Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
1977 Allegro Bay

A 1977 Allegro Bay RV with a 440 /Automatic/Chrysler Chasis is being offered for sale in my area. Only 40K miles, and solid mechanically. Anyone believe buying such an 'old' unit would be a nightmare moving forward? Owner was a mechanic and the drive train, tranny, motor and tires are all good. My goal is to 'update' the cosmetics, upholstery, seat covers, paint job and perhaps add a solar panel array on the roof with an inverter for battery use. Comments, concerns welcome.

Sparkster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As with any RV purchase it depends on if it fits your needs. New is always nice but sometimes older units can fill ones needs at a savings. Caution is always the thing when it comes to older units, parts can be difficult to find, many items have changed over the years. You say tires are good, check the date code on the tires not just the tread. Just do some close inspection on roof condition, check for prior water damage throughout. Hire someone to inspect it for you, it could save you a lot of money in the long run. It is well worth doing if your new in the RV world. Good luck.

Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
First, I think it would be very cool to restore a 70s vintage Motorhome, but restore, not modernize from a cosmetic perspective. If it has ratty green shag carpet, find new green shag carpet. Orange and yellow flowers on the upholstery or curtains, find something similar in style. You get the idea.....

Watch the tv show Flippin' RVs, and do in a 70s style what they do to vintage travel trailers.

But, and this is the very big but........ You better have time, patience, money, patience, money, skills, money, skills, and patience. When all else fails, you need time and more money.

And after it is all done, patience when using it.

Watch Flippin RVs, and see what they run into restoring those old trailers, which luckily do not have old drive trains to deal with. Just like with old homes, every time you go and open something up to fix one thing, chances are you find 5 other things you have to deal with. And no telling what the drive train is really like after 40 years of basically sitting.

And things like the head, showers, and holding tanks are not nearly what they are like in newer coaches. Of course the electrical systems while simple, are primitive. The AC is probably marginal at best, and who knows what the furnace is like after sitting 40 years. The fridge is probably marginal at best, and fridges that use propane need to be very carefully examined by someone who really knows them (or just plan on replacing it anyway). It will be a lot more like real camping, than glamping in a new RV.

I love my cars, and love to use them. And many times I thought about getting some vintage collector car, but I always seemed to buy something new because I did not have the patience to own one that I was actually going to drive often, and not just sit in my garage.....

Btw, Tiffin may be able to still help you with some of the parts. There are also some independent shops in Red Bay AL that do all sorts of Tiffin work.......

Good luck, but go into this eyes and wallet wide open, not on a wing and a prayer. And remember, worst case is you get into it and find out it actually is a lost cause, so you may actually end up loosing it all, plus whatever you put into it.
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote