RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
110 volt 20 amp charging

We have a brand new twenny twenny ventana 4326 all I have available in my motor home garage right now is simple 110 voltage but my Surge protector in the coach every few minutes sounds like it's banging am I doing something wrong can you just keep the batteries charged through the Winter on 110?

frank-kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

Sure. I have always had my RVs plugged into a 20A circuit at home. You might need to make up or buy a 20/50 adapter.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

The surge protector is... banging? Is it showing any sort of fault?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #4

You need to check the outlet voltage while the MH is plugged in. It may be dropping to low.

Did you set your inverter/charger to a lower amp input. Set it to 10 or 15 amps and see what happens.

If your using a extension cord between the outlet and MH cord, make sure its 12 gauge or plug the MH cord directly into the adaptor and then outlet.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #5

1. sounds such as banging or hammering indicate that the surge protector is doing bits job by breaking the current flow if it is too low. To remedy this be sure you are using at least 12 gauge extension cord and your circuit is not dropping too low at the coach.

2. it could also mean your surge protector is faulty. Since it is a new coach, check for proper current flow first.

What does your owners manual say about hooking up to 110v?

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

How many/total amp.hr are the batteries and what amperage does the charge try to put out it may pulling a bunch just right there plus loss in converting to 12v.. My old school inv.charger I can choose max amps charge per dip switches. Your rig may have the capability to choose what amp service your plugged into per control panel, it will throttle the charging.
I looked up a huge spec. sheet on your rig "congrats by the way ...nice" under battery just said "convertor yes" LOL
My friends 2004 rig has amp service choice on panel, yours is a bit higher end to say the least.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Frank.....posting here is great, but there is also a Newmar specific forum on the this website. Sometimes, other Newmar owners can give you a better answer.

Back to your issue. Your Ventana should be similar in function to my Dutch Star, especially if you ordered the optional surge protection. Newmar uses the Surge Guard transfer switch with "protection" as they call it, which is a surge protection unit. I think the bumping that you're hearing is a miswired connection in your garage or low voltage. Your Surge Guard waits 30 seconds after plugging and then connects. If it sees something it doesn't like, it disconnects and the procedure starts over again.

You should have a gauge in the overhead cabinet, above the driver's seat that says Precision Circuits. When you press the button, it will tell you if you're connected to shore power and how many amps. It will also tell you how many volts are coming into the motor home on Line 1 and Line 2. Since you're only connected to a 15 amp outlet, you'll only see voltage on one of those two lines. Low voltage, like something in the 100 volt range will shut your Surge Guard down.

The first thing I would do, is plug into another outlet in your garage, that is not on the same circuit. You could have a miswired outlet.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

20A is plenty to run the converter & battery charging function. Even at peak output, the converter/inverter/charger would use less than 20A and under normal circumstances it would be more like 1A-3A. However, make sure you haven't left other 120v appliances on, e.g. fridge or water heater.

A banging sound would be the relays opening or closing, which suggests that the surge protector & power monitor has detected low voltage or other problem from the power source. Some common causes would be a poor wire connection, undersized wiring, or a faulty adapter mating the shore cord to the outlet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Frank.....posting here is great, but there is also a Newmar specific forum on the this website. Sometimes, other Newmar owners can give you a better answer.

Back to your issue. Your Ventana should be similar in function to my Dutch Star, especially if you ordered the optional surge protection. Newmar uses the Surge Guard transfer switch with "protection" as they call it, which is a surge protection unit. I think the bumping that you're hearing is a miswired connection in your garage or low voltage. Your Surge Guard waits 30 seconds after plugging and then connects. If it sees something it doesn't like, it disconnects and the procedure starts over again.

You should have a gauge in the overhead cabinet, above the driver's seat that says Precision Circuits. When you press the button, it will tell you if you're connected to shore power and how many amps. It will also tell you how many volts are coming into the motor home on Line 1 and Line 2. Since you're only connected to a 15 amp outlet, you'll only see voltage on one of those two lines. Low voltage, like something in the 100 volt range will shut your Surge Guard down.

The first thing I would do, is plug into another outlet in your garage, that is not on the same circuit. You could have a miswired outlet.
50 to 20 amp dog bones will power both legs.

The Precision Circuits panel can only distinguish between 50 and 30 amps. One is 240 volts the other is 120 volts.

You need to tell it, if your connected to less then 30 amps. It can't tell the difference.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
No, I think it's the extention cord. Thanks

frank-kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging