Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
12 years of RVing over and I'm good with it

After 1 year of selling our 2012 American Revolution I feel compelled to share my experience. We started out with a brand new Arctic Fox 27 ft TT, one year later traded for a Arctic Fox 5th wheel, had that for two years than factory ordered a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery39S, loved it and kept it for 5 seasons and traded up to 2012 AC Revolution 42W, really loved it but did have numerous issues. Still got 3 good seasons out of it and at the end of 2014 I could see our family going through some changes. We probably did things backwards but man was it fun. We have twins, boy and girl, and after 12 seasons of travelling to the same places I could see the last year when they had just turned 16 that interests were changing. The same old summer group kept shrinking a bit every year but the last year was the most. Kids were getting summer jobs, had girlfriends and boyfriends at home they didn't want to be away from etc etc.
So we sold our boat in 1 day, put up the coach and sold that in about a week for a really good price, and waited for RV depression to set in.....it never happened. We had the opportunity now to travel to different places last summer and we had a blast. Booked Europe this summer with the kids, also Maui, Whistler. We don't really miss the RV experience. We had so much fun doing it I would do it all over again. Anyways, once kids are out of the home we may get back into it, but right now I can smile about 12 years of tons of smiles and no regrets.
Travel on you guys, be interested if anyone else has stopped RVing for similar reasons.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Sounds like you made the right decision for your family. Good luck with the new adventures.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We hate to see you go, but I'll bet you will be back one day!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When our family went through that we never considered selling the RV! Had already sold the boat and boatwell and given up the yacht club membership too.

Good luck on your choice and do what makes you happy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

We're a bit older with a 7 year old. Been thru tenet, pop ups, travel trailers and are about to get our 3rd motor home. By the time our daughter is old enough to leave the house we may be done with RVing. But for now most of our free time revolves around 1 or 2 long trips and a bunch of short trips each year.

Sounds like you're getting the best of both worlds. Have fun
Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 AM   #6

After 5 1/2 yrs. full timing, I have a buyer for the coach and we're having a home built. We're going to do some overseas travel before we're unable to do it. It's been a great ride and wouldn't change a thing. Met great people, and some not so great, saw many places that we still talk about because of the lasting impressions they left with us, but there's so much to see, and some of it can't be seen through our windshield. So even though we're hanging up the keys, it doesn't mean we've lost the wanderlust.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the interesting input.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice story and one I'm sure many can relate to. You did it right and never doubt it. The memories will last a lifetime. Family first. When and if you return to the RV lifestyle I'm sure you'll make many more memories. You did it right.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
After 1 year of selling our 2012 American Revolution I feel compelled to share my experience. We started out with a brand new Arctic Fox 27 ft TT, one year later traded for a Arctic Fox 5th wheel, had that for two years than factory ordered a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery39S, loved it and kept it for 5 seasons and traded up to 2012 AC Revolution 42W, really loved it but did have numerous issues. Still got 3 good seasons out of it and at the end of 2014 I could see our family going through some changes. We probably did things backwards but man was it fun. We have twins, boy and girl, and after 12 seasons of travelling to the same places I could see the last year when they had just turned 16 that interests were changing. The same old summer group kept shrinking a bit every year but the last year was the most. Kids were getting summer jobs, had girlfriends and boyfriends at home they didn't want to be away from etc etc.
So we sold our boat in 1 day, put up the coach and sold that in about a week for a really good price, and waited for RV depression to set in.....it never happened. We had the opportunity now to travel to different places last summer and we had a blast. Booked Europe this summer with the kids, also Maui, Whistler. We don't really miss the RV experience. We had so much fun doing it I would do it all over again. Anyways, once kids are out of the home we may get back into it, but right now I can smile about 12 years of tons of smiles and no regrets.
Travel on you guys, be interested if anyone else has stopped RVing for similar reasons.
Sounds like you did it right, my boys a grown and married know so its just the DW and dog on camping trips. I took the family to Oahu Hilton Hawaiian village last sept great trip. They are more excited doing that than going camping.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm touched by the thoughtful introspective comments. It is impossible to compare the RV lifestyle VS Hotel/condo/cruising unless you compare it as how you and your family spent your vacation time. We still took a winter trip each year either to the Mediterranean or Florida, Maui, but it was difficult to justify spending money when we had a major asset sitting in storage. My wife and kids love the cruises we have taken, if not just for the pure relaxation of no cooking or cleaning.
I can see my wife and I getting back into it after we have put the kids through school. As silly as it sounds, I really miss washing and waxing the coach and polishing up those shiny rims! I didn't consider it work, it was good excersize and in the end, probably got me more a few$$$ in the sale.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

We have considered giving up the RV life, but we enjoy traveling with our three Papillons, visiting new places and relatives around this great country. At 72, I can see a time coming when we won't want to do this any more, but I hope that time is well in the future. Our dogs are not ready to stop traveling yet....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Gotta do what's right, and it sounds like you did! Congrats and enjoy your family's next chapter!
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #13

I grew up camping/hunting then the US Armed Forces interrupted that pleasure and when I got out going to college/finding work/getting married ----well life happened.

Then wife and I got a truck camper......she had NEVER been camping. She really took to it. Then came pop-up, then a bumper pull.....then kids. Bigger bumper pull and then less and less camping trips due to school activities and other endeavors.

Many years later.....single I got back into camping....tents this time around. Then met a lady out camping. Next thing we were a couple going camping 2-3 times a month.
Well things worked out where we could both retire early (50) and we ended up going Full Time. For 7 yrs we traveled all over the USA. Wonderful adventure. One of the best things ----great lifestyle.
Now we are settled into another home in a totally different area of the country enjoying another chapter in life...........but we still go camping !!!!!!!!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #14

It's just my husband and I and our two dogs and I can totally relate. My older son has a 5'vr of his own and enjoys the RV'ing and my daughter wants nothing to do with camping it unless it benefits her like tailgating at the Penn State/Ohio State Game. That being said when my husband and I decided to join the ranks we purchased free and clear a gently used coach that will afford us both the RV experience as well as family cruises, Walt Disney excursions, etc...giving us the best of both worlds. We actually put money on a 2016 MH at the Hershey Show this past fall and rescinded after two days after deciding that going in debt would cramp our lifestyle and that we really were not getting much for the additional 100K!

Kim

As a matter of fact we just booked a family vacation to Las Vegas for this may.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving