Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
The something wrong is 150k miles. MH's with this kind of miles are VERY hard to sell. Why would you buy one with such high miles when there are so many with under 50k miles unless it is dirt cheap???
It's a diesel. The miles don't scare me engine-wise, but other components might have issues. I own an H1, those are diesel and mine has almost 140k miles on it but runs very well.

As a whole, used *anything* scares most people off because it seems like something is always breaking. Truth is, all parts have a finite life, but that life isn't the same across the board. Brand new vehicles all start at 0, so it's usually quite some time before anything has to be worked on. But once components start to fail, you are going to be making fairly regular trips to the shop.

I just want to make sure nothing huge jumps up and bites my ass right away!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:13 AM   #16

I believe a 2-3k drop in price would be a fair shared sacrifice for the lack of those advertised features. Even if the cost is less for repairs your time and effort to perform them also has value.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Turns out, my Plan B was in much better shape (even with 147k miles!) - had it inspected yesterday. I'll be buying that one from Texas Best RV.

Found another Houston area inspector as well. Tim, his # is 713 206 9348. $250 and he goes over everything with you.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #18

With pictures?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

No need to be confrontational, at least not yet. Show the inspection report to PPL, and thru them to the seller, and ask that those items be put into working order as part of the $45kselling price (as advertised, right?).

You can decide to negotiate the cost of repair, but I would not offer that up front. Since it is at PPL, there is a shop right there that can provide a repair estimate, or at least a range. RV repairs are very expensive if you cannot DIY, so don't cheat yourself with a low estimate. Here are some pure guesswork figures. Labor would be about $100-$120/hour:

Awning bracket: $100 parts + 1 hour labor
Washer/dryer: $300 parts (circuit board) + 2 hour labor
Dining table: $100 + 1 hour
Dash a/c: (Best case) $125 parts/materials + 1.5 hours labor
(Worst case) $400 parts + 3 hours labor
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Also be aware that the 2004 Neptune is subject to the Roadmaster R4R/RR4R chassis "trailing arm" issue, which was subject of a recall. This is a serious safety issue that must be fixed and many of them were not repaired before Monaco/HR went bankrupt.
See www.rv-chassis.com/RoadmasterR4R_FMC1109.pdf
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I knew about the trailing arm and sent the inspector information regarding that prior to inspection. He said it looked like they had been replaced, but with the same part lol.

PPL said the only thing they would fix was the table. I asked if the seller would fix the problems, and inquired about the time allowed to do so, and the sales manager said sellers never do that, just go back with a lower price offer, fix it myself, and see what they say.

He also said PPL will not diagnose the AC problem, as they do not have a shop that performs that kind of work. I believe it's probably the vacuum line but who really knows?

Too many problems for me...I went with the Expedition at Texas Best for the same price.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #22

There is a vacuum pump in the front compartment above the generator that is black in color and cylinder in shape that went out. It is made by Ford. Replace that it will work. That happen on my Cayman. Cost was $90.00
Old 10-07-2015, 11:21 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the Expedition. Looks like a good coach.
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I knew about the trailing arm and sent the inspector information regarding that prior to inspection. He said it looked like they had been replaced, but with the same part lol.

PPL said the only thing they would fix was the table. I asked if the seller would fix the problems, and inquired about the time allowed to do so, and the sales manager said sellers never do that, just go back with a lower price offer, fix it myself, and see what they say.

He also said PPL will not diagnose the AC problem, as they do not have a shop that performs that kind of work. I believe it's probably the vacuum line but who really knows?

Too many problems for me...I went with the Expedition at Texas Best for the same price.

So if you had to some up your experience with PPL how would you rate them?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #25

8 out of 10
Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2004 HR Neptune - Inspector found issues

I assume you cannot talk to the owners or you would work your own deal?

Old 10-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjoe55 View Post
8 out of 10

Thats pretty good have you made a purchase from them?

Old 11-08-2015, 02:40 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I assume you cannot talk to the owners or you would work your own deal?

Sorry for the delay, but the Expedition ended up having its OWN set of headaches!!

PPL is the middleman and although I never was adamant about contacting the seller directly, I was always nudged in the other direction by the sales guys.

They are a very no-pressure sales group, so if you are like me and don't want to have to constantly swat away a salesman, PPL is a good place to look at RVs.

I've heard a rumor (haven't confirmed) that PPL does offer a 30 day warranty with RV purchases. That would have REALLY come in handy with the coach I did buy elsewhere. It had a minor part (with MAJOR labor costs) go out on the way home...