Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
0000 steel wool on windshield ?

Can anyone recommend if it's ok to to use wetted steel wool (4aut) to clean/polish the windshield without scratching? Other options ?

Thought I read it on irv2 somewhere or was referenced in a vid. We have tried everything else on some unknown spots on the inside of the passenger windshield glass. Tried solvents, wax/polish, mineral spirits, bug/tar remover, magic eraser etc. to no avail. Sorry no pics but it is spattered and may be some kind of construction adhesive (speckles of white colored, coarse pepper size diameter, rock hard spots). I don't feel comfortable with trying a single edge razor blade on the curved surface.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have 0000 steel wool on my car windshields in the past to clean it. It worked great. Be sure to clean up any steel wool strands that come off as they will rust when wet. I hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #3

I would go with the razor blade as long as I had something to hold it with (besides my fingers!). You can get holders in hardwares or paint suppliers. Otherwise, the steel wool should be no problem.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even with 0000 steelwool, you can get some scratching and hazing on glass. I would recommend a plastic scrubbie or a razor blade. Otherwise, they do make special glass polishing compounds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are small and large holders for single edge razor blades. If you put a lot of small scratches on the glass with steel wool you will live with it forever. Try the razor blade first. A number of holding devices can be found in the paint department of most big warehouse stores Lowes etc; inexpensive.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

Here is a trick for using single edge razor blades to keep them from gouging a surface, particularly a curved one. Take the blade and grind the corners round, either with a file or grinding wheel. All you need to do is have a slight curvature on the edges in other words circumference the outer edge. It keeps them from digging in on curved surfaces.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Here is a trick for using single edge razor blades to keep them from gouging a surface, particularly a curved one. Take the blade and grind the corners round, either with a file or grinding wheel. All you need to do is have a slight curvature on the edges in other words circumference the outer edge. It keeps them from digging in on curved surfaces.
Good tip!

Also, go side to side not up and down which will minimize the effect of the curve in the windshield.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #9

After seeing the above youtube video two months ago, I have been using 'dry' 0000 steel wool on all of my windshields with perfect success - no scratching.
johnandanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I would use synthetic pads rather than actual "steel' wool. It is all but impossible to get the tiny shards of steel wire out of the crevices around the front of the coach and they will almost instantly rust and stain. 3M and others make synthetic pads in the same grits, e.g. 0000 or even finer "polishing pads". They will not scratch the glass.

For most things, a heavy duty windshield cleaner will be sufficient. Auto parts stores usually have a spray on cleaner that will remove even paint over-spray.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #11

I ruined a windshield while cleaning a MH at the big spring Cobo Hall RV show in Detroit one time - using a couple of those brand new at the time Scotchbrite pads. Not a good plan. I was so embarrassed Fleetwood replaced it at no cost when I told them about it. Nobody knew any better at the time! Maybe they've changed, dunno. But I won't be trying them on glass again any time soon.

I have used steel wool without incident, and I would also caution when using them on the outside of the windshield too, but I thought we were working on the inside? Bronze wool is a much better plan on the outside - no possibility of rust. Available at better boating supplies. -Al
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Can anyone recommend if it's ok to to use wetted steel wool (4aut) to clean/polish the windshield without scratching? Other options ?

Thought I read it on irv2 somewhere or was referenced in a vid. We have tried everything else on some unknown spots on the inside of the passenger windshield glass. Tried solvents, wax/polish, mineral spirits, bug/tar remover, magic eraser etc. to no avail. Sorry no pics but it is spattered and may be some kind of construction adhesive (speckles of white colored, coarse pepper size diameter, rock hard spots). I don't feel comfortable with trying a single edge razor blade on the curved surface.
000 or 0000 works great on tempered glass and chrome, and doesn't scratch. Do not use it on non-tempered glass such as mirrors however, it will scratch big time.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #13

Vinegar removes water spots also.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandanne View Post
After seeing the above youtube video two months ago, I have been using 'dry' 0000 steel wool on all of my windshields with perfect success - no scratching.
Same here. Besure to use RainX to keep it from happening again. Dry not wet.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote