Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
3 Month Trip

Hi all I'm thinking of leaving cold upstate NY in December. and coming back in April relatives live i n Florida and s Carolina.Can anyone tell me what a trip like that would be like what to take. where to stay.

ebrownell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you've got the right idea! The tendency is always to take too much. My wife has always been bad about that, but she's finally learning! Her problem is trying to take too much food. I don't think she knows there are grocery stores in other parts of the country!

Hope your trip goes well! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
It's hard to predict what your trip would be like and difficult to suggest what to take.

I will offer a couple of thoughts. South Carolina may not be far enough south to avoid ALL of the cold weather. Many places in Florida fill up early in their peak season. February can be challenging to find a place without reservations.

Oh, one thing to take for sure...lots of money.

Take care,
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
777 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
And Credit Cards, take lots of CC's

My wife has a tendency to over pack, taking everything twice. She carries probably 12 different pairs of shoes, and similar volumes of cloths etc.

I would decide where you will ultimately try to stay and look at the temperature profiles for the area. As suggested, South Carolina may not be far enough south to escape the cold. Even in north Florida they can get frosts. We were in Orlando last December and there was a couple heavy frosts.

Once you decide your destination you can pack cloths accordingly, plan on dressing in layers. Pack for rain and sun shine as you'll see both.

We usually stock the RV with the same variety of food we have in the house. We rotate the stock out for trips to make sure it gets used. We keep all the cooking pots & pans and dishes and utensils in the RV. If we need something we buy it.

Other things are lawn chairs and a grill if you do that type of thing.

I keep a fairly good assortment of tools and other repair supplies just in case.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget to pack a snow shovel. Whenever you stop for gas, food, etc prop your shovel up on the front of your RV. When someone asks what to hell that thing is, you're far enough south......
fredtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is your RV freeze-proof? Does it have heated water and waste tanks? You won't find many CGs open until you get to the Mid-Atlantic states. You may need to plan on staying at Walmarts or such until then. Do you have enough battery power to make it through the night, while the propane heater is cranking all night? If you stay at South of the Border you can wash all the salt grime off the RV, before you head further south! BTW, Florida is a huge state. It takes 2 1/2 hours to drive from West Palm Beach to Fort Myers and they're straight across from each other. What part of Florida are you planning on staying at? It makes a difference on weather and costs.
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Around perry.
ebrownell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
The hardest part for me was packing the right cloths anyway number of changes for each season. The rest let fall where it may.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote