Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #1

2007 Beaver 42 Tag or 2006 Country Coach Allure 470

I'm trying to decide which to buy.
A 2007 Beaver 42 foot Tag that i now understand has ten airbags and hydraulic jack's OR a 2006 country coach allure 470 42 footTag that has air leveling and independent front suspension....i don't know how many airbags it has.
They both look like great coaches. I'm looking for a very soft ride due to a back surgery.
Which would you choose and why?
Thanks very much for your help and information.
Mike
YouKnowMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Country Coach gets my vote for IFS and probably 12 bags and air leveling, as well as all the other outstanding aspects of CC rigs, given of course similar milage and condition.

Another important thing to consider is the engine size , make, year and Manufacturer. I’m partial to Cummins and it’s very likely that the CC has a Cat C9 or maybe a C13, which is fine, but not ideal. Cummins ISL or ISM would seal the deal for me.

Also smog equipment. Both should be prior to the troublesome years for diesels but you should find out exactly what emissions devices are on each, and the maintenance interval and cost of each.

So all that said, CC gets my vote all else being equal.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I know I'll get pushback from Roadmaster chassis owners, but the number of air bags has little or nothing to do with ride quality or softness. Basically every coach has enough square inches of air bag surface to support its weight on the axles. It makes no difference whether that surface area is divided among 4 vs 8 air bags cause the total air lift has to come out the same. Tag axle coaches have an additional axle so have at least two more air bags than non-tag coaches, but it's still just a share of the total load. Some suspension designs mount the air bags further outboard, which can help reduce lean in turns, but otherwise has no effect on comfort.

The larger Roadmaster chassis (as in that Beaver) use a suspension design that requires 4 air bags per steer or drive axle but only 2 on the tag. That means it has 10 air bags total. There may be some advantages to that design, but ride softness isn't one of them. It's no better or worse in that regard than the 6 airbag designs used on Freightliner and Spartan chassis. The 8 and 10 air bag Roadmaster chassis do not have IFS - the suspension design makes that impossible.

Country Coach uses their proprietary Dynomax chassis. Read a glowing description of it at the link below. Caution - it's from a Dynomax fan!

http://sherry-c-fanning.blogspot.com...lse-false.html

I think you will find that both of those coaches ride as well as any vehicle that size can do. However, I think a similar class of coach built on a high end Spartan or Freightliner chassis would do as well, e.g. under an American Coach Eagle or Tradition, Newmar Essex, etc.

A chassis with Independent Front Suspension (IFS) has some advantages on roads with potholes. IFS allows one wheel to move up and down without forcing the wheel on the other side of the axle to move with it. That can be smoother under more extreme conditions. On a decent paved highway, you probably won't notice any difference.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thanks for the explanation Gary. As you may know I’m currently trying to make a similar decision between Ventana (straight axle) and New Aire (IFS). Pretty significant price difference between the two and there are other factors I’m considering, but the New Aire has many other differences supporting the price difference. I’m most interested in ride comfort as I think the OP here is also. Hence my vote for CC in his situation. I drove a 2007 34’ CC and loved the ride, but not the interior noise and heat in the bedroom from the Cat C9. But I found your contribution here helpful.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

check Engine Serial Number

2006 Country Coach, If Cummins check Serial number for potential Wrist Pin problem. I would not buy any motorhome with Cummins Engine with potential problem, no warranty and estimate of 25K if engine goes.

That being said i do prefer Cummins over Cat due to parts availability and cost of repairs and Maintenance.

CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.
Consequence:

IF ALLOWED TO PROGRESS, THIS COULD LEAD TO ENGINE FAILURE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THE ROD RUPTURING THE BLOCK CAVITY. OIL AND DEBRIS ON THE ROADWAY COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Larry B
2003 Country Coach Intrigue
lbfrombigd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, country coach