Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
115 to 30amp? And onan gen.??

Hello everyone! We are new to the rving world and we about to embark on our first trip! I have a 1984 fleetwood pace arrow class a motorhome. The power cord that I hookup to a campground is a 115 volt plug. Do i need an adapter to plug in? And what about 50 amp service? Do I need another adapter to take it from 30 amp to 50 amp? One more question. The generator. It's an onan5kw and runs great. How do I use it lol. Is it already wired in? Do I plug my long cord in it? I looks a dryer plug has been wired right in the generator. It doesn't look factory. Thanks everyone!

jcs2373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Let me try, ok a 115/120 volt will look like a house wall outlet and a 30 amp 110 volt not( 220 volt )will look like a dryer and a 50 amp will have 4 prongs. You can purchase adapters 50 to 30 amp and 30 to 110 depending on what you need. It may help if you can take pictures.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
If it looks like a dryer plug on the generator does the plug on the end of the long cord have the matching plug? If it does you do not have a transfer switch. To get AC from the generator plug the cord into there and start the generator.

FWIW I would start the generator without the cord plugged in and see if I had AC. If I did I would know I had automatic transfer and somebody added a plug to run something else like a large compressor or welder. Possible if a previous owner had the right hobbies. If I did not have power and the plug matched I would probable plug it in. If I was feeling cautious I would check it with a voltmeter with the generator running. Off hand the safety ground is the roundish one and there should be ~115 VAC between the two flat holes. YMMV. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the quick response! I Def want to be cautious so I'll check w volt meter tommoro am and get back to you w results.
jcs2373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
U.S. standard voltage is 120 v AC. RVs and campgrounds use 3 standard plugs for 120 v service:

Be Careful, some home range and dryer plugs may be configured the same, but they are 240 v and will burn out your RV circuits. Never plug in except in a campground until you test the outlet with a multimeter to be sure. Many RVers have made costly mistakes plugging into an outlet in a friend's garage!

In a 1984 RV most likely you have to plug the shore cord into a plug in the cord or generator compartment. When not plugged into shore power, it's best to just store the cord plugged into the generator. That way, when you want a cup of coffee or to run the air conditioner you don't have to go out or pull over. More updated RVs (not generally better, just more to break down) have an Automatic Transfer Switch that senses the power source and switches on it's own.
Attached Images

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Study this website carefully, it will help understand RV electrical wiring standards: RV Electric
Buy an adapter(just in case) to go from a 50A CG pedestal to your 30A RV shore power cord. Today many CG 30 pedestal receptacles are worn-out and will blacken the prongs on your plug. Using the 50A receptacle will result in a stronger connection, and supply your RV with better power, even though your RV breaker panel will still limit you to 30A.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most parks have either 20/30 amp sites of 20/30/50 amp sites.

20 and 30 amp are both 115/120 volt (The current standard is 120)

50 amp is a bit more complex since it is 120/240/120 volt (4 wires with the ground).

Saying 115 to 30 amps.. Is thus meaningless since 30 amps is 115

HOWEVER if you meant 15/20 amp (regular wall outlet) to 30

I have been to parks that had ONLY the TT-30 in the box so carrying an adapter (or 2) is not a bad idea

For a 15/20 (Standard wall outlet) RV you need an adapter to go to 30 amps and a dogbone type to go from 30-50

For a 30 you need one from 30-15, (So you can plug into a standard wall outlet) and 30-50 in case the 30 amp outlet is worn out (Common)

And for a 50 amp RV I suggest a dogbone to connect to 30, and a 2nd one from 30-15 (See above)

Always be prepared to plug into something other than what the plug fits.

OH,, And EPICALLY when plugging into a 30 amp outlet.. Test it first, both with a 3-lamp tester and a Voltmeter or use a Surge Guard, the kind with an LCD screen.. Some of those are NOT TT-30s they are dryer, or Equipment (Welder, Air Compressor, other machine) outlets and will fry your RV's electronics rather nicely. Letting all the magic smoke out.

And as you know,, Electronics run on magic smoke, you let it out, it no longer works.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote