Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Well I own it...now what? 2012 Newmar Canyon Star

Paperwork is signed, deposit is made, credits approved, insurance is secured, and inspection is in progress and minor defects are be corrected....now what? Any suggestions on what I should buy to stick in my new home on wheels or better yet what did you buy when you started out that you found was a waste of money?

Original listing with more pictures
#P10591 - 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3642 Sofa/Dinette Galley Bedroom Triple Slideout for sale in Williamstown NJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

Congratulations
Very nice.
Just start with the basics dishes,paper towels, tp etc.
My wife started piling our new tt with every little doo dad she could find, i am the complete opposite and pretty minimalist, she would bring it in the front door and i would take it out the back door lol..
She is still looking for things she "knows" she put in there..lol

Old 03-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we traded our '02 DSDP in on the Magna we parked the two rigs side by side inside the showroom and transferred stuff across. I've been RV'ing since 1957 and the DW since we got hitched in 1986 so we had EVERYTHING we needed. In fact it's too much as the much bigger, heavier rig has about 30% LESS storage. In fact we've still got boxes of "stuff" in the stick house to sort through and a pile on the back deck to sell.
The colors of what we have don't necessarily match but we don't really care since no one but us will see the towels and sheets. Did buy new king bed sheets though since we only had queen.
For the exterior I'd go park in a CW parking lot and go looking inside the store. For the interior we usually end up at Wal*Mart. That way no packing it to the stick house then to the MH. I'm still looking for storage boxes/bins to fit the new rig.
And the search continues!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We first had a 31' Class C with no slides.

We transferred what we wanted from the Class C into the Class A, which had much more storage. This included pots, pans, dishes and cooking utensils. Cleaning supplies and towels, vacuum cleanter etc. We splurged and got a nice set of out door loungers besides the other chairs that we carried.

I had carried a sparse set of tools for the Class C and over the years have increased my assortment of tools and spare parts. We carried extra wood blocks for leveling but had to make larger ones for the Class C.

We bought new water and sewer hoses.

We pretty much keep everything in the coach, we don't unpack and pack everything. When we come back from a trip everything gets washed and then put back in the coach. We empty the fridge but leave the can and dry goods in the coach. We try and rotate the stock out so nothing goes to waste.

I would suggest go minimal until you actually need something.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very nice. Congratulations!!!

The favorite thing I put in my MH was my family and friends. That's what it's all about.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #6

Number one waste of money is RV specific toilet paper, just use the brands you like and use plenty of water in the black tank. Another thing that I have found to be a waste of money is the black tank chemicals, for the first 2 years I full-timed, I faithfully added the stuff. Since I no longer do, I've noticed no additional difference, in fact I just might have a slight decrease in sewer type smells, go figure.

The biggest thing you can do for yourself is to go forth and enjoy. BTW, your new coach is gorgeous but then again I'm partial to Newmars. LOL. Welcome to the family.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

We bought all the linens, towels, bedspread, mattress pad, dishes , glasses ect. at Costco, and then went on another shopping spree at Walmart and Camping World for all the chemicals, hoses, TP and other stuff like that. We went out in it a few times and then bought whatever we missed having on that trip. We eventually ended up with most of the creature comforts we have at home, coffee maker, toaster, pots/pans we will use ect. Ours is now set up ready to roll, we even keep an extra set of clothes in it so we don't have to keep loading and unloading them. It takes time and that is all a part of the fun of buying a new rig. Congrats, it looks great, have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #8

Very nice. Welcome to the Newmar Family.

Best thing you can do it park it in the driveway and spend a weekend in it. Refrain from going into your house. You'll soon discover most of the things you will need or want.

Best of luck with your Canyon Star.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockonly View Post
Congratulations
Very nice.
Just start with the basics dishes,paper towels, tp etc.
My wife started piling our new tt with every little doo dad she could find, i am the complete opposite and pretty minimalist, she would bring it in the front door and i would take it out the back door lol..
She is still looking for things she "knows" she put in there..lol
This made me laugh out loud literally.
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Camp out in the driveway for a week. Anything you find that you need run to the house and get it, or make a list of the things you needed and did not have while camping in the driveway.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #11

Thank you for all the wonderful and helpful responses. I really like the camp in the driveway ideas!!! We are looking forward to this new and exciting adventure!!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

I guess the first thing is... how are you going to be using it.. weekend warriors or many multiple week long trips...

Obviously, if a weekend warrior.. the best has been suggested.. put in the normal stuff
  • pots/pans
  • plates
  • cups
  • silverware
  • towels
  • soap
  • shampoo/conditioner
  • toothpaste/toothbrush
  • shaver/shaving cream
  • Tupperware/mixing bowls/cooking/baking essentials (salt/pepper/spices/oil etc)
  • flashlights
  • bug spray
  • candles
  • dish soap, dish towels, scrub brush
  • cleaning supplies
Then camp in your driveway and keep a list of what you don't have...

One thing we did special; we went out and splurged on a nice set of sheets that complimented the colors of the interior.. it was a creature feature that we thoroughly enjoy (it's the little things)

Additionally.. one other suggestion... We ended up moving our older stuff from the home into the RV and then replaced with new for the house.. we are weekend warriors, so having new stuff in the S&B just made sense..

I'm sure there is still a ton of stuff I missed.. but, you get the idea !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #13

The first thing that I bought was a tire pressure monitor system. Started with the toad and expanded to the coach.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
This made me laugh out loud literally.
Another thing I'd suggest... Talk to this guy (5star), and get the tune for your Ford V-10... it really has made a world of difference

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar