Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #29

I have a Yamaha 2000 and love the thing. I bought it for use with my little travel trailer and for around the house. Great little genny, can even run the ac in my trailer. But I wouldn't carry it if I had a built in generator like I do in my fifth wheel.

Your money is better spent getting an inverter and 2 extra batteries. You could run lights and an LCD tv for days in peace and quiet. If tailgating, you can still run a drop cord off your inverter to power outside lights, radio, tv, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
This .pdf from Cummins shows the fuel usage for the QD series. A 7.5 uses 0.21 gal/hr at no load, 0.56 gal/hr at half load and 0.96 at full load.

Fuel savings along are not going to make it a good investment. However for those that already have a Honda or have a gas/propane on board unit the numbers change and they're much louder than the QD series making a quiet generator running 25' away a pretty attractive option.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Neither the Honda nor the Yamaha is all that quiet when the load is heavy, nor is the fuel consumption low under load, so there is no "free lunch" for either fuel used or noise. The ability to locate a portable further away from the coach or patio is a different story, however. But if you have an onboard inverter and adequate battery bank, that also changes the picture. My 2500 watt inverter can do power most anything I want, but I could use some additional batteries (I now have 420 AH total) for extended use and a small portable generator doesn't take up any more room than two more batteries, nor does it weigh any more than one additional battery (about 68 lbs).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
This .pdf from Cummins shows the fuel usage for the QD series. A 7.5 uses 0.21 gal/hr at no load, 0.56 gal/hr at half load and 0.96 at full load.
That's very interesting. The engine in my 7.0KW gen is a little Kubota. From the data from both companies, the Kubota seems to be about 30& more efficient than the Onan 7.5.

PowerTech 0.64 full load, 0.32 half load, 0.16 1/4 load. No data on no load. Of course the difference in capacities must be taken into account.

Since I had never known of PowerTech when I got this MH, I called them to discuss this gen set. They said it was the best one they had ever made. There seems to be some merit to their statement.
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Onan also uses Kubota engines. (for their diesel applications)

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #34

I have confidence in the data from each company. It seems that the little 10hp Kubato is something special. The PowerTech CD-7 at 7kw has been replaced with the CD-8 at 8kw. because Kubato completely replaced their 10hp engine with a 13hp engine.

In any event, 7-8kw diesel generators burn very little fuel. And they benefit from being used.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #35

I have 2 Honda EU200i - one standard, and one the companion. I will occasionally take just one for topping off the batteries/TV/lights, or both if I want an efficient 30 amp circuit for air conditioning/latte machine. I also use them in parallel when we have a power outage at home which happens every winter. I originally bought them for a small Shave Ice business so I could set up in two different locations. So for me the utility, quiet operation, and fuel efficiency has been well worth the cost.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

On the Onan 7.5 and 8 KW models, the Kubota diesel engine drives a DC generator that in turn powers a pair of inverters that each produce 120v power (one inverter for each hot "leg" of the output). An inverter typically has about a 10% power loss in converting DC to AC. That may explain the difference in fuel consumption vs the Powertech generators.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The advantage the Onan QD has, is that with a small or no load it can and does lower the rpm of the engine. This will decrease the actual amount of fuel used compared to a constant RPM type generator when the exact same scenario is applied to both.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #38

While it would seen that fuel effeciency would increase with lower RPM, the data from the two companies shows that the PowerTech uses less fuel than the Onan at any load. One of the great advantages of a diesel engine over a spark ignition (gas) engine is that the diesel engine fuel consumption is almost directly proportional to the load -- not RPM.

The inverter load in the Onan is always added to the connected load and is even there at no load conditions.

One great advantage of the inverter concept is at less than full load, the lower RPM will produce less noise. There may be other advantages, but from the data, fuel efficiency is not one of them. The PowerTech noise level is almost constant at any load.

Tags
generator