Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #1

Unusual Classic

I recently bought an extremely rare (one of fourteen) Winnebago Luxor
AllSteer 37 diesel pusher built on the Oshkosh AllSteer four wheel steering chassis. Only 53,000 original miles and garaged when not in use its entire life on a ranch in Oklahoma

Rare 1995 Winnebago Luxor - Rear All Wheel Steer - One of Only 14

It is now being gone over in every detail at my shop in Dallas making everything perfect, I am SO excited, this machine was in great shape
but in need of some work, new tires and detailing. Only the recent collapse of the RV market put this beautiful machine in reach for me to add to my collection. This is the year I travel with a whole new style!

Steve
'61 Avion Tourist 20
'89 Airstream Excella 29
'95 Winnebago Luxor AllSteer 37
'04 Nissan Titan Tow
'08 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B Toad
madrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #2

I'd sure like to see more about that rig - but seems none of the pointers/click on photos works...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #3

Wow, that is one super fine rig you bought. As the above poster said, I would be very interested in learning more about this model and in particular how your coach unfolds over the next couple of months. Let us know when you drive it, get it all done to your expectations, some of the unique things you find along the way. More pics, commentary, improvements for starters if you don't mind. I look forward to following your story on this. Good luck and thanks for posting
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You can watch a video of it here
.. there is no sound ..so don't think your speakers are broken...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
GM also tried it in their Pickups, it wasn't a good selling feature back '03. The two biggest reasons is The extra $5000.00 the rear steering put on the cost of the truck and most that have already learned to tow and maneuver without it didn't like it.

Quite a glowing report for something that only ran a couple of years. See; USATODAY.com - 4-wheel steering: A truck godsend
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #6

a little better deal than all wheel steer newell jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
I'd sure like to see more about that rig - but seems none of the pointers/click on photos works...
The links from the photos at the website set up by the original owner
never did work, if you can't get to the website or the one photo I posted does not come up for you maybe you are running a pop-up blocker and need to turn it off?

Since folks have expressed an interest here is a link to my EBoard where a
number of photos of the Luxor are posted.

Madrones_Madness - eBoard

My best story about the Luxor so far has to do with the 4wheel steering.
It was obvious when I bought it that it had alignment problems, the front and rear axles just were not going to the same place which made it uncomfortable to drive. In reading the AllSteer manuals and talking to the original owner I noticed Oshkosh recommended adjusting the centerpoint of the rear axle every 10,000mi and the owner said it never had been done. I called Winnebago and they recommended taking it to Freightliner.
(In 1995 Oshkosh sold its motor home chassis division to Freightliner and
the Oshkosh designs became the original basis for Freightliner's motor home chassis). Well Freightliner knew nothing about AllSteer so I called Oshkosh which still makes the AllSteer system and it mostly gets used in fire engines, they recommended I try my local Pierce Fire Equipment dealer. A little checking and there was actually a service center just a few
miles from my house. It turned out they were great guys who were just thrilled to have something new and unusual to work on. They solved my alignment problems for a very reasonable rate (hourly rate below Freightliner!) and I mentioned it needed tires and they got me a set of Michelins (only Michelin makes a highway tread in the monster 425/65-22.5 tires this chassis uses on the rear) $500 cheaper than any source I could find. All in all the fire truck guys have turned out to be a real resource and I plan to have them do as much of my regular service as possible, they do both mobile and in shop service and are just great, I started out worried about servicing this unusual chassis but that part of it has worked out great!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #8

AllSteer chassis review

from back in the day

http://www.rvtechstop.com/articles/allsteer.pdf
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That's one cool coach. I wish you a lot of fun as you travel around in your new ride. Keep us updated with your adventures.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #10

Great looking MH. Was real interesting reading the Specs that was posted.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very cool indeed.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #12

id love to see it sometime i work in grand prairie
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #13

This is really a great thread and I thank the OP for sharing the info and video. Questions: Since only 14 were built (if I read the info correctly) does anyone know how many are still around? Does anyone know why they only built 14? Since Winny monitors this site, maybe they would chime in and provide some more insight on the history to this coach. Again, thanks again for sharing this great coach and info. I am really enjoying it.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks for a great look back

very nice
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote