Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

2012 Forest River V-Cross

I have been reading about the Forest River V-Cross travel trailers. Just how aerodynamic are these units. I have a Wildcat fifth wheel, but, because of a hip replacement I am worried about the Wildcat steps to the bedroom and bathroom.
lwbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, I'm not into travel trailers, but from what I have gleaned from the trailer crowed over the years that have owned a tag a long first, not a one that I know personally ever wanted to go back to them after getting a fifth wheel. For the most part, new hip or not, you have to climb the steps to get into the unit. I think I'd wait and give the hip a chance to completely heal before giving a tag-a-long a serious thought. The V shape will giver you better areodynamics, but I don't think you will see a huge difenence in mileage.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with Mustang. The V-nose (and similar) designs may help a bit, but don't expect any great difference in mpg for that reason. However, a travel trailer is likely to be more fuel efficient simply because it is lower in height than a 5W. Frontal area is the major factor in fuel economy.

A friend here at the campground in Maine had a hip replacement about three weeks ago - he is still doing the therapy. He climbs in and out of his motorhome without undue difficulty and is getting stronger every day. I suspect that you too will do fine too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #4

Thank you Mustang 652 & Gary RVRoamer. I will heed your advice & continue to use my Wildcat. lwbones
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

My V-Cross

I have a 2012 V-Cross, 30 foot bunkhouse. I can make a direct comparison to flat nose trailers, as I have (and still do) tow a friends 27 footer. I tow with a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, diesel, 4x4, longbed, extended cab, automatic, with 4.10 gears. I just finished a 9,000 trip out west. I got 12.5 MPG avg. that in the mountains, flatlands, headwinds etc. When towing the flat nose in similar conditions I get 10.5-11.0 ..I HAVE NOT HAD A single problem with the FOREST RIVER trailer. One reason we choose the V - Cross, the v- nose adds about 75 Square foot of space which is nice. Checkout my tread, 9,000 mile trip.....Good Luck
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the comparison, longarrow. Good to have real data once in awhile!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

Thank you for your information longarrow. It is very helpful.
Would you tell what kind of a hitch you use to pull this unit?
lwbones
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

lwbones, I have a class V mount and the hitch is a E-Z rated 10,000 lbs. The sway bars really made different in cross winds.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #9

longarrow: 1st of all thank you for your service! Thank you for the information concering your hitch. Wish you the very best. lwbones