Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
30 and 20 amp simultaneously?

We are camping next weekend (class C), and the forecast is COLD. This may be a stupid question but could I run a little electric heater off the 20 amp outlet (i guess with a regular household extension cord) while plugged into the 30 amp as well. Obviously we may not need it but the question is if it is really cold could we? Yes, the furnace is propane but with 4 kids going electric may be at a premium. Would it save turning off microwave, etc and reduce the load on the 30 if we use the heater on the 20 i guess is what i am asking. The hookup at the site has 20, 30, and 50 amp.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yes , the 20 amp. outlets on most posts should be wired seperate from the 30 and 50, so yes run a good heavy cord inside , make sure your cord is heavy enough for the amp.s of the heater to run it. Have fun.....
Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your mh is 30 amp, you will be able to run the heater but not much else. If the receptacle at the site has a second 20 or 30 amp plug in spot, I would run the heater with a separate extension cord off that and your mh plugged in to the 30 amp receptacle. If the second outlet is a 30 amp, you will need a 30 to 20 pigtail or adapter.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
we did that all the time with our TT, we had the factory installed fireplace/heater. I installed a separate recpt in the camper for the fireplace and put one (in picture) outside so I could just plug in and run the fireplace. worked great, and we could make coffee in the morning without tripping the breaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tt mods (11).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	34293  
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
If your mh is 30 amp, you will be able to run the heater but not much else. If the receptacle at the site has a second 20 or 30 amp plug in spot, I would run the heater with a separate extension cord off that and your mh plugged in to the 30 amp receptacle. If the second outlet is a 30 amp, you will need a 30 to 20 pigtail or adapter.
I don't quite understand this, the space heater draws that much? So in essence it draws like AC does in summer? Sorry if this is a dumb question, the propane has always sufficed for heat but next weekend I want a backup from the space heater if needed.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
we did that all the time with our TT, we had the factory installed fireplace/heater. I installed a separate recpt in the camper for the fireplace and put one (in picture) outside so I could just plug in and run the fireplace. worked great, and we could make coffee in the morning without tripping the breaker
Good idea!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DaveTN,
Based on the information in the OP, the site has 100 AMPS to the pedestal. All the outlets, at the pedestal, draw from this 100 AMPS. They are on different breakers, but draw from the same source. The potential AMP draw is:
50 AMP plug = 100 AMPS (50 AMPS on each power leg)
30 AMP plug = 30 AMPS
20 AMP plug = 20 AMPS

If your coach has a 50 AMP shore cord there is, most likely, no need for a separate external power cord for the heaters.

If your coach has a 30 AMP shore cord, running an extra shore cord from the 20 AMP plug is a valid solution for additional electric heat. You could also use adapters to use the 50 AMP plug, for the coach or the extra shore cord.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

If you are plugged into a 30 amp outlet, you should be able to run a small heater as long as you are not running anything else that takes too much power. A 1500 watt heater draws about 12 amps. 120 volts x 12 amps = 1540 watts. This would still leave 18 amps of power left.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi DaveTN,
Based on the information in the OP, the site has 100 AMPS to the pedestal. All the outlets, at the pedestal, draw from this 100 AMPS. They are on different breakers, but draw from the same source. The potential AMP draw is:
50 AMP plug = 100 AMPS (50 AMPS on each power leg)
30 AMP plug = 30 AMPS
20 AMP plug = 20 AMPS

If your coach has a 50 AMP shore cord there is, most likely, no need for a separate external power cord for the heaters.

If your coach has a 30 AMP shore cord, running an extra shore cord from the 20 AMP plug is a valid solution for additional electric heat. You could also use adapters to use the 50 AMP plug, for the coach or the extra shore cord.
Thanks, this is what I was really getting at!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If you are plugged into a 30 amp outlet, you should be able to run a small heater as long as you are not running anything else that takes too much power. A 1500 watt heater draws about 12 amps. 120 volts x 12 amps = 1540 watts. This would still leave 18 amps of power left.
Thanks, this helps as well!