Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2 gensets at the same time

when dry camping we use a small 2000 watt Yamaha generator for most of our needs, however when we need the microwave we need to start the large onboard unit, I always shut off the small one before using the big one...can you run both at the same time without damage....????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That depends on how your rig is wired. On ours the auto changeover is set to prefer the onboard gen set. Starting it automatically disconnects shore power and changes to gen set power. However, it is hard on the switch and our instructions warn against it

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker17 View Post
when dry camping we use a small 2000 watt Yamaha generator for most of our needs, however when we need the microwave we need to start the large onboard unit, I always shut off the small one before using the big one...can you run both at the same time without damage....????
I do the same and have a transfer switch. I always make sure all 120 volt useage is off before starting the onboard generator, if not it can cause arcing of the contacts in the transfer switch which isn't good. I leave the small generator running because the onboard generator is the default power source when it is running. You cannot run the two generators together without a synchronizer if you don't have a transfer switch.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. If you have a transfer switch that preference is onboard jenny, the outboard genny is where the shore power cord is connected, and any large AC loads are turned off.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Why would this arrangement be of interest ? unless the on board genset was so miserable ? With a modern diesel genset, it burns at least half the amount of fuel of any gasoline unit, and low noise, no need to carry & store, etc etc.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normal wisdom many not apply here but here it is:

Starting the generator while plugged in to shore power (you little Yahama, good choice by the way, qualifies as "Shore Power" for this discussion) can harm the automatic transfer switch because of the inductive spike when it opens before it connects to the other source and because of mis-matched phase when it transfers.... HOWEVER.

This is a situation that applies MOSTLY if the Air Conditioners are running, Other loads are either very small in comparison or non-inductive (like the water heater, that is a pure resistive load)

SO, based on that, if you have a 50 amp rig, I do not see a problem (Since the Yahama can not put out 20 amps)

If you have a 30 amp rig, the chance of a problem is higher, but I still think it's small.

So I think the major issue would be when you shut off the big generator and the loads drop back onto the Yahama. But it's internal protection should cover that.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
What is a Yahama ? May guess a Yamaha ? Only completed 6th grade here, so never sure on such high tech things !
Dave M
Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

Genset,

Reason is if you do a lot of dry camping a small Yamaha or Honda (2K) will run on about a gallon for 10 to 12 hours. Second reason is you can move the small gen set as far away as possible and not have any noise to listen to all day or night.

But for quite a few of us its a savings over time. My 8kw Onan uses about a half gallon of diesel an hour. I dry camp for three months each year so using one gallon of gas per day instead of five or so gallons of diesel is quite a savings.

We also travel more than most, 25,000 miles a year, and run the 2k in the evening and at night when parked at rest stops and Wal-Mart or even at some truck stops. I leave the 2k in the back of the pu toad and just plug in with a regular house extension cord.

Why do I need all this power, well we have a house refrigerator and a 14 cu/ft freezer in the back of the pu and we like to run them as many hours a day as practical. In the summer when I'm fishing I need to run the freezer as much as possible as I try to put 10 to 15 pounds of fish in it each day.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Larry, do understand using what works for you. total surprise to use half gal per hour or 12 gal assy.
my experience indicates you have a larger than normal load on the onan. I have for 20 yrs run a 12.5 kW 24/7 in my mci coach, total average over 6000 hrs was .398 GPH or slightly less than 10 gal a day. total electric no lpg.
anyway just a thought.
cheers
Dave m
Old 09-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

Genset, So your generator ran 6000 hours at a rate of .398 GPH. That's 2388 gallons at lets say $3.50/gal. Equals $8358

My Honda burns .083 GPH times 6000 hours equals 498 gallons times $3.50 equals $1743.

Now I see why I paid a $1000 for that thing.

But in all fairness, yes I do have to shut it down and fire up the Onan if I want to run an air conditioner. My summers are spent in Alaska and we have never needed to yet. We have on occasion when on the road between seasons.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Oh Larry, Looks like your math logic is right up there with your other logic, Double WOW !!
I only have been thru 6th grade but math is still math or maybe your using the new math ? Or are "Clueless" ?
.083 gph X 24 hrs = 1.992 Gal per day,
Bet your Class A gets 35.5 mpg up hill both ways or your calculator needs new batteries ?
Guess again
Dave M
Old 09-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My 8kw Onan uses about a half gallon of diesel an hour.
You forgot the rest of the equation: it's 0.5 gal/hour at 50% load. That's a whopping 4000 watts and far more than you are using if the little Honda 2000 can supply the power. At a full 2000 watts the Onan uses only about 0.25 gal/hr and could go as low as 0.13 gal/hr at 1000 watts or less.

Conversely, that Honda won't run 12 hours on a gallon except at idle (no load). Per Honda's own specs, it's only 4 hours at full load (2000 watts), or about 0.27 gal.hour. Surprise, surprise! It's the same as the big Onan!

That said, moving the portable Honda away from the coach itself, for reasons of both noise and exhaust fumes, is a plus that I would not ever sneer at.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #13

I really only wanted to provide some info for all. We love our little Honda, and I primarily got it so I could move it some distance from the motor home and not have to listen to the big Onan run all day. Everyone can take their numbers and shove them..I fire the Honda up at 7 am with a full tank and it's still running at 7 pm with no additional gas. The load, well I don't know the load, I watch tv, run the microwave, and have a freezer and refer running all they want, plus keep the batteries charged. No solar cells.

I'm assuming the Honda holds a gallon, I use a five gallon can of gas running it five days. We normally shut it off after 12 hours and rely on batteries the rest of the evening before shutting everything off for the night.

I'm done taking crap from anyone with a 6th grade education on this subject. Genset, waste all the money you want running that big overkill genset. Probably can hear it run all day too.

My last post on this subject. I know this isn't suppose to get personal, but I don't think I started it.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
yes, do not wish to argue about what you like nor how you use it. Was simply trying to point out with my "6th grade Ed" noticed an error in your superior math skills, Oh chances are my Ed is is plenty to cause engineers to go back to the books to correct their ideas sometimes. I always tell folks about the 6th grade, they usually look like idiots, laughter follows..
Enjoy, and do what makes you happy.
Dave M