Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

07 TV camp cable little help

We have an 07 Beaver Marquis. Is anyone using the TVs and the original wiring to use cable TV that is in a TV park? I've put a couple thousamd$ into system and still can't get cable to work. Guy is trying to run everything through a box?? Maybe all 40 channels on test TV but only 10 on front TV and all channels are blurry !! Pain on the a--! Tired of messing with it and dumping money into it. Don't believe it came from factory like this and nothing has changed in technology that would make this happen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Did you make sure the antenna booster was off? It causes interference that makes cable TV not work well.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Tv

Yes that switch is off. On old coach that did cause a problem. The way this guy has it wired it makes no difference??? Switch works for antenna fine but doesnt do anything on cable? Thanks for reply. I just want to know if it was all the same as when it was built would all TV functions work. I have to believe they would but repair guy tells me new technology is making me in need of two hdmi ab switches (100$ each) . I think he is going to try and run everything through the dish receiver because he said it has "some type tuner?" in it he can use?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Flying Butch".....It's hard to tell what's going on from what you describe. To start, your coach probably came with the Winegard multi-switch box "bomb" (box of many buttons). These worked fine when everything just used coax cable.

From what you've said you've spent, I'm guessing that you installed new TV's. New TV's don't use coax cable anymore. They use HDMI (HD cabling). Trying to get your new TV's to work with the old coax is a pain.

On your old system, the coax cable from your satellite, roof antenna, VHS/DVD player and campground cable, all came into the coach and plugged into the Winegard box. So now the box has inputs from all the sources that you might want to watch. A cable then runs from that box to both of your TV's. When you want to watch the front TV, you push the front TV button and then you select what source you want to watch, such as your satellite, antenna or DVD player. You then push one of those buttons and the two are connected inside the box.

It's time to dump the box! Your new TV's have several HDMI inputs on the back and usually just one coax connection (round screw on). If you have satellite, like DirecTV, the DirecTV receiver (tuner box) needs to be connected directly to your main TV voa an HDMI cable. If you have Home Theater or a DVD player, you need to again, connect it directly to your front TV with an HDMI cable.

Since your TV only has one coax connection, you need to either connect the park cable to it or the roof top antenna. If you think you want to use both, then you need a small switch, that you can easily reach (no power required) that will allow you to switch between the two. You can also just leave both cables laying behind the TV, if you can reach them, and just screw on the one you want to use.

Some of the new roof antennas come with a small switch box that allows you to connect both the park cable and roof antenna cable to a small box. When you turn on the attached booster antenna, it switches internally to the roof antenna connection and when off, it switches to the park cable.

Old TV's only had one input, the coax cable was it. New TV's can have as many as seven or more connections (inputs) on the back. This means that when you turn on your TV, you have to select which input you want to use form the several on the back. You press your input button on the remote and select one. Most TV's let you label them, so you know which one is connected to satellite, antenna, DVD, etc.

Now, eliminating the Winegard button box on an older coach, makes it more difficult to get a signal to a rear TV. It can be done rather easily though. I did it on my last coach.

Many of your new coaches now come with HDMI wired throughout the coach, which makes it easy to connect all components.

Don't let it frustrate you. If you want to watch something, you have to bring it into your TV via an input.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Cable tv

Darn spell check, on my first post it should have read " I can get all the channels off campground cable on back TV but only 10 or so "low numbered" channels on front Tv?? Company worked on it yesterday for several hours. Got the fuzzy out of rear TV. Took it out to a campground to test. Same deal, only a few low numbered channels on front TV. I hooked a cable direct from campground TV outlet to the into TV cable bypassing everything. Damn if it wasn't same deal?? I find it hard to believe this coach came from the factory with a TV that would not work using the cable from campgrounds. It is a soni 40" HD TV. Called Monaco and they do think it is the TV. Suggested going to Radio Shack and getting some different tuner and it would allow cable stations to come through. All these channels are analog and if I do a search can't find digital on either TV. Anyone have run into this?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Can you tell us what model Sony 40" TV it is? Like to help, but need more information.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Scanning for channels using the "Cable" setting on the TV instead of "Antenna"?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Cable

I've scanned for channels cable digital and analog= no difference. TV>WCG CCFL XBR Bravia. I saw another post of a guy having similar problem. He posted the cable from campground loses power through every splitter. He put a booster on his system to repair problem. I asked him where he got the booster and where in his system did he install it. Might be the answer. I'm still convinced the coach didn't come with a TV that wouldn't work on RV campground cable. Thanks for reply guys.

Safe travels
Old 09-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Splitters can be a problem and will reduce signal strength dramatically. My coach had an 8-way splitter where only a 2-way was needed and replacing that made a huge difference.

Yes, you can add a booster. You can buy one most anywhere, e.g. Lowes or Depot, and power from a handy 120v outlet. Coax goes in one side and pout the opther, and can be inserted most anywhere you have space. I use one at home where the coach plugs to a long cable run. It is located in the bay where my external coax jack is located. I hook the external cable to the booster and the booster out to the park inlet on the coach.

Your description of the problem, though, sounds very much like a TV tuner problem. Only getting a small number of low numbered channels is the trademark of the tv using the wrong tuner parameters. Cable channels are crowded together more on the coax (different frequency ranges) and the tv has to know it is cable to extract them properly.

Have you run the coax direct to the front tv to make sure it can tune without any intervening splitter or wiring issues? Just run a cable direct from the park source, using a barrel connector if necessary to attach an additional length of cable. That will quickly isolate the problem to either the tv end or the wiring. Maybe do the same from other pounts inside the rv, wherever you can get access to the coax.

Wilson 971129 F-Female Barrel Connector for RG6 Coax Cable 801265 841262 841263: Electronics Cable Connectors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Splitters will reduce the signal, I'd suggest trying hooking up the TV directly to the CG cable source with one long, un-segmented, coax cable. See if the TV's reception improves. If so, then you could invest in boosters or better splitters and cable. Fact is, that TV is a dinosaur, 55 lbs, 240 watts, 720p resolution. Not to say it is a cheap model, retail price in 2005 was $2,999.

Here's a thread in a forum with people sharing settings to get the most from that model of Sony TV:

Sony BRAVIA KDL46XBR2 - User Settings/calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I'd also suggest, besides testing the TV with a direct hook up to the cable source, you might take a flat screen from home and test it in the RV using the system you have. It should show if it's the TV or your system.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #11

Cable

Thanks for all the posts guys. I have ran a cable direct from cable box to TV Input. Same problem. I see on another post a guy did it also but still had same problem I am having. He put in a booster and solved it. I will give that a try. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Safe travels everyone
Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several possible issues.. Most likley is bad coax to the poor TV.. but a bad splitter will do it too. (So will a bad TV)

NOTE: There are a few differnet Cable schemes.. Now most TV's will figure it out but I know of at least one (Made by LG of course) that did nto you had to figure it out yourself.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #13

Cable

Thanks all ordered a amplifier for cable today.