Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

15 amp extension cord

just wanted to say that i just purchased a 25 ft 15 amp extension cord for our camper ..we have a 30 amp plug,which i steped down to 120 ..and i plugged it in to a outlet in our home just to see what it would do..well i was able to power the 13.5 ac unit ..had lights ..plus fridge was on .and i was able to watch tv...so i know i now have the ultimate mancave if needed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I realize it's not the same situation, but be very, very careful. 30A to 50A Adapter Causes MH Fire

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

I've done it on mine. The cord gets a little warm, but no warmer than my Dyson vacuum cord.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Use common sense... and the shortest cord and heaviest gauge possible. Use a 25ft 14 gauge cable (10-12 gauge is better) instead of a 16 gauge, 100ft cable. Or a 50ft instead of a 100ft. Or a 50 and 25 instead of a 100. (You get the idea).

Run your full size 30A or 50A cable as far as possible then use the shortest 15A cord as possible attached to that.

You might want to refer to this page about extension cords (scroll down a ways to the chart):
Buying Guide: Extension Cords*at The Home Depot

I have 25ft & 50ft 30A cords so i can run up to 75ft of 30A cable but hopefully I'll never have to. It's better to be prepared than to be without!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
Use common sense... and the shortest cord and heaviest gauge possible. Use a 25ft 14 gauge cable (10-12 gauge is better) instead of a 16 gauge, 100ft cable. Or a 50ft instead of a 100ft. Or a 50 and 25 instead of a 100. (You get the idea).

Run your full size 30A or 50A cable as far as possible then use the shortest 15A cord as possible attached to that.

You might want to refer to this page about extension cords (scroll down a ways to the chart):

I have 25ft & 50ft 30A cords so i can run up to 75ft of 30A cable but hopefully I'll never have to. It's better to be prepared than to be without!
Yes I used a 15 amp contractors cord. Had my 30 amp shore cord pulled all the way out. I ran power thru it for about 45 minutes and checked the cord frequently. She never got very warm. I' m not planning on doing that a lot. Just wanted to see i could. So when cleaning up in there it would be cooler. Thx for the heads up though. !!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post

Good advice here. ^^^^.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First you did not step down to 120, a 30 amp RV is 120, You stepped down to 15 amp.

I would recommend a better cord, at the very least a 12 ga cord for that kind of service, The ones that Sears and K-Mart sell (Some of them) have a push button on the outlet that helps hold whatever is plugged into the cord inside the outlet.. I like those.

Or better yet, use 30 amp extension cords till you get to the outlet and then dogone it down.

Fact: Often we read of folks who have 30 amp TT outlets installed and when they plug in bad things happen. (Hundreds of dollars in electronic damage).

The electrician, like you, though you step a 30 amp rig down to 120 volt and put in a 240 volt outlet.

TT-30 (30 amp RV service) is 120 volt. Just like the 15 amp duplex outlet on the wall. The adapter only matches up the plugs.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #8

You don't say what gauge the 15 amp cord is. A 16 gauge may not provide enough "current" to START the air conditioner. The initial draw on start-up is what overheats the windings in the A/C motor, which will eventually fail. Some campgrounds don't have enough "voltage, at peak times, regardless of the quality of the cord.. Voltage should never drop below about 108 volts, or things will overheat, and fail. You can get by with the 15 amp outlet, as long as you turn on the A/C first, with nothing else running.You will have at least 110 volts, and 15 amps will start the A/C. Once the compressor gets going, then turn on the vacuum. etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mikeyk58,
You got the safety lecture, but Tom3205 posted the possible economic problem. Consider getting a plug in type meter to visually monitor the voltage. If the VAC is below 108 VAC then you are causing a "cancer" type damage to the appliances operating at that time. This is especially true for the HVAC unit. Operating outside the recommended voltage range will cause the life of the unit to be shortened considerably.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

Just had a 50 amp service, for our motorhome, added to our garage panel. You could probably do the same with a 30 amp service. They have the stuff at Home Despot. It is not that expensive and then you wouldn't have to worry.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It's sure nice to have power to the man cave.

All good advice but I would add that having a good EMS/surge protector would provide another layer of insurance. It'll shut down power to the rig if the line voltage drops below a safe level and protect you from surges which can turn everything plugged into toast.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
I found a nice 12 gauge construction cord at one of the home supply stores.
It is surprisingly flexible and approx 50 ft long.It also has a built in led on the end to show it is powered. It is also made for outdoor use. Seems like I paid around $50.00

I was surprised to find it in 12 gauge. Ga. only required 14 ga. for home wiring, unlike Va. and Fl. where we have previously lived. So it is better than my house wiring!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #13

thanks everyone for your replys ..i gotta say you have given me food for thought ..i defenately don't want to damage anything in the coach..i'll think twice before i try that again...thanks again
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

yes i got mine at lowes..it's a 16 ga construction ext cord...