Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2 Fatalities

Never easy to see a post like this, but we all need to remember how powerful our RVs are.

2 killed in crash on U.S. 441 in north Marion - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
Never easy to see a post like this, but we all need to remember how powerful our RVs are.

Not rushing to judgment, but just a reminder to keep your distance, and pay attention, lots of gadgets in the cab of an RV, as WE get older our reaction time is slower, I try to keep "extra" distance between, but sometimes its hard with drivers pulling in front of you.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post

Considering that it appears that all the vehicles ahead of the Class A were stopped and the amount of damage ... my guess is that the Class A driver had

a medical emergency of some type that incapacitated him
or
brake failure
or
distracted driving - didn't see stopped vehicles until too late

possibly, some one cut him off and he lost control and couldn't stop

The key is the damage to the other vehicles; that took a lot of speed.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #4

This is what I would term a "major accident."

Two dead and a senior driver who must feel terrible about it.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
Old 06-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

Police concurred the rv drivers statement that he couldn't stop in time. ...I'm leaning towards the Cadillac cut him off
Old 06-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #6

Even if the cadillac cut him off, he was going too fast to stop in time for the bobtail.

I hope the RV has super insurance, I have a feeling it will be well tested.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Police concurred the rv drivers statement that he couldn't stop in time. ...I'm leaning towards the Cadillac cut him off
The police concurred with a TRUCK driver's statement which didn't include anything about the Cadillac cutting in front of the coach:

According to a witness — truck driver Lesley Wilford — northbound traffic had stopped south of the traffic light at County Road 329, which is just south of the split. The RV ran into the back of the car, which went into the back of the truck cab. The RV drove over the car, went airborne and hit the back of the truck cab, leaving a large dent in the cab, and then rolled over. At the end of the chain-reaction crash, the truck cab hit the back of the Mercedes-Benz.

After a preliminary review, the Florida Highway Patrol concurred with Wilford’s description of what happened.

From the preliminary report it certainly appears the RV driver was at fault.

Such a terrible tragedy.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #8

Ok, yea, I read it wrong. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The police concurred with a TRUCK driver's statement which didn't include anything about the Cadillac cutting in front of the coach:

According to a witness — truck driver Lesley Wilford — northbound traffic had stopped south of the traffic light at County Road 329, which is just south of the split. The RV ran into the back of the car, which went into the back of the truck cab. The RV drove over the car, went airborne and hit the back of the truck cab, leaving a large dent in the cab, and then rolled over. At the end of the chain-reaction crash, the truck cab hit the back of the Mercedes-Benz.

After a preliminary review, the Florida Highway Patrol concurred with Wilford’s description of what happened.

From the preliminary report it certainly appears the RV driver was at fault.

Such a terrible tragedy.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Even if the cadillac cut him off, he was going too fast to stop in time for the bobtail.

I hope the RV has super insurance, I have a feeling it will be well tested.
Fl minimums:
" The minimum requirement is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability " After those amounts you would have to go after the person's personal money.

Florida is also a no fault state. I don't know how it works.
https://schwedlawfirm.com/insurance/...uto-insurance/

In 2015, 13.0 percent of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, was uninsured, according to a 2017 study (latest data available) by the Insurance Research Council (IRC). The percentage has been rising since it hit a record low of 12.3 in 2010.My guess it is much higher in FL.

Everyone should have a good policy and Un-insured driver's ins. You can't depend on the other guy to have any.

Generally, stay out of Fl if you can it is a very weird place.
WTFlorida? Four Theories on Why Florida Is the Weirdest State
https://www.more.com/entertainment/f...weirdest-state
Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very Unfortunate,

I live in MI and it is a no-fault state. I was in an accident 5 years ago where the other driver was at fault. She had $25,000. in insurance. I had a good size uninsured - under insured driver policy.

I had a neck injury requiring a fusion, metal plates and screws. I have damage to 6 facet nerves on the left side of my neck. Lost a lot of strength in my left arm and hand.

I had to sue my insurance company to pay my policy which I did get. Hers paid the $25,000. With no-fault, you get what they have, have to fight for your policy, and IF (and she had nothing), you can sue them for that.

Doesn't fix the permanent injuries that will never be the same. In case of death if you have no uninsured driver or under insured driver, you get nothing.

None of this means anything if someone is killed. Your family suffers and the person responsible has to live with that the rest of their life.

Good reminder of how serious driving is for everyone no matter what you drive.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #11

I'm sure the RV driver is going to be a changed man due to this accident.
I do find it frustrating when I am driving and trying to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me that almost every time a car will change lanes and fill the gap. Too bad that car drivers don't understand how much longer it can take an RV or large truck to stop than they can.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sad! I can't imagine what that RV driver is going through!

Hopefully each of us will remember this when we are on the road and maintain a LOT of distance from the vehicles ahead.

Actually, in this case it sounds like the RV driver was distracted by something. If all the other vehicles were stopped and he hit the car that hard, then I don't think he was slowing down with the other traffic.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #13

IMO it's a case of following too close, too fast, plus momentary incapacitation.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #14

I don’t see any skid marks behind the MH and you can see a long way back.
Closed Thread