Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

2 month countdown to Full timing

Last month we bought our first RV. We really did try to buy our 3rd RV first! LOL We bought a 30' Heartland North Trail travel trailer. We haven't had a chance to take it out for a maiden voyage as we've been so busy having an estate sale, getting the house ready for sale, etc. Plus it's been pretty nasty weather, lots of snow. We are both retiring the end of May. We don't plan to settle down here in Colorado for retirement as we are selling our home (we just went under contract on it last night). We're not sure where we want to settle, we'll figure that out later. But our plans are to travel around the USA this summer, fall and then go to Floirida for the winter. Next spring we'll decide if we want to keep traveling or settle down somewhere.

My husband and I have read pretty extensively all of the posts and tips on here. We've read about a dozen books on full timing. We are both pretty adventurous and "go with the flow" but at the same time since we've never owned an RV before we are a little nervous. But we're jumping in with feet first!!!! LOL

We plan to set sail June 3rd. Any words of wisdom to ease our butterflies???
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #2

Yes. There will be surprises and challenges. They are part of the journey.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #3

That sounds like my dream! Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you have it pretty planned out. Take it slow and take time to enjoy the roses along the way. Visit the full timers forum in the "Forums" tab above. Ask questions along the way.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Don't be in a rush seeing the different states. There's a lot more to see off the main drags. Also, don't be in a rush to settle down again. One year is not enough time to experience full-timing. Best of luck to you and have fun!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats. We are a few months behind you as we just need to sell the house first. Remember to take it slow, you are no longer in a rush to get anywhere. When you get all packed remember to pack a good attitude, and patience as there are times you will need both

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #7

Take the new RV out and stay in it as much as possible before you go full time. New RV's can have a lot wrong with them and can require many trips back to the dealership.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #8

Just go slow and learn as you go. That's what we did since starting full time in 2011. We have enjoyed every minute and hope you will too.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the fulltiming! We won't be far behind I hope!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
Last month we bought our first RV. We really did try to buy our 3rd RV first!
Congrats and I'm jealous!

You did more research than most of us. Can you tell me why you went the TT route versus Class C, 5'er, etc.? I assume you had the tow vehicle already?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have some words of wisdom, wisdom gained from experience.

Living Small
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

OKCnewbie - We already had our truck, it's a F-150 eco boost. We were debating between a light weight 5th W, or travel trailer. After looking for the past 2 years at RV shows, all the different models in person, we decided to go the TT route. If in a year or two we still are full timing we might decide different. Since this is our first RV we were a little hesitant to get a huge unit. We felt the 30' TT was a good size. It's got 2 recliners in the back with a big picture window, love seat, dining area and kitchen for the living area. It's big enough we don't feel cramped in it. For now....it suits our needs.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Congrats. We are a few months behind you as we just need to sell the house first. Remember to take it slow, you are no longer in a rush to get anywhere. When you get all packed remember to pack a good attitude, and patience as there are times you will need both

momdoc
I like that. Will have to add that to the packing checklist -- Good Attitude
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote