Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using 000 steel wool for years to clean glass, chrome, and to polish certain hardwoods between coats of laquer, varnish, etc. The more worn out the steel wool is, the better it is. I do not use water or oil's with the steel wool. I use a can of canned air to blow the area after each use. Works Great For Me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
...I would recommend a plastic scrubbie ...Ken
That's what I use, an old plastic shower buff the D/W uses.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
I'm wondering what someone might get on their windshield that requires something as aggressive as steel wool to clean it. I've used 0000 steel wool on wood refinishing projects and would use it on a windshield too, but a kitchen scrubby sponge of some sort, safe for stick free cookware, with some dish detergent or greased lightning spray cleaner will get that puppy clean as can be. The greased lightning will even cut through light pitch from, say a pine tree. Big ole gobs of tree sap? Use a razor blade. You'll be worried more about how to get the big gob off the body than the windshield anyhow. Bird poo? Water and soap.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in Florida the love bugs require a MILSPEC removal system. The steel or bronze wool helps get the last of them off, but I do not use it each time, just when I am putting the MH away for a couple months.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like to keep the glass surface wet with a glass cleaner. Always Use A New Razor Blade
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #20

the red and green scotchbrite has abrasive in it and will ruin glass, the white stuff used to clean fiberglass showers seems to be ok.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Alcohol will remove pine pitch easily.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in the 50's an old man that repainted my Olds 88 told me about 0000 steel wool and chrome. Have used it ever since. Be careful though, now days this plastic stuff they produce will not stand anything like steel wool.
Also, I want to caution everyone out there to not use Scotch Brite pads. (my advice, leave it in the kitchen). A few years ago, I told my son-in-law about steel wool and chrome and he used it to try to remove some discoloration on his Harley exhaust pipes. It didn't remove all of it, so he tried some scotch brite pads. Well--- no amount of polish ever returned the original shine. I had no idea that plastic could do that much damage to chrome.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledrive View Post
Back in the 50's an old man that repainted my Olds 88 told me about 0000 steel wool and chrome. Have used it ever since. Be careful though, now days this plastic stuff they produce will not stand anything like steel wool.
Also, I want to caution everyone out there to not use Scotch Brite pads. (my advice, leave it in the kitchen). A few years ago, I told my son-in-law about steel wool and chrome and he used it to try to remove some discoloration on his Harley exhaust pipes. It didn't remove all of it, so he tried some scotch brite pads. Well--- no amount of polish ever returned the original shine. I had no idea that plastic could do that much damage to chrome.
Scotch Brite is VERY abrasive. Body shops use it to scuff surfaces in preparation for painting. Steel wool is "sharp" yet soft. It makes a great chrome and glass cleaner. Steel wool is also highly flammable. You can clean your MH windows, shine the chrome and then with a 9V battery, start your camp fire with the steel wool.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have used 0000 Steel on chrome, stainless steel trim and glass for years on everything I've owned from the '65 Mustang to most of the RVs. The only recommendation I have is do a general cleaning first, and ensure that before you start that both the steel wool and product you want to shine is completely dry and dust the item often.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Watching the video I learned something about RainX. I always wiped it clean with a dry cloth. I always seemed to have a little haze left on the windshield after rubbing it off. Next time I use RainX, I'm going to try rubbing it off with a wet cloth.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #26

I would start with the razor blade and follow up with the steel wool [dry]. This is common practice in body shops for paint overspray removal. Cover your dash first and thoroughly vacuum the area when finished. When steel wool filings or tiny strands get wet they will turn to rust and can stain things. Do it , just clean up when finished.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I wish I had of know about this a few years ago when I was driving 97 just north of Klamath Falls Or. I spent the better part of my 'playing trains' week cleaning the glazing on the C class. what a mess those bugs made and oh how bad I acerbated the problem by trying to clean it with watery solvents.