Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #1

1st RV to have PDI- de-winterize?

Hi all!

I'm about to have a PDI on a brand new TT next week. It's winterized, but I have the option to have them de-winterize it. Weather is going to be between 50s and high 60s per forecast next week. I would like to have a comprehensive inspection though--should I get them to dewinterize it before the PDI? Or does it really matter in terms of looking for leaks, testing out the faucets and all? My sales guy said that the antifreeze would show if there is a leak.

Also, are there any surprise fees I should watch out for like ridiculous document fees? We agreed on the sale price at a recent RV show and there is already a service and handling fee added to that.

Thanks for your time!

Mr Nervous
b22mundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 02:33 AM   #2

Yes, they need to de-winterize it to properly test the plumbing's ability to hold pressure.

When I PDI I use air pressure to bring the entire fresh water system up to around 70psi and leave it there for at least 15 minutes or so. IF I lose more than 5psi I have a leak somewhere that will drip water if is was under water pressure.

They also need to completely flood the black and gray tanks well up into the coach to check for leaks at the base of the shower, base of the toilet and every trap -so, yes, they have to de-winterize it in order to do a proper PDI.

The only added cost to de-winterize and re-winterize is 2.5 gals of antifreeze - the labor should be the same since they need to pressurize the system to do a PDI anyhow.

I would have them re-winterize it if you're in an area where it may drop below freezing anytime soon. If you're not familiar with how to de/re-winterize your new coach then ask them to show you how step-by-step during the walkthrough when take delivery. Enjoy!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would have them de-winterize it so it's ready to go when you pick it up!

I would refuse to pay ANY fees that were not spelled out for you during the purchase!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Wow thank you for the helpful and informative response, 94-Newmar.

I was wondering if they would normally air pressurize the system to check for leaks but as I expected the sales guy did not know too much technical details. However he is letting me examine the RV before the actual PDI so I can make a list for the tech to focus in on--I did notice things when it was in the RV show: like too big of a gap between the bathroom door and door frame that I can open it with a good yank without turning the knob, and kitchen faucet that doesn't seem to be solidly tightened at the base.

I would consider myself a handyman, but this is my first RV, and I don't want to hassle with having to keep towing it to the dealer too much. I appreciate if anyone has any suggestions significant areas to examine.
b22mundo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter