Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

3 cases of wine in/out of Canada?

We're entering Canada at Port Huron and exiting through Niagra falls into New York state. We are fulltime and have around three cases of wine from all over in our "cellar". We are not buying any in Canada. What are the laws concerning transporting alcohol? We're fulltime and enjoy a nice wine occasionally. Please help because we wouldn't want to have our collection confiscated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Know what you paid for it because that is what the tax will be based on. You might get lucky and they will let it go. The only way it would get confiscated that I know of is if you try to slip it past them and get caught.
Ups it to niagra falls?
Good luck
Pointrow

Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your collection will not be confiscated, unless you refuse to pay the entry tax for "excess" alcohol.

Travellers - Alcohol and Tobacco Limits
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

The chances they are going to search your rv is about the same as getting searched at the California/Oregon border for fruit, 0.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The last time I entered Canada the duty on wine was 100% and 300% on Spirts.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

Call the border and ask. To my knowledge is you are transporting alcohol for your own consumption in and out of Canada there is no tax. The tax is when you buy it there and want to bring it back. But call to be sure. If you lie to them they can take your entire rig not for the alcohol but for the lie. Do you have your receipts when you purchased it? Like anything it is about documentation.
Nasdaqsam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Went to PEI in 2016. Entered via New Brunswick, route 95 near Houlton, ME. Declared we had wine and distilled spirits aboard, unknown quantities. "Please pull over there, sir, and either bring your items to the building for an inventory or provide one to the agent." Chose to grab the box and carry it in. No receipts in-hand for what I paid for the 'items.' The agent assigned a value, we paid the calculated fee. Carried box back to coach. Went on our way.

If memory serves, the delay was about 30 minutes, and the fee about 50 dollars. Cheap wine not so cheap any more.

Had paperwork ready for the cat, though.

Each of us has lied, lies, and will lie. I have tried to lie less as I age. Lying to a border or customs agent can cause major problems... and for what, to save a few bucks and a little time?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There are limits going both ways--I'd leave it home and buy a supply in Canada. I think you get two bottles free coming back to the US. I remember having to pour our a couple liquor bottles coming back from Mexico once.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
IC2

A bottle or two, or say, a six pack or two of beer, no problem I have found going into New Brunswick. More then that - be prepared to lie or pay. I don't lie to the border agents. And that replacement Canadian spirits - that too is expensive as even inexpensive beer I've found was about $25/12 pack hen you can find a package store.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #10

If you purchased the wine in the US, and have receipts showing the purchase and taxes, , and are coming back into the US no problem. But taking that much into Canada could be a problem. When we crossed into Canada the border crossing guard asked me how much and what kinds of alcohol we had onboard. I responded honestly we had two bottles of wine. He responded back saying "Sir, that is not nearly enough wine for your 3 week stay in our beautiful country. Please feel free to purchase as much Canadian wine as you like while you are here"!

Also, slightly off topic, we were asked to produce driver's license and registration and insurance paperwork for the coach and tow car. I told him the toad registration papers were in the toad and I would have to exit the coach to get them, he said "hold on a moment while I check the motorhome paperwork out." He looked in a big three ring binder, checked our registration paper work against a copy found in the book and then handed the papers back to us and said "your fine, have a great trip".

I need to stress, the Canadian border guards were all very professional and courteous and always with a smile. The US not as much. Both US crossings required a inspection of the refrigerator and several random drawers while we had to stand outside the coach holding the puppy.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
3 cases of wine in/out of Canada?

That three cases will cost a bunch your only allowed a couple bottles and the tax is outrageous on alcohol in Canada its very expensive because of the very high tax rate on it if you have it you will be taxed on the excess even if your intention is to not consume it there so just " transporting it in and back out " claim doesn't work
I'd find a friend to keep it. Mailing alcohol can be problematic as in not legal with many carriers ,without documentation and "of age" signatures.
Of course there's always the " I forgot " about that case in the back of my storage bay method. Most times mom and dad with a couple bottles of wine in the pantry and passports in hand will be waived through. Do you look guilty when you lie?
If they decide to look they will find it .. that secret spot is not so secret .. they've seen it before.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We had couple of cases...was told $$$$ tax or "donate to the crown". Turned around shipped full case UPS to US destination, donated rest to Catholic church. Happy priest and us too.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
have a wine feast on us side all rv2 members invited
Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

Ok now I understand how NAFTA works' corporate trucks can go back and forth all day. But the little guy has to pay a cut to pay for staff. So that's how trade deals are cut at the G-20.

Tags
ada, canada