Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

2004 Winnebago Journey

After sitting for the past few months my 2004 Winnebago Journey will not crank over to start. Along with not cranking, transmission control unit does not light up. Any help would be appreciated.
nmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmonty View Post
After sitting for the past few months my 2004 Winnebago Journey will not crank over to start. Along with not cranking, transmission control unit does not light up. Any help would be appreciated.
Since it want turn over what's the battery voltage? Do you have a engine battery disconnect?
Old 10-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Are the batteries charged up? That'd be the first thing I'd check.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 AM   #4

2004 Winnebago Journey

Batteries are fully charged and no battery disconnect switch.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
What chassis does it have?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Freightliner chassis. I beleave the problem is because transmission shift pad has no power, at least it doesn't light up telling what gear it's in. Been trying to find a wiring diagram for it, with no luck.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like poor battery connection, or ground wire. I'd remove all connections, clean and retighten. Special emphasis on the ground wire where it attaches to the frame. Sorry, you can't tell by looking at them, so forget that. Good Luck! And be sure to post back on the problem when found.....
Old 10-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It won't even attempt to crank if the tranny pad has no lights showing. That's because it cannot be determined the tranny is in neutral, so no go.

You may have a loose connection at the tranny computer or one of its associated relay boxes, usually found in a rear bay on the passenger side. Could also be a broken wire or bad connection at the shifter bad or the tranny itself, but the electronics module(s) is usually the place to start looking.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

I tend to agree with you on what maybe the problem. Haven't been able to find any relays for the tranny. Didn't find any broken wires at the shifter, fuse at batteries is good and didn't find any broken wires around tranny. Don't think the tranny is bad, don't know how it could have gone bad just sitting there. Have to get it going soon before the snow gets here and at a point I don't know what to do. Have searched all over the internet for a wiring diagram without much luck. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

2004 Winnebago Journey

Still no luck finding out why I have no power to transmission control pad. Haven't found any relays for transmission or circuit breakers. Checked inside all bays, front c/b panel and underside of motorhome. Trying to decide what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #11

If you are positive on healthy batteries, I see minimal downside to the advise on cleaning posts, and chasing down and also cleaning major ground connections.

I would also cycle off/on the salesman switch inside the front door, several times. If you can start the generator, do so, and let run a few minutes and try it again.

Other tips would be to check the ignition switch, that nothing has shook loose.

After parking it last time, did you do any other maintenance or work on the coach or engine area? If so, then consider if any of that work may have resulted in an area to check.

You might also call and talk with CAT (C7?) and or Allison, and see if going to NAPA/Autozone and getting a computer code reader could help. Frequently these codes need to be converted to CAT and Allison to interpret.

Best of luck to you on this, and please close the loop back and let us know the root cause!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll bet there is a battery cut off switch somewhere. Our Journey has one. If that is off nothing works.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago