Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
2015 Class C Motorcoach

We were thinking about buying a Class C. But there are so many to choose from, which one is the best made, which one is built by a company that will stand behind its product. When we go camping we don't want to have to worry about breaking down. I saw a you tube video and the people said stay away from a Dutchman. We live in Hamptons roads area of Virginia. Where is the best RV sales dealership to buy a motor coach and get a sale man who will be truthful with you about the different motor coach homes. Local people have told us to stay away from just about every dealership around our area. So, we don't know what to look for and where to shop. Help us new campers, we need advice.

tac16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a Winnebago 2015 Minnie Winnie 22R Class C in February and we took it on its "shakedown cruise" to Las Vegas in April. Not a single problem cropped up. We are headed to Yellowstone in 3 weeks.

It is the right size for myself and my daughter and/or girlfriend and I don't have to contend with slideout issues because there are none and it fits in my parking spot at my apartment with room enough for my car.

I love it and it is very well built!

2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
You didn't mention your price point. Starting from value and moving up my choices would be:

Forest River Forester or Lexington depending on whether you want the bed over the cab or not. I own a 3011 DSF and can tell you all about their factory service out of Elkhart Indiana

Forester Motorhomes by Forest River RV

Winnebago Aspect:

Aspect Overview | Winnebago RVs

and the Mack Daddy, Born Free:

Born Free RV

HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I've been looking pretty closely at the Ghost by Nexus. It looks like it is well built and has a nice layout and the company will customize anything you want.

Nexus RV Manufacturer Phantom, Ghost Super C Motorhome
Rob & Rosanne
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 36DS
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
Unless you have deep pockets or don't know any better, don't get stuck on brand when looking. We've been in numerous brands and they all seem to be built very similar. Of course, the more you pay the nicer the upgrades. Just remember the more you pay, that it will cost you more to fix sometimes. My inlaws have had several Class A's that they paid over $400k for each. Just because they paid a high price for a very well made unit (Monaco), they will be the first one to tell you that they also come with a high repair bill. And just because they are "quality" products, doesn't mean that something might not need to be fixed every now and then.

Every manufacturer will have units in different price points. Some apear to be finished a little better or with nicer products. But again, that doesn't make the lesser cost unit made any worse necessarily.

My advice is to look at different things when deciding on an RV. This goes for any type: Class A, Class B, Class C, Fifth Wheel, Toy Hauler, Travel Trailer, or Pop Up.
  • Decide what your budget is. And to remember that if you decide that "X" amount is your top dollar you can spend, doesn't mean you have to spend "X" amount. Look at how often you will realistically use it. Is it worth spending big bucks on something that looses value so quickly?
  • Decide how you will use your RV. Resorts with FHU? State parks or National Parks without hookups? While you may want the ability to do both, you need to look at which you will end up doing the most. Huge waste tanks don't mean much if you spend most of your time at resorts with FHU. But if you do most of your camping off the grid or in places without hookups, it will definitely make a difference. Not all Class C's have the same size tanks. I've seen some 22' and 23' Class C's with bigger waste tanks than our 31'. Our 31' TT had tanks about double the size of the Class C. Another thing to think about where you are going to camp is the length. Much easier to park a smaller 23' Class C than our 31' Class C in state parks and national parks. Most national parks campsites are small. They were built a long time ago when RV's were smaller. While with a large RV you may be able to find places where you will fit, you have to remember that you aren't the only one. Others will be looking for those sites as well.
  • How much space do you need? Most of us go into it thinking that we need a lot of space. And then find out that a good bit of space is wasted. Just like the TT we had. We bought a 31' TT with a bunkhouse. We had one child, but we knew she would bring friends along. In the 3 years we owned it, not one friend came along. Soe w traded in on the 31' Class C. She now has a bed over the cab that she doesn't sleep in. She prefers the sofa. We have actually been contimplating going to a much smaller Class C. For one, we don't need a lot of space. We are only in the RV when traveling, sleeping/night time, eating, bathing/bathroom or inclimate weather. Do we need a sofa? Not really. We can watch TV from the dinette. We have a tv in the bedroom also, so plenty of room there. We also have a TV outside where I prefer to watch it. Do we need an 8-10' kitchen counter? Not really, we only use the counter a few times a day and can use the dinette table as well. The one thing we don't like about the smaller units it that the back bedrooms often only have a curtain (if that) for privacy.
  • The last thing to remember is that even if you follow my advice up above, you will end up changing what your wants and needs are. You will decide that you will do camping one way more than another. You will figure out that you might not be able to go camping as much as you thought. Or that you might have a year where commitments and work schedules get in the way and you find yourself campign for only a few times that year.
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
wbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Having picked apart many manufacturers (literally, I went in and asked the dealer if I could crawl around and take things apart to see how things are made) I found that Winnebago used larger brackets and more of them. Thor is a big fan of the brad nailer and small screws with single screw corner brackets, Forrest River is in between the two, and Born Frees are build like tanks. The three I listed above all reallign their rigs after construction and include some sort of load leveling assistance. Thor does not. Hence the reason for the recommendations. None of these companies build in appliance protection and all of them use very similar appliances so you won't see much difference there. Winnebago has the waste tank storage size, sensor accuracy and dependability down pat while the other two use stock tanks and floats so you need to keep them clean or risk a stick later in life. Thor does not include a spare, the other three do. So yes there are differences and it really depends on what you're looking for. We owned a 23 ft Thor for a few years and started small using the same logic as the previous poster but ended up upgrading because I couldn't find a shop that could get the rig aligned, the build quality wasn't there for the rig to last 10+ years with kids and the dogs took up most of the limited floor space. It would have been fine for once a month use without dogs and if the kids were easier on things but that just wasn't the case.

You might want to consider renting different RVs for a year to see what size and type suits you. While it costs more on a per trip basis it is a whole lot cheaper then buying a rig and then figuring out that it's too small, big or there is something missing that you can't live without.

Cruise America is a big renter and they typically use 23 foot and 28 foot rigs without slides.

Class C Motor Homes, RV Rentals and Sales - Cruise America

Some dealers rent RVs but many stick with the smaller 21 and 23 foot rigs and very few rent out As.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Nexus makes a high quality Class C at an affordable price. We've had ours a year now with no issues at all. We have a Phantom 28P.

2005 Foretravel U270, Cummins 400HP ISL
2013 Nexus Phantom 28P. (Sold)
2013 Polaris RZR 900XP LE, Orange Madness
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote

class c