Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

3/4 or 1 Ton

Hello everyone, brand new to the forum, and I'm glad I decided to join, some of these Threads are awesome.

So I have a very general question that I am actually starting to stress out about because I feel the salesmen I am talking to don't have a clue what they are talking about.

So I feel I know a lot about trucks. Well I thought I did anyway. But I will be ordering a new truck come February and I will be getting a 5er in the next year or so as well. I don't plan on getting anything over 12k pounds so I am thinking a SRW truck will be fine.

But to get to my question, besides the payload capacity (pin weight) in the bed of a truck, what is the real difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton truck? For example a RAM 2500 tradesman crew cab long box and a RAM 3500 tradesman crew cab long box with a 6.4 hemi and 4.10 gears are rated at a 15,450 max towing capacity. Same with identically equipped F250 and 350, 15,500 max towing capacity. Is there something I am missing is there one I'm going to get more bang for my buck for?

We had a camper prior to my second kid it was an RK model so not well set up for a growing family, and we averaged maybe 2 camping trips a month. This truck will also be my daily driver, so I don't think the need for a diesel is there.

I am looking for a second point of view, or 12, because I think the more research I do the more I confuse myself.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

I would go for a 1ton bigger is better. Diesel also is better. Where do you live, mountains. Or hills to climb?

Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

MN, Duluth has been our most mountainous so far. We try to keep our travel times short with a 2 year old and 3 month old
Old 09-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was in that same position years back and opted for the 1 ton. I also went diesel but the gas engines and transmissions back in 2004 were not as advanced as they are now. Some of the newer gas engines produce more HP but mainly more torque, and that is what makes the difference in trailer towing.
After buying A DP I still use my 1 ton diesel for a driver. If I were to do it again I would buy another Diesel 1 ton. That is just me.
There are not many differences between a 1 ton and 3/4 but there are a few that I just cannot recall.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNPapabear View Post
Hello everyone, brand new to the forum, and I'm glad I decided to join, some of these Threads are awesome.

So I have a very general question that I am actually starting to stress out about because I feel the salesmen I am talking to don't have a clue what they are talking about.

So I feel I know a lot about trucks. Well I thought I did anyway. But I will be ordering a new truck come February and I will be getting a 5er in the next year or so as well. I don't plan on getting anything over 12k pounds so I am thinking a SRW truck will be fine.

But to get to my question, besides the payload capacity (pin weight) in the bed of a truck, what is the real difference between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton truck? For example a RAM 2500 tradesman crew cab long box and a RAM 3500 tradesman crew cab long box with a 6.4 hemi and 4.10 gears are rated at a 15,450 max towing capacity. Same with identically equipped F250 and 350, 15,500 max towing capacity. Is there something I am missing is there one I'm going to get more bang for my buck for?

We had a camper prior to my second kid it was an RK model so not well set up for a growing family, and we averaged maybe 2 camping trips a month. This truck will also be my daily driver, so I don't think the need for a diesel is there.

I am looking for a second point of view, or 12, because I think the more research I do the more I confuse myself.
Its something that has been talked about a lot on here. The biggest thing you have to answer is the 5er you get going to be the last one you get? If there is a chance you are going to go bigger are you going to have enough truck. I started with the F-250 and made the same mistake a lot of others have done and it cost me a lot of money. I went with the 350 DW and now don't have any worries. My biggest thing was traveling out west where they have mountains and strong winds. Personally I wouldn't even consider the 250 as for about about $800 you can get the 350 and the pin that you will need. I am not an expert by any means like some on here but have made a mistake that cost me money and that is worth saying. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Look at towing capacity in the same light as MSRP. In a perfect world!

Towing capacity is the truck with only towing options and a jockey for a driver. Find out the GCVW between the trucks.

More truck within reason is better as it gives better handling in adverse conditions. Larger truck makes towing a whole lot more pleasurable. You will get many who counsel they tow just fine with a lighter/smaller truck. I wonder if they have any experience towing at the max as compared with having some extra capacity.

just enough = $$
more than enough = $$$
peace of mind = priceless
Old 09-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a fiver you also need to take payload into consideration. take 20% pin weight of your 5th wheels GVW and subtract that from the yellow sticker on the door pillar. what is left is your capacity for fuel, passengers and cargo, you will be surprised how fast it adds up.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #8

As was previously mentioned, is this going to be your last coach?
For us a 3/4 ton was enough because our coach size was limited by the length of our shop.
Our pin weight is 15% of the coach GVWR, not 20% as has been mentioned elsewhere.
The coach actually weighs in at 1000 lbs. under the GVWR, fully loaded, ready to go.
Good luck with your choice!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:37 AM   #9

The main difference between 3/4 & 1 ton SRW trucks, in most cases, is the rear springs - usually one extra leaf on the 1 ton. Can you tow an 12K lb 5'er with a 3/4 ton? Sure. Is it your best option? Probably not.

I towed a 15K lb 5'er for 3 1/2 years with an F250. Would I do it again? NO! A little over a year ago that truck was getting tired and I decided that a 1 ton dually was the proper tool for the job I was asking my truck to perform.

I was concerned about having a dually as a daily driver. That has turned out to be a non-issue. The difference between towing with a SRW truck and a dually is like night and day. With the F250 it was like riding a bucking bronco all day - especially if when wind or mountains were involved. Now, towing our new larger, heavier rig is a pleasure.

The other item that often seems to be left out of these discussions is axle ratio. The big three do not produce SRW trucks with what I consider adequately low axle (rear end) ratios for 5th wheel towing in their diesel trucks, with the possible exception of GM which I think still offers a 3.73 :1. Ram's lowest is a 3.42 and Ford's a 3.55. Additionally, Ram at least offers the highest output version (they have 3) of their Cummins 6.7L Diesel only in DRW trucks.

Do your research and pick the best truck for your needs. My recommendation, based on my experience, is a 1 ton dually diesel.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:23 AM   #10

Quote:

So I have a very general question that I am actually starting to stress out about because I feel the salesmen I am talking to don't have a clue what they are talking about...
Gee, say it ain't so. Do you think?

It may be a good idea to research before buying.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 AM   #11

Thank you for the point of views, my whole thought prior to seeing what a 3/4 ton was capable of, was the rigidness of a 1 ton and not wearing out the truck.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Like was mentioned, with a 5er it's not so much how much you can pull, but how much weight can the TV carry. The 20% number for pin weight is more or less an average as pins can run anywhere from 15 to 25%. So without getting a chance to actually weigh a new unit, you use the average of 20% of the gross as a ball park figure.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote