Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #15

We run into this at some of the older parks on a regular basis. I am not an Electrician but do have a working knowledge of electricity.

My interpretation of the problem, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the CG has an MCC Building where all the master breakers are located.
Let's say they are using 200A breakers to control a number of 30A sites.
200 \ 30 = 6.6 sites. Now, to save a few bucks, they will put 7, 8 or maybe 9 sites on this 200A breaker instead of 6. (Or 4 sites for 50A Sites)
All is well until the park is full and each site is trying to draw their supposed 30A as advertised. That along with undersized wire (to save another couple bucks) you end up with a severe voltage drop and tripped breakers and Surge Protectors dropping out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

That's pretty much it, Dennis. It's standard wiring design practice to assume that the combined load of all circuits is less than the peak load - 80% load is a typical working figure. Not such a great idea for a popular RV park, though, since every 30A site may be drawing near peak on a busy summer weekend. 50A sites usually have enough power so that nobody runs at peak (2 x 50 = 100A), but 30A sites tend to be in the 25-30A range when an a/c is operating.

I've worked in a number of RV parks and its not unusual in older parks for 5 or more 30A outlets to be wired to a 100 or 150 amp distribution panel. It's fine if a few sites are empty, and even adequate when the a/c's are cycling on and off rather than constant, but on a hot, busy weekend the power either trips the main supply breakers or the voltage takes a nose dive. More often the latter, because the wire size is marginal for the high amps and long distances.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Camped this weekend at a site with alleged 30 amp service. Electric center read out in coach displayed 20 amp. We have a 50 amp rv. We were able to run one ac and watch tv threw post breaker when we also used the microwave. This is the second campground we have seen this. Both were old campgrounds.

Has anyone else seen this?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
There's no way the EMS in your coach can tell if it's on a 20amp vs 30amp circuit. If it's reading 20amp it's because there's a setting that's telling it to assume that any circuit that's not 50amp (ie 240V) is 20amp.

That said, using the microwave at the same time as an AC unit and some electronics (TV, etc) would probably pop a 30amp breaker just as a 20amp.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post

There's no way the EMS in your coach can tell if it's on a 20amp vs 30amp circuit. If it's reading 20amp it's because there's a setting that's telling it to assume that any circuit that's not 50amp (ie 240V) is 20amp.
That's correct.

My Intellitec EMS panel has a push button to select 20 amp versus 30 amp when plugged into less than 30 amp service.

The owner has to select this on their EMS Display panel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!l0E+F6w271IBP2MMRQe5w~~60_12.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	73038  
Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That's correct.

My Intellitec EMS panel has a push button to select 20 amp versus 30 amp when plugged into less than 30 amp service.

The owner has to select this on their EMS Display panel.
Yeah, on ours you can cycle between 30/20/15. I know on later coaches Newmar was convinced to actually put in 50amp as a limit for load shedding. I've never managed to pull more than 50amps on a leg, but I know other KGDB owners who have.

Tags
service