Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

3 Most Important Things to Know?

Hi there,

My name is Alex and I'm a blogger specializing in small home and apartment living.

I've recently become fascinated with the idea of living in an RV and have been really enjoying researching and learning about the life style.

What I've decided to do to help me learn is to reach out to communities and individuals that clearly know a ton about RV living and ask them a question:

"What are the 3 most important things someone should know before they decide to purchase and/or live in an RV"

These could be warnings, unexpected joys, or just general advice.

Thanks for helping me out and I look forward to some lively discussion!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

It's addictive and all-consuming. You may give up everything and become a nomad.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Although we are not full timers, we do take month long trips in our MH. They are not cheap to buy, but you get what you pay for so pick the right size and floorplan for how you intend to use it the bulk of the time.

They are addicting, the more you use them, the more you want to, the trips are fun, you meet great people and you can change your location any time you want. It will cost you about .50 cents per mile to drive(give or take depending on your mpg and the price of gas).

You have to be constantly on the maintenace of your MH, things will break and if you don't take care of them they will only get worse. That becomes somewhat of a hobby working on them as well as making improvements.

More than three, but each section is related.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is no single RV lifestyle. There are many different ways to enjoy RV'ing. Some full time people spend their time traveling from place to place, changing campsites frequently. Other full timers live more of a dual residence lifestyle, living in the north in the summer, the south in the winter.

Part timers are even more varied, young families taking their motor toys out for the weekend, middle age couples vacationing for a few weeks, and everything in between. The wide variety of RV choices only hints at the wide variety of the type of people and purposes those vehicles serve.

Right now my wife and I travel during school holidays and summers. She's partly retired and I work for the school district. When I retire we plan on a couple of year long trips from Arizona to Alaska, then Arizona to Maine, followed after by more of a 'dual residency' lifestyle.

We've personally found that owning a Class A meets our needs for our 'frequent change of location' lifestyle. We're considering that a fifth wheel might better serve when we switch to the dual residency lifestyle. That discussion is still a few years down the road.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarson566 View Post
"What are the 3 most important things someone should know before they decide to purchase and/or live in an RV"

1.) know thyself. Are you the type of person that can live in 200 sqft ? You will be happiest if you are the sort of person that enjoys nature, is not easily bored, sees obstacles as challenges to overcome, enjoys peaceful surroundings, likes change.

2.) know thy partner. Hopefully your partner also is compatible with the ideas expressed in #1

3.) know how to be self reliant. Self reliant people take every problem and turn it into an adventure. As an example, If the heat doesn't work one night, turn it into a fun "snuggle opportunity" with lots of blankets and hot chocolate, rather than a hardship to be mad about....when the morning comes, you can make fixing the heater that day's adventure!

😃
Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are a true DIYer you can go the route I took:
Build it yourself

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
1.) know thyself. Are you the type of person that can live in 200 sqft ? You will be happiest if you are the sort of person that enjoys nature, is not easily bored, sees obstacles as challenges to overcome, enjoys peaceful surroundings, likes change.

2.) know thy partner. Hopefully your partner also is compatible with the ideas expressed in #1

3.) know how to be self reliant. Self reliant people take every problem and turn it into an adventure. As an example, If the heat doesn't work one night, turn it into a fun "snuggle opportunity" with lots of blankets and hot chocolate, rather than a hardship to be mad about....when the morning comes, you can make fixing the heater that day's adventure!

😃
Very profound. Not many can be that way all the time, but it is definitely a nice goal.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #8

!. Don't chew your fingernails after dumping the black water tank.

2. Be rich

3. See Number 2
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Three things:

1) You really did not need all of the things you have in the S&B

2) Keep the top half of the tank full.

3) The GPS will always get you to the address you put in, sometimes in a very circuitous route
Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #10

1. Its more expensive than you think to go full time.
2. Double your fuel cost in your budget.
3. Fulltiming is not to be rushed. Think a day instead of hours, 2-4 days = 1 week
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Pasdad1 is spot on. I ,for example, enjoy driving more than anything. Next to driving, I love planning. But, when Mrs. says "I want to go home" be prepared. Can't imagine traveling with out my dog!!

Me, Mrs., and Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Rule #1 - "If wife is happy...life is happy!

If you fail at rule number one, there are no more rules.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
1. Determine how much you can spend to buy and maintain the RV, considering fuel, maintenance cost, insurance, tires, etc.

2. If buying used, be sure the seller has complete maintenance records and check for factory recalls and known problems on the model you are considering.

3. Carefully research the 5000 other things not mentioned above!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you haven't owned or used an RV before consider renting one to see if the life style is for you.

If you decide to commit to buying an RV determine which best suits your needs. Travel Trailers, Class B or C, Class A gas or Diesel.

Decide what you can afford and remember, at the end of the day the RV will essentially be worth a fraction of what you paid for it no matter how much you have used it or how well you have maintained it. It is not an investment, it is a choice of life style.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote