Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

10 - 4

Is there a channel number on GMRS or CB radios that most RV'ers use? I frequently see other rigs on the road with a variety of antennas on them but never know which channel on which service to use to call them up.

OVER
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
That's a good question!

We keep two FRS/GMRS radios in the rig, for backing and what not...

It would be cool, to be able to know what channel other RV'ers were on...
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Mine is on 19. there is a lot of garbage on there but that channel will tell you what is going on up ahead. Not "G" rated at all.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
'scan'
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

Have yet to find anyone using GMRS radios on the road except for units traveling together. Good Sam wants/trys to get their members to use CB channel 13 but again have yet to find anyone on that channel. Truckers (and about everyone else I think) in most of the US stay on CB channel 19 and switch to another channel to carry on long conversations. Mostly 19 is used for all conversation tho as they want/need to stay abreast of road conditions/passing/etc. West Coast truckers use a different channel other than 19 most of the time
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too, when I have the cb on it's channel 19. Seldom turn it on except if something going on ahead and just to break the monotony. Back when we did a lot of traveling with friends we would keep it on 16
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i think 17 is the other one used alot. we use it n 19.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gmrs, not that I know of, You do know GMRS requires a license right, 80 bucks for the license or 2,000 if you get caught without one, FRS (the first 14 channels at low power) no license requried.

CB which used to require a license but the FCC gave up, Channel 13 is the "Official Good Sam RV channel" and yes, I do monitor it on long hauls (I have multiple radios)

Channel 19 is where I put the big radio though, that way I hear what the truckers have to say bout the rollover 5 miles ahead or whatever, Has saved me a fender or two.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I too, when I have the cb on it's channel 19. Seldom turn it on except if something going on ahead and just to break the monotony.
Same here.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

Up here in the 'Great White North' a GMRS radio not exceeding 2watts output power does not require a license. I understood that the FCC was looking at enacting something similar in the United States in 2010. Did it not go through? At any rate, with this type or radio service (GMRS or FRS) being relatively uninhabited maybe this is an area we should claim as our own? Anybody with more experience want to suggest a channel?

I have a CB too, but honestly, the language used on it makes ME blush! Not the sort of thing you want to expose children to either I suppose and that makes it hard to monitor any channel. Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The GMRS license, while true, is a farce. Everyone has them, the range on them is terrible and I have yet to meet anyone who has a license for them. Go to any amusement park and you'll see families everywhere using them. Again, the biggest downfall for them is their lack of distance. At least with a CB you can get communications from a couple miles down the road.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I monitor CB channel 19 all the time. To check for problems ahead as stated here. And to use to report a problem like a flat tire to a trucker. And to have on in case someone with a CB wants to tell me of a problem with my MH or toad. I failed semaphore in boy scouts.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I have a GMRS license, because it is the law, and I also hold an amateur license that I worked hard to get. I don't want to get the Federal Candy Company mad at me and have an excuse for pulling my ham ticket. So I am for GMRS purposes WQGG230 and for amateur purposes W4RLR. I had a CB license when they were required, but since I was a teenager at the time and I am now eligible for AARP, I can be forgiven for forgetting my CB call sign.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #14

I monitor ch 19 for info and entertainment. Sometimes in a city I'll turn it off because of the foul language. When traveling with others we monitor ch 19 but have an alternate channel to go to if we want to discuss something at length. Had a cb license way back when but let it lapse when no longer required.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote