Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Of the three, I'd probably go with the Mountain Aire. That was my choice if I didn't go with what I did. American Eagle is also nice, but you're going to pay significantly more for that coach. Last I looked it was vcnty of 600k MSRP, somewhat higher than MA.
DSL417, the new 2015 MA has a msrp of 563K. This is why I was kinda putting the Eagle against it. The big drop is the Ellipse.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
I don't like to get into an us versus theirs, but you might look at the Entegra Cornerstone/Anthem if you're comfortable in the 450-625k price point. A lot of coach for the money and a 2 year warrantee. Also, Newmar has a new London Aire coming out to compete at the Eagle/Cornerstone price point that looks very appealing. Small step up from the MA. For us, we really like the Spartan chassis.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #17

I may a little biased being a Newmar owner. However, If you've driven a Newmar with Comfort Drive it will help you make up your mind. Good luck with your choice. Keep us posted.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:34 AM   #18

DSL417 - What do you like on the Spartan vs. Freightliner? I will also look at Cornerstone/Anthem as well just to make things even more confusing.

TonyDi - I have driven an Ellipse so far and it was a great riding coach. I obviously have read and heard about Newmar's Comfort Drive but have not driven one...yet.

Thank you again for your responses. So far is has been interesting that it has been the next level coaches are being represented the most so far. I may drop the Ellipse from the consideration list....and add Cornerstone.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
From price point perspective:
American Eagle - 600K+
Mountain Aire - $550K+
Ellipse - $370+

The Mountain Aire and American Eagle are similar classes although the Eagle is more expensive. These are both in a considerably higher class than the Ellipse. Fit and finish will be much higher.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
From price point perspective:
American Eagle - 600K+
Mountain Aire - $550K+
Ellipse - $370+

The Mountain Aire and American Eagle are similar classes although the Eagle is more expensive. These are both in a considerably higher class than the Ellipse. Fit and finish will be much higher.

Medico - Agreed, the Ellipse is in a different class. So now the 3 considerations are:

American Eagle - 600K+
Mountain Aire - $550K+
Cornerstone - $599+

These are a bit higher than where I wanted to be but....if I can get everything that I want then so be it.

Any suggestions for a Cold Winter Coach? One that can handle being in the North during the winter without freezing up. Has anyone had any experience with these 3 in below freezing temps?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One of these things is not like the others.

I'm assuming one of the attractions of the Ellipse, a nice coach, is it's low price, in comparison to the others.

Any one of the three will be a step (or two) up from the Red, but I think you're trying to compare "apple, apple, apricot".
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Also, I would consider the MA closer to the AC Tradition and the Entegra Anthem in everything but price, not withstanding the Comfort Drive which none of the other brands have. Can't speak to AC coaches, but Anthem and Cornerstone chassis have IFS (with Cornerstone having air ride) and drive very well. I have no comparison with Newmar as I haven't driven comfort drive and as seen earlier, Newmar folks are rabid in their support of Comfort drive. Others not so much, but that may be an us versus them thing, so you have to try it to see for yourself.

As to Spartan chassis, they cost more, are built very well, and from supposedly independent reviewers are a better chassis than Freightliner. Those Newmar folks that had older Spartan chassis coaches and traded up or newer that I have talked to, wished they had their Spartan chassis back. I don't think this is a "you like chocolate, I like vanilla" argument. Freightliner folks say that you can find that chassis service throughout the country (not so with Spartan), but I find that argument a little short as I have never been want for a Spartan trained tech at Cummins and other truck service locations nationwide. Spartan CS is absolutely outstanding. If you go Cornerstone (or Newmar King Aire which may be out of your price point) the Spartan K3 with the Cummins ISX engine (600HP) is about the best in the 450-900k price point (of course, the proprietary chassis builders are harder to know in this area, for me, because I simply don't know their chassis that well). All this, JMHO. All are fine coaches and the trades you are willing to make define the choice you go with. For example, Cornerstone with K3/ISX 600 HP and nice but with less floor plan options versus Eagle with proprietary chassis and 500HP (last I looked) but lots of floor plan choices versus Mountain Aire with Freightliner chassis (450 HP) and comfort drive w/ lots of floor plans and options. For my money, the Anthem was the most coach for the best price, but again, fewer floor plan choices.

Sorry, not my intent to confuse issue...note that of your original (before I get flamed for offering Entegra and accused of us versus them), I offered I'd choose MA...but if you like Newmar best, and they certainly make a great coach, at the price point, I wanted you to be aware of the coming 2015 London Aire which MSRP's bare around 567k, but dresses out around 615k with how you'd likely want it.

This 450-600k price point area is getting very competitive and you really need to do a lot of study to ID the trades that work best for you, IMHO.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #23

DSL417 - Thank you for all the great information. I spoke to a Entegra Rep this morning and started to so some research. I have to admit, it is getting more confusing. I think I will need to get to a RV Show where hopefully, they are all in attendance so I can walk, touch, climb, and eventually drive them all.

Again, thank you very much for the information.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree that you should consider the Entegra if you want to stay with equals to the Mountain Aire and AC Eagle. Yes there are trade offs, but I don't believe the Ellipse is an equal comparison.

I have owned 2 Eagles, both used within 2 yrs of new when I purchased, and the Customer Service has been beyond anything I have ever experienced from any mfg that I have done business with. I have not owned Newmar or Entegra, so take it for what it is worth.

Does Entegra discount about the same from MSRP as Newmar and American?

I would definitely want to drive all 3 before making a decision.

I also agree with DSL417 on the Spartan, I have owned 2 of their chassis over the past 13 years, never once had an issue finding a certified tech.

Good luck on your search.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarriere View Post
Medico - Agreed, the Ellipse is in a different class. So now the 3 considerations are:

American Eagle - 600K+
Mountain Aire - $550K+
Cornerstone - $599+

These are a bit higher than where I wanted to be but....if I can get everything that I want then so be it.

Any suggestions for a Cold Winter Coach? One that can handle being in the North during the winter without freezing up. Has anyone had any experience with these 3 in below freezing temps?
I haven't had any experience with the 2015 models...but I had 2 Newmar DPs' and now have a 2012 Tradition.....I've found the Newmars to be better insulated against the cold.....driving this American in 20* weather is to me like driving a motorcycle...never felt that way in the other 2......am now comparing the MADP and the new London Aire...the only thing is these two model DO NOT have air leveling but for 3K...HWH will install
Newmar I'm coming back...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarriere View Post
DSL417 - Thank you for all the great information. I spoke to a Entegra Rep this morning and started to so some research. I have to admit, it is getting more confusing. I think I will need to get to a RV Show where hopefully, they are all in attendance so I can walk, touch, climb, and eventually drive them all.

Again, thank you very much for the information.
We decided we were going to buy a new coach this year, so we flew to Tampa for the Super Show last January. We figured it was the best way for us to see all the coaches in one spot. We were glad we did. Looking at floor plans and colors on the internet just doesn't compare to seeing them in person, and the show had all makes and models in several different floor plans.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
The two big shows in the east are Hershey in Sept and Tampa in Jan. It seems that it might be a little easier to get a drive in the models you're interested in Hershey and it comes sooner. Going up from the Allegra to one of these upper-middle tier coaches is a big step with a lot of different ways to look at the trades. A show is a great place when you study up so you're investigating and not overly influenced by the salesmen. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #28

I think that there is a show in Jacksonville in Oct (can't find it now) but I do not know how big or who will be there. I am unable to attend any shows until November and then I am on the road in either my current RV or hopefully the new RV all of December and early January going from FL to CA and back.

I do appreciate all the responses and advice....very nice of you all!!!

Tags
newmar