Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
12' Lead on Tire Inflator - Do You Use One

How many of you use a lead like that shown in this picture?

I decided it might be a good idea to adopt this method until I tried to purchase a gauge with a 12' leader. Couldn't find one so I purchased a ball foot air chuck with locking clip and added a coiled hose I had laying around the garage to my current tire inflator gauge.

Does anyone know if adding this leader to the gauge will effect the calibration of the gauge?

If you have one of these where did you purchase it?

Is there a better style of chuck I should be looking at to make sure it seals on the valve stem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 foot leader.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	14995  
Attached Images

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That looks like something they would use back in older days when the trucks/RV's used split rims. It was a safety item in case the split ring that held the tire onto the rim came off while it was being aired up.

I doubt that you will find anybody using one with the solid rims they use today.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We started this summer using them, after
16 years in the auto, truck, & RV repair business we had a tire blow while putting air in. We do inspections for a local RV dealer on all there units and part of the inspection is to check tire pressure. While one of my techs was adding air to a 99 hurricane the inner left rear tire blow sending him to the ER. Once there they did a cat scan of his upper chest and face and removed about 10 or so small pieces of metal from his face and neck area. The Tech wears glasses and one piece of metal about 1/2 inch long went through the center of the glass, the glass stop it from coming all the way out, you could see about half of it sticking out the front side and feel the tip of it on the other side. Dr's at ER said that he would of lost he eye if it wasn't for his glasses. This all happen at 65-70 psi so just think about 85-120 what could of happen. We now have one in every bay. The ones that I bought has a 5-6 foot lead on them, I could not find any that was longer. 16 years in business and never had a workman's comp case till this I guess that's pretty good. Insurance paid out over $8,000.00 dollars on this case that was just medical my guy never missed any work over it. All this over a $75.00 tool and a Korea made tire.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
We started this summer using them, after
16 years in the auto, truck, & RV repair business we had a tire blow while putting air in. We do inspections for a local RV dealer on all there units and part of the inspection is to check tire pressure. While one of my techs was adding air to a 99 hurricane the inner left rear tire blow sending him to the ER. Once there they did a cat scan of his upper chest and face and removed about 10 or so small pieces of metal from his face and neck area. The Tech wears glasses and one piece of metal about 1/2 inch long went through the center of the glass, the glass stop it from coming all the way out, you could see about half of it sticking out the front side and feel the tip of it on the other side. Dr's at ER said that he would of lost he eye if it wasn't for his glasses. This all happen at 65-70 psi so just think about 85-120 what could of happen. We now have one in every bay. The ones that I bought has a 5-6 foot lead on them, I could not find any that was longer. 16 years in business and never had a workman's comp case till this I guess that's pretty good. Insurance paid out over $8,000.00 dollars on this case that was just medical my guy never missed any work over it. All this over a $75.00 tool and a Korea made tire.
I stand corrected. You will find some people using them which isn't a bad idea for safety.

Tod,
Where do you get the ones you use at work from?

Thanks,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304

I stand corrected. You will find some people using them which isn't a bad idea for safety.

Tod,
Where do you get the ones you use at work from?

Thanks,
Jon
NAPA
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used the lock-on air hose tip for the last couple of years. I'm getting some arthritis in my fingers and hands and it became very difficult to hold the tip on while airing up the tires. I use a Porta Cable 150 psi 6 gallon compressor. I just clamp on the nozzle and I can stand up and move away while the air is being added. At the tire place I use, they put any tire they are mounting in a tire rack that is supposed to contain the tire should it explode. I still kinda stand back a bit, quite a bit.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote