pursue the Duo.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #8

Hi,
thanks for your review of the new VIA. Can you tell me a bit more:
Is it the 25Q?
Diesel Generator or Propane: Can you comment on the exhaust smell?
We are looking at the Via or the Reyo.... 25Q. Would you buy yours again if you started over?
thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabob View Post
Hi,
thanks for your review of the new VIA. Can you tell me a bit more:
Is it the 25Q?
Diesel Generator or Propane: Can you comment on the exhaust smell?
We are looking at the Via or the Reyo.... 25Q. Would you buy yours again if you started over?
thanks.
Bob--the original poster may not see your post since this thread is from 2010.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

ok, right... i'm a newby on internet forums ... thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Yesterday I drove the View and Via and compared them side by side. We are leaning toward the View Profile 25J (twin bed). The via is just beautiful and the huge pass through storage is a real plus. The View just felt better on the road and a little more solid, though I have have never driven a class A before.
Two things I did not like about the Via is lack of any type of left arm rest for the driver and limited visibility to the left. Really had to crane my next and lean forward to get an adequate view to the left when pulling out. I think if we decided we needed the storage capacity that the Via offers I would by one and replace the drivers seat with an armrest model.