Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
A 50 amp coach can plug into a 30 amp outlet using a 30-50 Dog-bone and have 30 amps to use BUT being careful not to draw more than 30 amps at any given time otherwise the Dog-bone will melt and catch fire.
Nope, the 30 amp breaker on the pedestal supply line will go first, unless you have a bad dogbone. I've never had one melt in some 15 years of owning 50 amp rigs.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks DR

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #17

I have a 30 to 50 amp dogbone where the terminal got so hot to melt the plastic surrounding said terminal. The breaker should shut off but in my case it did not. The dogbone is toast but that is probably the campground receptacle that's bad.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 11-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post

I have a 30 to 50 amp dogbone where the terminal got so hot to melt the plastic surrounding said terminal. The breaker should shut off but in my case it did not. The dogbone is toast but that is probably the campground receptacle that's bad.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul,

Actually it has happen to many others for whatever reasons so that's why I brought it up in my post.

It's just something that people need to be aware of when using those adapters.

I have a Camco one and it seems to work OK so far plus my coach has a power shedding device that manages my power so I don't go over 27-28 amps at any given time when using the adapter on 30 amp service.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Many times that type of failure is due to heat generated by an oxidized, pitted or weak (spring pressure) contact in the campground receptacle. The high resistance will generate heat that is transferred to the dogbone terminal and then melts the surrounding plastic. The same thing would have happened with a normal 30 amp shore power cord under the same circumstances. At no time does the current need to be at or over 30 amps for this to occur.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
-Paul R. Haller-
What happens is that the majority of people do not turn off the pedestal breaker before plugging your cord into the pedestal. When you do plug in live, there is a momentary inrush/charging current caused by the inverter. That's the zap you can hear and the flash when it's dark. It causes pitting not only on the blades of your plug, but inside the receptacle in the pedestal. The result is poor contact and higher resistance which causes heating. If you have a plug and the receptacle (or connector) heating up enough to melt, it still won't draw enough to trip the breaker.

In bedrooms in homes, the code now requires arc fault circuit breakers to trip if arcing is detected when the current is below 15 amps. Since the breakers in RV pedestals aren't an arc fault type, they will still deliver up to the rated current (30 or 50A) while your plug is melting away.... Also, the more current you are drawing, the higher the chance of having a plug meltdown. In fact, I think you actually do hear more about folks with 50 amp cords having meltdowns than 30 amps.

In addition to the pitting scenario, you have to realize that the receptacles in campground pedestals get used many hundreds of times and the contact pressure inside the receptacle weakens. The two mixed together is not good.

The majority of RVs have 30 amp service. If you are at a pedestal that has both 30 and 50 amps, and you have a 30 amp RV, you will be better off using an adapter and plugging into the 50 amp receptacle because it should be in much better condition. The other benefit is that if the pedestal receptacle is really bad and leads to overheating, at least you'd only lose your adapter.

So the tip of the day is always turn the pedestal breaker off before plugging in. Same at home. Then inspect your plug blades periodically and clean them if needed. Also, if a pedestal receptacle looks to be in really rough shape, go try and find another one. The photo below is what I mean by a pedestal in rough shape. This was at a campground we were at in the summer and they were pretty much all like this. The plug would hardly stay in and I propped it up with a stick. We weren't using much power so I wasn't totally freaking out.

I'm planning to make a straight-through 30 to 30 amp extension cord about a 1 foot long so if the plug/receptacle connection ever does melt and burst into flames, just the short extension cord will be damaged.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
I'm planning to make a straight-through 30 to 30 amp extension cord about a 1 foot long so if the plug/receptacle connection ever does melt and burst into flames, just the short extension cord will be damaged.

Well that is a very good idea! thank you for this, now one more question, would the dog bone (I haven't seen one yet) go between the join of long and short cords, or does it plug into the camp outlet?
and if you use the 50 receptical and the unit is 30 you would use the 50 -30 dog bone ? Which read comes first ..the RV to the plug (30 50) or the plug to the RV ?? 50 - 30? I would think the second, but would be probably wrong
Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
50 amp (male) to 30 amp (female), or 50 amp (pedestal service) to 30 amp (RV).

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #23

If you have a 30 amp unit, you want this one:

http://http://www.campingworld.com/s...a-female/27987

The 50 amp end that plugs into a 50 pedestal is "male" while the other end of the "dogbone" is "female". The end of your 30 amp shore power cord is "male." If you ever get stuck on the designations, just think of human anatomy.

The adapter is a good idea to keep on hand. Some day you may find yourself at a cg that only has 50 amp services left.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
If you have a 30 amp unit, you want this one:

http://http://www.campingworld.com/s...a-female/27987

The 50 amp end that plugs into a 50 pedestal is "male" while the other end of the "dogbone" is "female". The end of your 30 amp shore power cord is "male." If you ever get stuck on the designations, just think of human anatomy.

The adapter is a good idea to keep on hand. Some day you may find yourself at a cg that only has 50 amp services left.
Thank you and duly noted!!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone commented on plugging a 50 amp rig into a 30 amp outlet but be careful to not draw more than 30 or the dogbone could catch fire.

True, if, that is, it was possible to draw more than 30 through the 30 amp circuit breaker protected outlet.

Be careful to not draw more than 27 amps or the circuit breaker will trip. No fire danger, Just a circuit breaker.

That said, DO keep a spare dogbone adapter on hand cause the plug has a tendency to melt on those things.. YES, i know why, and NO there is nothign you can do about it save make sure you keep your contacts clean.

Likewise a 40 amp rig into a 50 amp using an adapter.. The 30 amp MAIN breaker inside the RV is the limiter here, still 27 amps max draw.

Here is what you need to know.

Without the proper adapter you can NOT plug a 30 amp cord into a 50 amp outlet, Different plugs, Same the other way around, Different plugs.

Likewise without the proper adapter(s) you can not plug either of them into a 15 or 20 amp outlet.

Now, The rules according to Readdy Kilowatt.

Devices in the RV are divided into groups. BIG, Medium and Small

BIG: Air conditioner, Microwave, Water heater, Space heaters and possibly.. the converter (See note below)

Medium, Refrigerator on AC, Coffee pot, Toaster

Small, Electronics, Computer, Television, Sat receiver and so on.

Two Medium = one big

On 20 amps you can run 1 big

on 30,, Generally 2 (But you usually can not run both air conditoners if you have 2.. I have, but the total draw per my clamp on meter was 27 amps and see what I said above about 27 amps. Even a night light would have put me over)

50 amps, All you can eat.

And that's about all you need.. For example. Where I am now if I want to microwave lunch, I have to turn off the water heater. (30 amp site, 50 amp rig).

One other word of warning about 30 amp outlets.....

The standard TT-30 RV type outlet says very clearly on it's outer edge or backside "Maximum voltage 125" or some such.

HOEVER there is a very common 240 volt outlet, used for Dryers, Air Compressors, Welders and such that looks just like a TT-30.. And most professional electricians do not read!!!.. So they look at that outlet and wire it up for you,, With 240 volts (For this reason I recommend you install a 50 amp outlet at your home You may use 30 amp breakers on it if you wish to save wire cost.

But if you are at a friend's house.. METER the outlet and/or use a proper surge guard BEFORE you plug in the RV. The budget you save may be your own.

Now, on Converters: Mine is a progressive dynamics 9180, If my batteries are dead, and I mean DEAD. it is a big ticket item drawing over 1,000 watts.

On the other hand if they are full up, It is a "Small item" drawing less than 100.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #26

You have to keep in mind that if you plug into a 50 amp pedestal with an adapter, you'll never draw more than 30 amps because there is a 30 amp "main" breaker in the RV's panel. A lot of people overlook this.

Tags
service