Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

3 state traffic jam and a crazy bad storm....

I just did a solo trip from Upstate NY to FL starting Friday August 9th. The trip went like this.

I was prepping to take off early on Aug. 10th but was bored waiting to get going so at 4pm sitting there I deciding to hitch up and take off maybe get a few hours under my belt. The trip started nicely with very lite traffic, around 9pm I had to decide to stop at one of the rest areas on I87 or push it past I287 since there are not a lot of places to stop on I287 and find a spot in Jersey. I decided I had gotten a good start so why not stop, have some dinner, a cocktail and get some sleep. It was a bit hot so I ran the gen to keep the A/C's running. I got a descent nights sleep.

I hit the road around 5am and was really making good time with DC ahead I was hopeful for once I wouldn't get caught in DC traffic. I was running the beltway around DC heading for I95 South. I ran right around DC with no traffic to speak of I had it made it was 8am and I am making time...………………..then it hit. Right at the Virginia line I ran into a traffic jam that lasted until the middle of South Carolina. Stop and go for three straight states. 5mph most of it but once in a while it run up to 40 then right back to stopped. Ugh!!!!

Finally out of that mess I decided I would stop at the Georgia Welcome center and get some sleep and just pull it in Sunday morning. As I approached the northern Welcome center I was feeling pretty good so said why not run it to the one just before entering FL. WOW what a mistake. I no more than passed the rest area when my phone started to beep with a weather alert. I could see the skies building quickly but figured I could make the rest area 35 miles ahead. The storm built quick and hit with a vengeance. I could barely see 15' ahead of me. I tried pulling over but the wind was fierce and felt like it was going to tip me over I found moving slowly on the flank of a Semi the coach felt more stable so I inched along at 5 to 10mph. The winds and rain where intense, I can not even begin to describe the lightning strikes that where going off like fireworks every 5 seconds all around me, some where just feet away. I've been through two hurricanes and many lightening storms but nothing like this one. At this point I was really regretting not stopping at the first rest area but I was committed and really had no where safe to stop. I didn't want to pull off just anywhere with no knowledge of where I was pulling off or anyway to check into it as I was pretty much using all my abilities to drive the rig. I made it to the rest area just as the storm began to subside.

The last of the leg was uneventful but what a day the 10th was.....
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

Sounds like you got a dose of my luck. I've had some terrible luck lately, but things are starting to look up for me. I guess I passed my luck on to you. Sorry.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #3

Shame you did not have a book map with you. Rt 1 runs along side 95. May be traffic lights, but the speed is faster then not moving. Been running South for more years then I can count and have done this! Same with I 70 in Ohio. Rt 40 runs along side. I will take 301/50/301 over I 95 any day of the week. Some traffic and lights at mostly 55 is much better then stop and go and wacky drivers on 95.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
WDW

3 state traffic jam and a crazy bad storm....

We ran into those portable parking lots in the same timeframe in Virginia. There was no reason other than rubberneck driving that I could see other than too much volume and not enough road.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Sounds like you got a dose of my luck. I've had some terrible luck lately, but things are starting to look up for me. I guess I passed my luck on to you. Sorry.
You're welcome but dam......lol
Old 08-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Shame you did not have a book map with you. Rt 1 runs along side 95. May be traffic lights, but the speed is faster then not moving. Been running South for more years then I can count and have done this! Same with I 70 in Ohio. Rt 40 runs along side. I will take 301/50/301 over I 95 any day of the week. Some traffic and lights at mostly 55 is much better then stop and go and wacky drivers on 95.
I thought about getting off several times but who would have thought 3 freaking states? I was sure it would clear up soon...…….lol
Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We ran into those portable parking lots in the same timeframe in Virginia. There was no reason other than rubberneck driving that I could see other than too much volume and not enough road.
Exactly there was no road work r accidents it was just one person hitting the brakes that backed up traffic for miles. Crazy!
Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #8

That's one reason I hate the interstates. Running along and suddenly everything stops. You finally get going and never see anything to cause it. At least state and county roads, its either a traffic light, train or an accident. 95 has gotten worse. The more lanes they add the heavier the traffic.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote