Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #1

1979 sprinter

hi i am looking at a 1979 sprinter motorhome with a 440 motor it is 28 ft long, wondering if anybody here was familar with this model, thanking u in advance for whatever info u may give me john
johnlewis51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #2

It may be worth your time to check out the chassis serial number and production date. Dodge dropped the 440 at the end of the 78 model year.
You could not order it in a 79 P/U, I tried.
Dodge was also in trouble for re-serial numbering some class A M/H chassis ; they had 78s that didn't sell and kept re-numbering them until they were caught and fined in 1980.
JMHO. If you are sure it's a 440 it may be a 78 chassis, with the body not added till 79. If it is a79 class C, the engine may only be a 360.
Is the distributor at the front of the engine or the rear , behind the carb.?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #3

thanks that is interesting, i go on mon. to look at it, which is the 440 dis. in front or rear, fr. what i have heard the 440 which is matched with 727 trans. is strong and dependable in these old rigs, this 1 only has 60000k about 45000m which im told that doesnt even have that engine broke in yet what do u think, i was told to look for manifold leaks anything else i should check thanks again john
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

440, has distributor in front, on angle towards passenger side, could have a ThermoQuad or Holley 4bbl carb. Gold float bowl visible under front of air cleaner it's a Holley ( these carbs are prone to leaking if the unit has been parked for a while and have to be re-built ) If it's running and you smell fuel under the hood , shut it down . Fire hazard.
Black plastic = Thermoquad. JMHO. better carb.
Both engines 440 / 360 would have a 727 trans.
Exhaust manifolds & valve cover gaskets. Chrysler went through about 5 change ups on the V/C gaskets , to get something that wouldn't bake and split, with the high under hood temps.
440 , treated properly is a 250,000 mile engine.
Early 440s had valve seal issues , by 78 they had those solved.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

hi drove 100mile to lok at wouldnt start blamed bad batt not to bad after he changed bat 3 times was able to start and run gas gauge hard on e no movement at all when k turned off or on let idle for 15 min or so sounded good leaking a little oil around valve covers nothing to worry about timke for drive not much gas so got to be short went 1/4 of mile gas to floor would not go 20 mph so i brought it back and said no thanks but thanks for whatever info anybody gave me still looking so will be back im sure thanks again john
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy Sorry to hear this

We just joined this site a month ago or so. We feel real lucky we bought a 82 Pace Arrow last season and it looked like hell (dirty, blk mold, been sitting alot the past few years as the guy had a stroke and didn't do much with her but we took a chance and we really lucked out. We knew the owner from a car club we belonged to (actually bought a 64 deville convert from him a month before, kinda had hope's he wouldn't take us for a ride) I had the exhaust fixed, cleaned it up, took 8 hours of pressure washing a week of rubbing and she looks almost new again. 44,000 miles. We put on almost 4,000 miles on her. We only had 1 problem so far and that was a clogged fuel filter. Replaced it and she has been real nice to us.
Keep looking don't give up and you'll find something I am sure. I have more up to date pictures but can't seem to get them to upload or download (what ever they are suppose to do)
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #9

sweet
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis51 View Post
hi drove 100mile to lok at wouldnt start blamed bad batt not to bad after he changed bat 3 times was able to start and run gas gauge hard on e no movement at all when k turned off or on let idle for 15 min or so sounded good leaking a little oil around valve covers nothing to worry about timke for drive not much gas so got to be short went 1/4 of mile gas to floor would not go 20 mph so i brought it back and said no thanks but thanks for whatever info anybody gave me still looking so will be back im sure thanks again john
That year of 440 Mopars are very basic... If you like the rv,,, could be something very simple... With an empty gas tank (if the gauge is right) then you have plenty of water in it... Was it missing, sputtering ,,etc?? Wish you were closer,,, built many a Mopar motor... That 440 would (should) pull stumps all day long.... Good luck on your search... We looked over a year to find this one,,, my first chevy... Wish we had a big block, but can't beat the 12-14 mpg on a class A !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote