RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #1

$10k Insurance?

Progressive.com through USAA just quoted me a policy for a 2020 Newmar VTDP for $10,000/year? That seems...excessive.

Looks like it’s the total replacement coverage that is really cranking up the rate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #2

Give Geico a call. I have a fulltimers policy wth $500,000 liability coverage with them and they were below everyone in premium.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To my knowledge Geico does not offer true full timers insurance. There are only 3or 4 that do.
They do offer 365 day use coverage but WITHOUT the homeowners liability , a very important part. If I trip and fall on your steps or your bbq and sue you you arenít covered, other than if you are driving and injure someone .. that I think is the ďliability ď that every car owner has.
Re the 500,000 liability are you sure thatís what it is? You might pull that policy out and look carefully , better yet call and ask if someone injures themselves at your campsite , are you covered and where is that in the policy.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #4

The 'Basic' policy they are quoting me (which is admittedly not sufficient) comes in at $558/year for the following coverages:
  • Liability (Bodily Injury & Property Damage): $25k/person, $50k/accident $20k/property
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $25k/person, $50k/accident, $20k/property
  • Income Loss Benefit: No Coverage
  • Medical Expense Benefits: No Coverage
  • Full-Timer's Package (provides "homeowner-like" coverages when you use your RV as a permanent residence): $50k/person, $100k/accident
  • Trailer: No Coverage
  • Totaled Vehicle Options: No Coverage
  • Other than Collision: No Coverage
  • Collision: No Coverage
  • Disappearing Deductibles: No
  • Trip Interruption: No Coverage
  • Towing and Labor Costs: No Coverage
  • Replacement Cost Personal Effects: No Coverage
Cool. That's a garbage policy, but it's a fine baseline.

Then I change a single option, Totaled Vehicle Options from 'No Coverage' to 'Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price' and I go from $558/year to $9,984/year. That seems...bananas.

Meanwhile, their 'Choice' policy with way more coverage than the above is actually $400 cheaper than the $9,984 cost for the above with total loss coverage:
  • Liability (Bodily Injury & Property Damage): $50k/person, $100k/accident $25k/property
  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury & Property Damage: $50k/person, $100k/accident, $25k/property
  • Income Loss Benefit: No Coverage
  • Medical Expense Benefits: $1,000/person
  • Full-Timer's Package (provides "homeowner-like" coverages when you use your RV as a permanent residence): $1000k/person, $300k/accident
  • Trailer: 0-$2.5k/accident
  • Totaled Vehicle Options: Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price
  • Other than Collision: $1k deductible
  • Collision: $1k deductible
  • Disappearing Deductibles: Yes
  • Rental/Transportation Expense: $600/occurance
  • Trip Interruption: $750
  • Towing and Labor Costs: Yes
  • Replacement Cost Personal Effects: $3k

I think I'm going to call them. It seems like there's a something wrong with the website.

Also, has anyone compared Progressive through FMCA vs Progressive through USAA? Both are supposed to provide discounts but I don't have FMCA, though I'd get it if the discount were better than USAA's.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #5

$10K is excessive in my eyes and yes, that's the total replacement jacking the price up.. I don't pay that much for my home, car, life and MH policies combined, but I also don't carry total replacement on anything, nothing I have is new enough. This coverage is a pure personal tolerance of loss choice.

I can't tell if your full timing or not, but liability is a very big deal.. read the fine print and ask questions. I have a sort of campsite liability, $50K Vacation liability, which provides liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage while your RV is being used as a temporary residence. Nationwide does offer a Full Timers Package, which provides protection if you use your RV as a permanent residence and do not own or reside in another dwelling.

IMHO, $25K for property damage is not enough at all, If you rear-ended and totaled an newer F350 for example (think about how common they are) they are like $60K+. You'd be on the hook for anything over $25K.
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #6

I have never bought insurance from a major, see it on TV carrier. It seems their prices are always high. I am guessing but your new $300K rig should not cost more that 3 Times what I pay for my $100K rig and that was about $1,100.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #7

By "total replacement", do you mean they would supply you with a comparable, BRAND NEW coach for the duration of the policy? That amount seems fair to me if that is the coverage.

That is why we have agreed value coverage.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
I have never bought insurance from a major, see it on TV carrier. It seems their prices are always high. I am guessing but your new $300K rig should not cost more that 3 Times what I pay for my $100K rig and that was about $1,100.
More like a new $500K rig. If you got full replacement insurance on your $100K rig for $1,100 you're getting one heck of a deal.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

You said you tried USAA. Try calling Miller Insurance for Progressive's costs and thorough explanation. Don't rely on getting a quote online.

Miller Insurance Agency
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Also call overland insurance , the one in queen creek AZ ( there are several overlands ) the also specialize in rv insurance. Actually call and use a agent. https://rvins.com/
We have called both in the past .. currently using Miller. Both will answer your questions and shop several sources.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
More like a new $500K rig. If you got full replacement insurance on your $100K rig for $1,100 you're getting one heck of a deal.
Mine covers Actual Cash Value (ACV) @ $500K limit + $58 to go to $2M, so over time I know it will be less coverage but the cost will go down too. Replacement Cost insurance is tricky. This is not a house. Replace it with what? a New RV with the same features or an equivalent one with the same age etc. (sounds like ACV)

But even at 5 times my cost that is $5,500 not $10,000. You need to shop it out.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:10 AM   #12

My quote, through USAA to Progressive, for a 2020 Tiffin Allegro Red 37BA, for the most expensive policy (Plus) was around $1,584. The policy is $250k per person, $500k per accident, $100k per property, and had the total loss replacement option.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Mine covers Actual Cash Value (ACV) @ $500K limit + $58 to go to $2M, so over time I know it will be less coverage but the cost will go down too. Replacement Cost insurance is tricky. This is not a house. Replace it with what? a New RV with the same features or an equivalent one with the same age etc. (sounds like ACV)

But even at 5 times my cost that is $5,500 not $10,000. You need to shop it out.
But you don't have replacement insurance. You have actual cash value. The OP is talking about replacement insurance. Any comparison between that and your ACV policy is like comparing apples and oranges.

"...equivalent one with the same age etc" is the definition of actual cash value and is unrelated to the OPs question about replacement insurance.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
But you don't have replacement insurance. You have actual cash value. The OP is talking about replacement insurance. Any comparison between that and your ACV policy is like comparing apples and oranges.

"...equivalent one with the same age etc" is the definition of actual cash value and is unrelated to the OPs question about replacement insurance.
Okay.... so here is the wording for Actual Cash Value in my policy.

"Actual Cash Value means the amount it would cost to replace thew damage or stolen property with similar make, model and comparable equipment. To Determine the actual cash value, we consider the fair market value, the age and condition of the property at the time of the loss, and the applicable state regulations and statutes"

So ACV is typical vehicle insurance and includes deprecation. Replacement cost may not include deprecation. A replacement cost policy probably would not be offered on a older vehicle. From what I found 2-3 years and thats it. A replacement cost policy might also be considered as Gap insurance if you financed 100%.

Back to the question of cost. Still if my already deprecated vehicle was totaled my limit and fair market value is about $100K and OPs is fixed at $500K then the price should be about 5 times not 10 times my rate.

Tags
insurance