Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

2001 Monaco Windsor questions

Thanks for such an informative forum, been finding many answers to questions I have been needing answers for on here. I have been working on a good friends 2001 Monaco Windsor 38 Pusher now a few weeks in my spare time. hes the Second owner of the Bus, and we are updating the AV system and TVs, and working thru a few minor issues as well, surprising for a coach with only 68K miles on it.. It is a Roadmaster Chassis, Cummins Diesel.

First up, I need to install a trailer brake control, a Tekonsha Voyager, and reading other posts, I know I need to tap into the brake signal wire off the Monaco 1 Fuse box in the curbside Power Center, need to run the Brake control wire to the back, since its factory wired for 6 wire, lacks the 7th for brakes sadly. Does anyone know the wire I need to tap to make it easy, or ill just get a second pair of legs to push the brake as i probe the connector.

Secondly, after a bit of digging i was able to reprogram the keypad to the owners secret code, and every now and then after entering the code, nothing happens, wait for the key pad to rest and enter it again and nothing. Door remains locked. I enter 559, or 555 to Lock everything i hear the actuators cycle then enter the unlock code again and the Door will unlock. Is there a way to have it unlock the Bay doors as well? I tried adding 9 to the end of the code and I hear the actuators cycle, the door is unlocked, but the bay doors remain locked. I manually unlocked the nearest bay door, and did the 9 code and while it unlocked the main door it oddly locked the bay door..

On the same subject, the coach does have the key fob module, for key-less entry. I had to wire up a valet switch to it as it was unplugged and gone. But the owner would like at least one key fob if he can get one. I've read posts to just eye eBay for one as the OEM ones are No Longer Available.. IS there a better way? I have no issues replacing the wireless module, If I can sort out the wiring.. In place of parking light flash this is wired into the map lights in the front to blink when I triggered the Valet switch to try an old key fob from an old Coach he had.

Already done a ton of work to the coach, replaced the Factory Sony CD Player as the FM band was dead, as well as the changer control, found the cable had been cut. Replaced it with a newer CD Changer and head unit he had available, Monaco sure loved Zip Ties, running that changer cable back up to the upper cabinet was quite the fun ordeal. ended up leaving the AV and control cable behind the A Pillar cover. TV is being updated to a flat screen, that is a work in progress. the DVD player/ Home theater system is also dead, plays audio CD's with a bit of trial and error, but DVDs will play 1 in about 20 attempts. Replaced it with a Pyle 5.1 Bluetooth Amplifier, that I can plug in all the existing speakers to, and a standard DVD Player to simplify things. I also have to pull the old Kingdome Dish off the top and replace it with a Tailgater as King wants more for the new reprogrammed Logic Board for the old Dome, than a new Tailgater system. Apparently Dish changed their downlink coding to make some of their older equipment no longer function, so I can never get a solid link to the satellite with a clear shot to the southern sky.

Other than that, its just been a few switches and bulbs that needed changing out, and fixing normal wear and tear items. I would love to get my hands on an actual wiring schematic for this chassis at some point. I hate seeing white wires everywhere, made worse when you have 20 White wires, and 3 of them have the same number on them..

Thanks for a great group!
Numinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the group. It sounds like you are making great progess. These are well built coaches that can last a long time with some TLC and a few updates.

I installed a trailer brake control a few months back. For a brake pedal signal you can tap into the brake pressure switch in the front inside the generator compartment up on the firewall. Have someone tap the brakes while you probe it with a volt meter and you will find it.
You will need to pull a wire from the drivers area all the way back to the trailer hitch. Not hard, but time consuming.
Lots of info in the thread below. Look at posts #14, 18. and 19.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/trailer-brake-control-prewire-2004-signature-366077.html

I just replaced our Essex keypad with a new one. The basement doors should open if you press 9 after the entry code and lock with 557 code. They are notorious for getting difficult after serveral years.
Also check and clean the contacts for the front door lock inside the door jam. It took me a week to figure this out!
This is the thread on the Essex keypad.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/help-with-essex-ke-1701-keypad-361586.html

Remocon makes a programmable remote. I've successfully cloned an original remote with a Remocon. You need to find out the original remote frequency and then you can purchase an inexpensive Remocon remote and have the seller program it, or purchase a Remocon programmer and do it yourself.
This is a thread on programming a remote for a Trimark system. Your system is an Essex, bit the same procedures for programming a remote apply. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/help-with-trimark-key-fob-programming-324146.html

Setting up a satellite dish is a mixed bag. I've successfully gotten some of the older systems to operate for a short time, but you are right. Purchasing parts can be expensive and they do not last. Many folks are switching to a Winegard Trav'ler or one of the new ones that is similar. These are full size dishes that will pull in three satellites simultaneously just like a home dish.

You may be able to find a wiring diagram at Northwest RV.
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/
You will find the issue even with a wiring diagram is locating the components.

Best of luck!

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Hi Numinex; I also own a 2001 Windsor, 34PBS. When I bought the coach, it also has the same brake controller. The previous owner had the 12V power to the controller disconnected because he had no trailer to pull. The wiring runs down into the cowl below the steering wheel. I only had that cowl off once to lube the upper U-joint on the steering shaft and did not pay any attention to where some of the wires went. If it was an easy removal, I would go look, but it is kind of a hassle to get that cowl all the way off. One or two of the wires that comes from the 7 blade receptacle by the trailer hitch run forward along the frame and then down across to the bay where the coach water pump is located on the left side of the coach. Those wires then run up forward along the frame to where the boot is for the steering shaft that comes through the coach floor and then up into the cowl area under the steering wheel. I think this is the route they took to get some wires from the controller to the rear plug. Whew!
Sorry, I don't have the keyless entry system. My friend has an 05 Monaco Camelot and when he enters the unlock code in the outside handle, both the entry door and the bay doors unlock. Same on locking. I have never seen if he has a key fob for the coach. Hope someone else here can answer your question for that system. The previous owner installed a 32" flat screen tv. I added a Samsung Blue-Ray DVD player. Was easy. Had HDMI on the player and back of the tv. I do not have the home theater system. I also replaced the in dash Sony/CD player with a new Kenwood/CD receiver. Also have the period Kingdome dish on top that is nothing but a bug catcher. What a waste to have a nice piece of equipment only to be outdated by the providers. After having the coach for 2 years, still no idea on what I will do besides keep catching bugs with it. I do have some wiring schematics that I got Monaco to send me before they quit providing that information. They are not exactly for an 01 Windsor, but close. I will have to talk to the computer wizard in the house, my wife, and see if I can send over what I have. Sorry, no promises. Got to dig through my saved e-mails from Monaco. Sounds like you have been busy. Make sure your friend buys you a beer now and then for your work. These Windsor's are good solid coaches. I am on my second one. Do almost 100% of the work myself. The wiring is fun. I will leave you with just one question. On your friends Windsor, do the front driving/fog lights only work with the hi-beam headlights on. I have been trying to remedy this to work otherwise with not success. Just asking. Know you are busy. Hope I gave you some answers. Have fun!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the Links Vito.a.. Ill have a look at them.. Getting cold here so I only get a few hours a day to work on it, till he gets the back bay open in his shop. Keeps me busy though, and out of trouble at my age!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

On our 2002 Windsor dialing the unlock code plus 7 unlocks the bay doors! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

8.30ilBurner, thanks that was the other question I had, do you know where the fuse for the 12V to the Trailer plug resides? I have everything at the 6 pin harness and the plug, Turns, brake, running lamps, backup, lamps but no 12V on the red wire in any switch position, with the motor running or not. He needs to be able to charge the race car trailer batteries after a weekend of racing when in tow. Just amazes me they went to all the trouble to wire it for 6 wire, (I know no one who uses 6 pin) and not for 7 pin. I'm just going to change out the Factory 6 pin for a 7 pin connector since all he plans to tow is the race trailer or the car hauler with it, both are set up for brakes..

Ive also got to drag a Cat 5 Cable to the rear and mount a box in the engine bay or lower compartment for his weather station hookup, and mount a box next to the dinette which will prob come thru the floor to a easy to get at box so he can tune his setup in the comfort of AC no the hot Race trailer..
Old 10-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

On our 2002 Windsor dialing the unlock code plus 7 unlocks the bay doors! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
7 was the magic number thanks! had to run over and try it and it unlocks everything, including the basement doors.. Thanks, owner is a happy camper now. need to make him a card to memorize his codes now...LOL
Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

8.3Oilbuner asks

"On your friends Windsor, do the front driving/fog lights only work with the hi-beam headlights on."

They come on independently with the driving light switch on the dash, with lights off, high beam and low beam. they are being replaced with some high output LED Fixtures real soon, as their output is quite lacking.. I was totally expecting to have to rewire them to stay on with high beams.. that's an easy fix if you know where the relay is, the high beam triggers a relay usually to open the circuit to the relay controlling the Driving light relay, simply put a jumper across the relay contacts to keep the path closed when the lights are in high beam. and easily removed when you sell it, if the person lives in an inspection state that does not allow them to stay on with high beams..
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

Hi Numinex; Trying to send you some PDF files for 2000 Monaco Windsor drawings. Have no idea if this will work. Opps, files are way to large that Monaco sent me. My wife was working on this as I do not know how to do it. Sorry. As for power, you can remove the panel right below the left console that has all the switches for leveling, etc. I think it is 3 or 4 screws behind the button covers over the screws. This will give you access down to the left front electrical bay. Remove the 3 plastic wingnuts to the cover of the circuit board. You will see some unused spades on the board that are hot all the time. You could tap into one of those along with an inline fuse for power. Is this the info for power you are asking? If not, let me know. Also thanks for the fog light info, except I have never been able to find the fog/driving light relay. Can you point me in the right direction!
Old 10-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #10

Ill see if I can find the relay, I believe it was in the Generator slide out area, Ill be all over that area soon, and will let you know if i find it. I've done the jumper mod on a few newer cars and trucks, and one other Coach a different friend owned, well before the fridge caught on fire and burned the coach to the ground, stupid design flaw that allowed ammonia to leak to the open flame of the propane system..

The power wire I am trying to figure out is the one back on the Trailer plug, Red wire should have 12V+ when the engine is running or key is on to charge the towed trailers Batteries. I read one topic where a relay needed to be added, and another where it said just a fuse needed to be put in one of the "Reserved" slots in the front lower panel. I was totally expecting to see trailer power or 12V tow power in one of the many panels... I've got the red wire back there but no juice...

I have laughed a few times how this thing is wired, the Car Stereo fuse is clear back in the bedroom panel, and yet the fuse for the CO Detector that is inches from the back bedroom panel is clear up in the outside front panel.. trying to find the right fuses has been a fun learning experience..
Old 10-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #11

Hi again Numinex; FYI, the whole trailer plug and controller were installed by a company in Tacoma, Wa. Everything was added to the coach. Nothing in that department came on the coach from the factory. So they tapped into what they needed for power to run the controller and supply 12V to the 7 blade plug by the trailer hitch.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #12

Hi again Numinex; My wife says that if you could send me a private message with your e-mail, my wife thinks see might be able to get the large PDF file that Monaco sent me for a 2000 Windsor over to you. If nothing comes across in the next couple of days, we were not successful. Will try anyway.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #13

PM sent! thanks again!!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinex View Post
7 was the magic number thanks! had to run over and try it and it unlocks everything, including the basement doors.. Thanks, owner is a happy camper now. need to make him a card to memorize his codes now...LOL

Glad that worked for you! Remember that if you want to just unlock the entry door then do not put the "7" after the main code! On my coach, "559" locks everything. If I want to lock the storage bays only I just open the entry door, then dial "559".
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco