Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2011 plans

What are people's traveling plans this year? We are limited to vacation weeks, made it to Mount Rushmore and parts in between from Massachusetts last year. The neatest thing we've realized is that our 10 year old has actually been to 25 states - I think that's really cool! We're thinking of heading towards New Orleans, and then memphis and back for the big trip. DH loves driving and we all love to explore. The kids are interested in history and geography. Would love to hear other people's plans. .....
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #2

I have found that at my age (Retired) that NO planning is the best plan.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We plan to pick up the motorhome we just agreed to purchase in a few weeks. Our final intent is to live fulltime by the end of the year, but until then we want to do short trips. The ones we are hoping to make are to Savannah, Charleston, Nashville, and New Orleans!
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

We haven't finalized plans as yet but are discussing Sedona, AZ and southern Colorado in the late Spring and the balloon festival in Albuquerque in the Fall. And, some shorter regional trips in between whenever we can, perhaps to a fishin' hole somewhere.

We are looking forward to hitting the road soon on the first of the shorter trips to the Texas Hill Country.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We're spending the winter between Arizona and San Diego then in spring plan to work our way north, through Minnesota into Canada... loop around the Great Lakes and then back down through New England coast in the fall.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska!!

We just got our 'Alaska Camping' by the Church's and 'Milepost'. Still not sure of the route to get into Canada, but once we do, we'd like to start at Mile '0' of the Alcan in Dawson Creek.

We have had these Alaskan thoughts since our first trip last summer. That one started out as a trip to WV. and a visit to son #2 in PA...ended up being a 27 state and 17 National Parks TOUR out West...sooo, we're not very good at PLANNING. I call it 'Planning on the Fly'! We just took it one stop at a time and before long, 10K miles and five months had slipped under the MH and we had a blast doing it!

All I really know is that we will have to be more self-sufficient and have to prepare the RV with a few more spares. I also have to keep the wife from watching any more of the TV show 'Gold Rush'...now she's a little concerned about the BEARS. I told her that Alaska's bears are not out to EAT her, but just in case - when we are out in the boonies, please..."DO NOT call me 'HONEY'"! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just in the early stages of planning but maybe a trip across the Southern half of the US from CA to Florida.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My vacation, this year, will be to the Oregon Coast with a number of long weekend trips to Oregon/Washington State Parks.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I have found that at my age (Retired) that NO planning is the best plan.

Ed
Our only planning is which direction of the compass to head first. Wife once asked "how long should we plan for? I replied "one week" the rest is a surprise- for both of us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
NJ to Key West for Easter and the Shenanhoah National Park for Memorial Day weekend.

Son #3 is doing 3 weeks of rock climbing in Lander, WY at NOLS so trying to convince DW that we should drive him out there.

But the favorite trip will be our Boy Scout Philmont trek - 2 weeks of backpacking in NM. DW will be touring Europe while I hike as I can't carry the motorhome on my back...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have our annual SC trip on track, but the rest of our vac. weeks are open for adventure! We've heard of a great oyster festival in Virginia in August, and plan to hit the cape one weekend, kind of tending towards New Orleans for the long trip, but not really city people, want to get into more natural adventures for the kids, but since people say to see New Orleans when you can, we feel we should. And I love the King, which is why Memphis is on the potential list. (as is Stone Mountain which we heard great things, - and Savannah). Oh, I wish we had more vacation time!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #12

We're heading NW from our current location in the Key's. We'll sidetrack to S. Padre, and the Houston, San Antonio areas, then on to Co. Idaho, Utah (Moab), and on.
Ernie
PS May even stop by the S&B N of Dallas.

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are heading to Disney World in the middle of March. Possibly another trip to Naples, FL at Easter. Cherry Blossoms in DC in April. Dover, DE Nascar race in May. We haven't gave much thought to a long trip this summer yet. Our three kids love to travel, so sometimes we just choose something in the middle of the week and we are off.

To all who have posted, enjoy your trips!
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #14

I just ordered the free America's Byways brochure and the Grand Circle brochure to do a little trip planning with. Between the two, that should keep us busy for a while.

We would like to hit as many National Parks and Monuments as we can while we are out here.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote