Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #1

30 amp to 50 amp ?

We are looking into moving up from a 30 amp unit to a 50 amp. Our favorite camping spot is a 30 amp. Do we buy some kinda of converter or run less power ? Its a beautiful big waterfront spot and we hate to give that up. But not ever having a larger unit, im sure there are alot of pros. This is just one con, we are trying to find an answer to. Thx for the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go go for the 50. A simple adaptor you can buy at any rv store and a lot of campgrounds will do the trick. Run the hot water heater on gas or just be carefuly when you have it on electric. Put the refer on gas too. You might be able to run the microwave with one air conditioner. Basically, everything you run now will be usable. We had a lake front spot with our 40 footer and managed quite well.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't necessarily have to give it up. Just get an adapter to take your 50 amp plug down to a 30. You might not be able to run 2 A/C units or the microwave at the same time but that is a sacrifice you might want to make to keep the spot.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #4

It's usually hot when we stay there, so we have to try it out. Our adirondack was a lite version, so one a/c and lite insulation. We have never had two a/c's. do you usually run them both when camping? This upgrade we are thinking of has two and is a fairly new model. I think DH is going to freeze me out in this new model ! Lol.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
you will not be able to run both AC units at the same time with a 30 amp service as they both draw 14 or 15 amps under load. but one unit and anything else will work. I have done it a few times with no real big issue, just stay ahead of the heat instead of trying to cool down the unit, keep it cool early with your sun side shades down. nothing to it!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at a 30amp site in a state park a month ago and blew the pedestal circuit breaker literally about every hour trying to run the AC on a 90+ degree day even though the RV automatically only runs one AC unit when not on 50amps. All day and night it was the choice of AC or TV, or microwave, etc. It was pretty miserable. I'd think twice before trying to run a 50amp coach on 30amps if you plan to stay cool on a hot day!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have a 50 amp motorhome but camp in a 30 amp site frequently. I run the front AC unit during the day and switch to the back AC unit at night. This has worked well for me. I am careful how much I run at one time and if there is any question I turn the AC off first. My site right now is in full sun so I keep the tire covers on, front sunshade to cover the windshield (plus wiper blade covers), and the awning out to shade the refrigerator side. I have the front AC on and a vent cover in the bedroom to help keep it cool.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We have 50A service on our 5th wheel. We camp at 30A parks. It's no problem. Just be mindful. You can't run an AC, electric water heater and microwave at the same time. We had to watch the same things when we had a camper with 30A service.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
We stayed at a 30amp site in a state park a month ago and blew the pedestal circuit breaker literally about every hour trying to run the AC on a 90+ degree day even though the RV automatically only runs one AC unit when not on 50amps. All day and night it was the choice of AC or TV, or microwave, etc. It was pretty miserable. I'd think twice before trying to run a 50amp coach on 30amps if you plan to stay cool on a hot day!
I think your problem was with the campground power, you should be able to use most of what you needed without a problem.

We regularly camp at a 30 amp park with a 50 amp coach and run 1 air, reefer on120, waterheater on 120 and use the mw or coffee maker as needed without failer.

Glenn
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Last time out we could only get a 30 amp site. We ran the fridge and water heater on propane. We could run both A/Cs until we were ready to use the coffee maker or microwave. We shut one A/C down when using either of them. Never had a problem.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: My house is 50 amp... Second: I spend half my summer and 2/3 of my winter (usually) on 30 amp sites.

There are five things you should buy, One you should not, and one mod you might consider.. I will list.

Dogbone adapters, 50-30 and 30-15 (or 50-15 but frankly do the 30)
Puck adapter 15-30, a three light outlet tester, and a plug in voltmeter
(Link to follow on ONE of the three I have)

I will link to one such adapter at the end of this post.. Those you should buy.. That means you can plug into most anything but.. be cautious when pluging into a 30 amp outlet at other than a RV park... Will cover an optional device that takes care of that too.

The thing you should not buy.. There are a few devices that come with two plugs and a 50 amp outlet. THEY are great GFCI testers and will (or rather should) not work in a park with GFCI outlets, most modern parks have 20 amp GFCI outlets (Requried in fact) some older parks are grandfathered enough to not have them. But I recommend against buying these cheater boxes that let you plug in twice for your 50 amp cord.. That said there is another way that works.

Optional is a Progressive Industries HW-50C or the plug in version. (PT-50C?)
Progressive Industries HW50C-Electrical Management on Amazon

Before you plug into a 30 amp outlet, plug the TLT into the 15-30 adapter and plug it in, Normal lights, good, Lights very bright, you might want to use a voltmeter, one that goes to 250 volts (not the one above) if lights make like flash bulbs,, Forget it, park elsewhere.

Next is plug in the volt meter (Actually with that one if you do not mind risking a 25 dollar meter you can plug both in at once)

50 amp RV to 30 amp outlet adapter on Amazon

MFJ 850B line monitor voltmeter

I have that voltmeter, Very nice, soft green backlight (If the voltage is right, do not know if it color changes).
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
IC2

Every appliance has an amp draw figure though it's often expressed in watts. To convert watts to amps, you need to use Ohm's L or E=I/R. Better yet for those that have forgotten basic math, one of the on line calculators. Take a for instance, that microwave is nominally 800 watts (Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator). Using a kind of nominal 110 volts and that 800 watts you come to about 7-1/4 amps. Add a 750 watt electric water heater you have another 7 or so amps. Now just keep adding those 'gadgets', including any 110v lights, the reefer and that converter that is usually forgotten until you reach 30 amps. That's what you need to keep from blowing a breaker. We have a new 5er - 50 amp service. So far, I haven't used 50 amps, just the 30 amp extension cord with an adapter and have yet to blow a breaker. My DW has been 'trained' to turn things off when not needed to keep the electrical load down. We but 1 a/c, and everything else imaginable is 110VAC including the 'fireplace'.

Oh and that CG that's voltage poor, say 95 volts --- that same microwave's 800 watt draw now becomes almost 8 -1/2 amps. Conversely, if it has great voltage, say 120VAC, it's now 6-2/3rds amps.

Look at your electrical items, do the math and if that 30 amp service works for you, then don't worry - I haven't for years on several trailers (though I do have to say that when I will eventually need 50 amps, I will be very happy that I have that capability available)
Old 09-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
you will not be able to run both AC units at the same time with a 30 amp service as they both draw 14 or 15 amps under load. but one unit and anything else will work. I have done it a few times with no real big issue, just stay ahead of the heat instead of trying to cool down the unit, keep it cool early with your sun side shades down. nothing to it!
I tested my units today and the front 15000 unit drew 12 amps on start up and the rear smaller unit drew 10.8 amps. The motorhome is only about a year old so maybe older units would draw a few more amps
Old 09-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I tested my units today and the front 15000 unit drew 12 amps on start up and the rear smaller unit drew 10.8 amps. The motorhome is only about a year old so maybe older units would draw a few more amps
Mine are 12000 BTU units I think. Were yours on high trying to cool down your unit? I was trying to give an idea of usage under worst case conditions.Ours is 8 months old.
Ray