Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

104,000 Miles on a Class A MH. Would you buy it?

Let me preface this question/request for "your" opinion with this:
1. Yes I understand that if it looks and feels like a nice coach to me, yad, yad, yad
2. It's a diesel and at 100,000 miles it's just warming up
3. The coach also has more than 100,000 miles it. Therefore all of its systems and moving parts have also had the same amount of mileage. And yes, the owner has repaired/replaced all that has broken, etc.

What do we have here:
1. It's a 2005 42 ft Monaco Executive, Dual Slides with 500HP Cummins Turbo Diesel
2. It looks and feels like it's in pristine condition. Really!!!!!!
3. Purchase price approximately $95,000

My questions revolves around:
1. Resalability: Everything I buy of any sizable amount will always revolve around "Can I resell this in the next few years for anything near what I paid for it. Or, will I have significant objection and price deterioration due to having over 100,000 miles on a 2005 coach??????
a. We typically only do about 3,000 miles per year.
b. The thought of maybe selling in several is a safety
valve. Our current coach we bought new and have used it
and enjoyed it for the last 15 years (33,000 miles now).
2. What kind of maintenance issues will I/should I anticipate? Yes I know that everything breaks in time. But this is a lot of road time!!

What do you think???????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know anything about the Monaco Executive, but having just over 100,000 miles would not be a big concern for me, IF the seller has very complete maintenance records showing the coach was serviced on a regular basis! JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

Don't know if that's a good or bad price, but plan on putting $$ out to have the service brakes & tires inspected, transmission serviced, oil changed, CAC and radiator de-greased and rinsed, batteries inspected, and air and hydraulic hoses inspected.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

We have lived full time in an '03 Signature which is the next Monaco up from the Executive. If the maintenance has been kept up then it should be a spectacular coach. I have the same chassis (Roadmaster S Series) and engine/transmission combo. About the same Milage. I would not hesitate to pull in the slides & head off the Alaska tomorrow.

Here is a listing of maintenance points:

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

Chassis:
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.

Generator:
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.

AquaHot:
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Is this half of what low mile units of the same age are going for if not Run away! How many people with $90k to spend are looking for a 100,000 plus mile motorhome. NONE! When you go to resell you will be competeing in a market where 90 percent of the other units will have under 50,000 miles. Unless yours is half the price or less than these other units you will be a long term owner.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Is this half of what low mile units of the same age are going for if not Run away! How many people with $90k to spend are looking for a 100,000 plus mile motorhome. NONE! When you go to resell you will be competeing in a market where 90 percent of the other units will have under 50,000 miles. Unless yours is half the price or less than these other units you will be a long term owner.

PPL Motors in TX is a consignment dealer known for their reasonable pricing. Desirable units don't spend much time in their inventory.

Last fall they sold an '03 HR Navigator with 103k on the clock for just under $100. The Navigator is a sibling of the Executive and generally in the same price range.

The price is always negotiable but it's certainly in the ball park for the age and mileage.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I don't know of anyone that resells their vehicle for close to what they paid for it.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

Personally, if you like the coach and think the price is fair, go for it. I would think it has lost most of its depreciation and it loses value at a slow rate now.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #9

What about the coach/house? It too has 100,000 miles on it, jostling along our highways, over potholes, etc. This is bound to loosen that part of the MH.
Perhaps your most important item is resale value. 89Sandman makes a good point. In the near future plan on replacing/rebuilding the turbo-charger, fuel pumps, alternator, starter, etc. The engine might last for perhaps another 600,000 miles before requiring an in-frame overhaul, but accessories wear out sooner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #10

Thanks all for your input. Looks like we will pass on this one. We just can't get past the 100k + miles on the coach issue.

Oh well. On to the next one.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #11

mine has 450,000 on it and I did not blink a eye. most large diesel motors are good for 1 million miles if taken care of and not road hard. it the price is fare the miles would not bother me.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #12

I wouldn't pass on it because of the mileage. If you're planning on putting 3k a year on it, in 5 years that 14 year old coach will have 115,000 on it. That's not bad at all, especially in light of the fact it's a diesel.

Where I think you might take the biggest depreciation hit has to do with it's ability to be financed at that point (5 years from now)? It's going to take cash or some pretty strong credit to do that, and this fact is going to really limit the number of people on the market qualified to buy it. That fact alone will have quite an affect on it's value.

It's the reason the 99-2002/03 coaches can be such a great value right now!

What it's going to need as far as maintenance right away will depend largely on the maintenance records (with receipts!) that come with it. If it can be documented it's up to snuff, and everything is working, all you need to do is carry on.

Without those records, you'll need to bring EVERYTHING up to date, to establish a required maintenance base line.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #13

If the owner has all maint records, the miles would not bother me at all if everything else checks out fine.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
KIX

If the condition and maintenance record supports are there the price then the miles would not be an issue for me.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a