Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
30 Amp Power Plug

Has anybody converted their mouse hole power cord outlet to a plug in Marinco cord plug. It looks like they have a great conversion kit. I hate pulling out that &%# power supply cord. I hate putting it back in even more. I always feel I'm pushing lots of dirt in with it. This Marinco conversion kit looks like a far better system. I am looking for a reliable source to purchase the kit. CW no longer sells them online. It looks like an easy upgrade. I would appreciate your imput. Why don't the manufacturers use this type of plug?

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

I have 50 amp service on my MH and when I put it back in I just take a rag and wipe the cable off. Doesn't cost much of anything.

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Got rid of ours when we traded the 1988 MH off in 1997! Hated that setup the whole nine years too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #4

Here's the simple (and dirt cheap) solution to the dirt on the cord "problem." Buy a bag of those brown Jersey gloves. Less than a $1/pair. Wear them when winding in your power cord (and hoses). As the cord (and hoses) goes in keep a gloved hand wrapped around the cord and magically all the grime just wipes off while you are winding it in! All coiled and clean in one step. Discard or wash when the gloves get really dirty. I have a couple pair in several of my frequently accessed compartments. They are just handy to have around. Even for fueling up.

The Marinco cord cover products looks like a lot of hassle and a solution in search of a problem. With the gloves, there is no problem. BTW - Marinco is available at marine supply shops like West Marine. Order online too.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the conversion to our previous RV, a Trail-lite TT. In our case I made the decision after we were inundated by ants in SC one day.
As I recall the conversion was not difficult. I just cut the cord, leaving about 2' to work with, installed the receptacle over the cut out in the wall. (removing the plastic mouse hole first)
I don't remember if the kit came with a female connector or if I had to buy one. I have a 50' 30A power cord that went to my sailboat so I converted that as well, now I have an extra long cord for those state parks that always seem to have the electric pedestal placed in the worst possible location.
It was well worth doing, I recommend it. Try West Marine or possibly RV Upgrades?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RVupgrades has it, but seems pricier than I remember. Check Amazon?
Detachable Power Conversion Kits, 50 Amp
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The Marinco detachable cord was an option on my Escape - a great idea!
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

I must be slow, but wouldn't one still need to wind the cord and clean it off prior to storing in a compartment?
Just don't see the time savings.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #9

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Has anybody converted their mouse hole power cord outlet to a plug in Marinco cord plug. It looks like they have a great conversion kit. I hate pulling out that &%# power supply cord. I hate putting it back in even more. I always feel I'm pushing lots of dirt in with it. This Marinco conversion kit looks like a far better system. I am looking for a reliable source to purchase the kit. CW no longer sells them online. It looks like an easy upgrade. I would appreciate your imput. Why don't the manufacturers use this type of plug?
That is the FIRST thing I did to our new Starcraft TT. I had to drill new holes to mount it but everything seal up great. The Surveyor we traded had the same type plug from the factory and I loved it. I did try to get the cord back in the mouse hole ONCE but it was almost impossible so I got the kit. I'm an electrician and was impressed with everything this kit has. You probably won't need everything as they include the parts for almost all situations. Very satisfied over all. BTW I ordered from Amazon.com: ParkPower by Marinco 30ARVKIT RV Detachable Power Conversion Kit (30-Amp): Sports & Outdoors
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I must be slow, but wouldn't one still need to wind the cord and clean it off prior to storing in a compartment?
Just don't see the time savings.
+1
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I like the inlet & separate cord because it is one less opening for bugs & rodents to use, it's easier to coil a separate cord, and it doesn't get hung up in the storage area. I'll agree that you may still need to wipe a dirty cord...
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
+1
+2.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Upgrade Completed

Well, I installed the Marinco 30 amp power supply and I am impressed. An easy upgrade and I just feel that there is less chance of bugs and rodents having a way to enter. I just feel that this is a superior way to hook up the power source.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not done a conversion but have done work on my Marinco.. Easy conversion.

However a suggestion.. Marinco connectors are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!

Why not take the existing mouse hole cord and pull it out all the way, Now let it hand down and six inches to a foot above the ground attack with hack saw (DO NOT PLUG IT IN!!!!) Put a standard 30 or 50 amp (Depending on the cord) RV type plug on the part connected to the RV, and the matching outlet end on the part you hacked off.

Do not do like the guy who was previous owner of the TT I last had before I got this class A (He crossed a couple of wires) Follow the color conventions Green to Ground, White to the Neutral and the other wire(s) go to the other Screw(s) (black and red can be swapped, no harm there).

Cord ends are less expensive, and you can also buy much less expensive "Inlet" cords with this hook up (Standard RV extension cord)

Tags
power