Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #1

19.5" vs 22.5" wheels

I have read some posts here in regards to the 19.5" wheels vs the 22.5" wheels on gas class As. I do understand the 22.5" wheels are on larger units with bigger frames and have better CCC.

I also read where those with the larger wheels write of a better ride due to the larger frame and wheels. However, soooo many people with the 22.5" wheels write about the CHF, adding a steering stabilizer, torsion bars, changing shocks, etc! (The 19.5" wheels owners write of this too..lol)

Do the larger frames and wheels NOT make for a better ride ?

We are looking in the 33' range of class A that have both wheels sizes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
When an RV owner says, "A better RIDE" that can mean a lot of different things. It's like comparing apples and oranges. The 22.5" tire will give a better ride in regards to passing over small bumps like expansion joints and tar lines we see on some roads. WHY??

Some of what I'll mention is also dependent on the make of the tire. All tires require a minimum pressure so they run cooler. If your pressure is below the minimum it may build to much heat and destroy the tire. On the other hand the higher the pressure the stiffer the side wall and the harsher the ride.

All tires have a maximum pressure. At that pressure the tire can safely carry its maximum load as well. Our 19.5" tires have a max pressure of 110. I don't carry the max load so I run at 84 lbs. That's still OK as far as heat and my ride is also OK.

If you are running 22.5" tires you can carry less pressure and you can still safely carry your load so you will have a better (softer) ride. Usually a larger RV will ride better. The weight does help with the ride and handling. It's kind of like a Cadillac versus a Chevy Nova. I'm only familiar with coaches 34', 31' & 23'.

The CHF deals with the SWAY and not so much with the tire RIDE. Yes sway is part of the ride but controlled with good shocks and either the CHF or thicker SB's (stabilizer bars). Sway control is something that all rigs deal with but as stated it is separate from what the tire does to the ride.

Also consider that the handling also deals with lateral movement which is controlled by a TB (track bar). The F-53 chassis has a front TB but most add a rear TB to control what happens when a semi approaches from the rear. That wall of air laterally moves the coach which is not SWAY movement.

Hope this helps.

TeJay

Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do the larger frames and wheels NOT make for a better ride ?
Generally NOT. A bigger tire mostly just carries more weight, though they may bump a little less on smaller ridges or pavement defects.

Those chassis upgrade things you mentioned have mostly to do with steering and handling, not ride comfort.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #4

Thank you for the info!

We are looking at a 33' Georgetown with the 19.5" wheels, and the same floor plan on a 33' Bounder with the 22.5" wheels.

The CCC on both units are pretty close. The cost difference right now is about 9 grand for the larger frame, wheels, brakes, and water tanks / grey & black on the Bounder plus some interior things.

Be nice to park them side by side so I could spend time going through them !
Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The wheel size is not a big factor in choosing a coach IMHO. Floorplan, condition, amenities, etc. are higher in the list of considerations.

I had a 37' gasser in 19.5" wheels. Worked just fine.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Best is to drive them and aww how they behave. Back in 09 when I purchased my RV I drive ford amd workhorse chassis, thought the workhorse drove and felt much better vs the ford. Both were from the same dealership driven in the same road and both were fleetwood (bounder and pace arrow) and both had 22.5in wheels.

I feel those updates (stabilizers, shocks, etc) affect ride and handling however I guess it can be kinda a fizzy line separating the two. Dealing with crosswinds or semi air is that ride or handling? Kinda both with is what those upgrades help with.

Larger doesn't always mean heavier, depends on how the wheels and tires are designed. I would bet the larger size does weigh more more but probably not a huge increase. More weigh means slower steering, worse mpg, slower acceleration and the list goes on. They also cost more.....
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

I'm glad the workhorse chassis is no longer available.....one less decision to make.....LOL !

Just trying to determine if I need or would benefit from the larger chassis on the Bounder! Interior wise they both offer the same features and floor plan. I do like the dash layout more on the Bounder, and the hinges on the TVs allowing for storage behind them.

Thoughts on resale value for these two units ? Bounder 33C and Georgetown 335DS.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #8

You will have a better ride, frame, brakes etc and bigger safety margin with the 22.5s.
Don't look back and be sorry.
Plus they just look better.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

I assumed you were considering used thus my workhorse vs ford comment

Resale isn't much of a issue, either way it will not be in your favor. Get the floor plan that you like best, that's what matters the most. Be it the layout of certain areas or whatever pulls you to one over another.

For me my next RV will be from fleetwood, I was extremely impressed with how the company worked with me when we had a few issues. They are only 2.5 hours away from where I live thus for me I want the option of getting factory service if needed.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
I assumed you were considering used thus my workhorse vs ford comment

Resale isn't much of a issue, either way it will not be in your favor. Get the floor plan that you like best, that's what matters the most. Be it the layout of certain areas or whatever pulls you to one over another.

For me my next RV will be from fleetwood, I was extremely impressed with how the company worked with me when we had a few issues. They are only 2.5 hours away from where I live thus for me I want the option of getting factory service if needed.
No, I am looking at new units. The Bounder is a 2016.5 (six speed) and the Georgetown is a 2017. Both have the same floor plan. Major difference is the chassis.

Being close to factory service would be very nice!