Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

2014 Bayhill braking system?

Not sure where to post this so here goes.
Can anyone with an Evergreen fiver tell me what kind of braking system is used on these units? Are they disc brakes or electric?
Have been told disc are much better stopping a bigger fiver, ours weighs in around 15,500lbs and want to make sure we have stopping ability if in emergency situation.
We are picking our new Bayhill 340RK fiver up next Thursday and just wondering if anyone would know what they use so we know what to check for when we do our pdi.

Thanks
Dawn (Tundras wife)
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
paz

I don't have any specific info on the Bayhill, but from our recent experience in shopping for a new 5th wheel, most come standard with electric drum brakes. Some offer electric/hydraulic discs as an option. Our Tradition has a GVWR of 17k, and the discs (along with 8k axles) were an option. We opted for the disc brakes.

You also need to be aware that not all trucks that have built-in trailer brake controls are compatible with the disc brake actuators.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

Most of the time, disc brakes are an option along with bigger axles and 17.5 inch tires. Your dealer should know what is on your RV. Our 5th wheel is equivalent in weight to yours and we would not be without these items. We also have Moryde IS 8k suspension in place of axles. I think Chevys need some sort of in line magnets for the hydraulic brakes to work unless it is a 2016. Ram and Ford, at least the newer ones do not need magnets.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Evergreen is out of business. What does that mean for your purchase.?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #5

Electric drum brakes are standard. Disk brakes are hydraulic and require a hydraulic system on the trailer to work with an electric controller. That is called electric over hydraulic. Very good system but very expensive to retrofit.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Most of the time, disc brakes are an option along with bigger axles and 17.5 inch tires. Your dealer should know what is on your RV. Our 5th wheel is equivalent in weight to yours and we would not be without these items. We also have Moryde IS 8k suspension in place of axles. I think Chevys need some sort of in line magnets for the hydraulic brakes to work unless it is a 2016. Ram and Ford, at least the newer ones do not need magnets.

Don't make sense to me please explain.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

We had a 2014 Bayhill but a different floor plan. Ours had electric brakes.
CherGib70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Which part did not make sense? If it is the magnets for the hydraulic brakes, I think the Chevy was the last to correct this issue this year. The hydraulic trailer brakes connected to Chevy trucks would not work without some sort of inline magnet.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Electric drum brakes come standard on the 2014 Bayhill 340RK. They will need to be periodically adjusted as the shoes wear. Disc brakes are self adjusting and provide better braking, that's why most modern vehicles have gone to disc brakes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Which part did not make sense? If it is the magnets for the hydraulic brakes, I think the Chevy was the last to correct this issue this year. The hydraulic trailer brakes connected to Chevy trucks would not work without some sort of inline magnet.
What is some sort of inline magnet? The only thing I have seen, mostly from the boat trailer side of things, is a module on the trailer that receives the electric signal from the vehicle brake controller and translates that into a hydraulic pressure at the disc brake. The only "magnets" in any of the system are right in the drum brake on the trailer.

Are these new vehicles equipped with some sort of magic device that somehow communicates with the hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer without a hydraulic connection? I don't know how that can happen without a electric over hydraulic module on the trailer, and there are no magnets in that scenario, it all happens on the trailer using the normal electric signal at the vehicle.

Help.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

Maybe this is what you are talking about?

New truck no trailer brakes

Which indicates that for the trailer disc brakes to work, there need to be a brake controller signal from the integrated controller AND a constant 12 source from the truck which has wiring already installed but not connected or fused. If so that is a wiring or fuse we are talking about not an "inline magnet".

I understand that, if that is what you are attempting to say?

The trailer still will have the electric over hydraulic module installed such as mentioned in the link. They are very expensive, but worth it on heavier rigs for sure.

The current electric drum brakes on trailers is 1950's technology and unreliable, maintenance prone and unsafe; but cheap, of course.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
This puzzled me, also. It sounded like the 'magnets on the fuel line to improve mileage by aligning the molecules' type thing.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Save.../dp/B008ELVC2M (cost, $20, or over 6 gallons of gas at present prices, far more gas than magnets would ever save in MPG.)

If you had a trailer with hydraulic disk (or drum) brakes and didn't have a surge brake mechanism to apply them, An electric brake controller sends the braking signal to electric magnets, the same type that apply electric brakes, to an 'electric over hydraulic' system mounted on the trailer. This magnet force caused the hydraulic piston to apply pressure for braking action. The system costs $500-$900 for the 'Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator.'

So, if your new trailer is equipped with electric drum brakes, you'd have to have the drums converted to disc brakes with hydraulic calipers, hydraulic lines, the 'Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator,' an electric brake controller for the tow vehicle, and the needed wiring for the mod. Installed yourself, the conversion would cost about $2000, installed by a shop probably another $1000 on top of the parts.

Hope this helps clarify what "some sort of in line magnets for the hydraulic brakes to work unless it is a 2016."[/B]

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

The need for a magnet is documented on the Duramax forum. I just did a Google search and there is lots of info on the need for a magnet and I believe the issue has been corrected with the 2016 Chevys. We have a Dodge and have not had this issue but is a known problem with Chevys.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
The need for a magnet is documented on the Duramax forum. I just did a Google search and there is lots of info on the need for a magnet and I believe the issue has been corrected with the 2016 Chevys. We have a Dodge and have not had this issue but is a known problem with Chevys.
Link Please.