Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

30 Years of Snow-birding Coming To An End

We have spent winters in Arizona or other southern states for over 30 years. Sometimes 6 months totally in a motorhome and many years in a second home with the RV to go explore.

My wife was just diagnosed with late stage cancer so we sold the Arizona home and the 40'er - just bought a 27' for local use

For the first time in three decades we wont be shutting down a Washington home, getting an RV ready and opening a second home ( with all those responsibilities)

While not looking forward to NW winters we are amazed how much more relaxed we are not making all the changes necessary to go to and keep up two places.

Also our 27' scoots around and parks anywhere.

Anyone else give up snowbirding and found you likes the less stress
RikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We will still think of you when our SW winter daytime temps are in the 70's.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

Yep.....we know that the time will come for everyone to stop traveling
RikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Sorry to hear this, good luck with you wife’s health. Enjoy the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #5

We will be sorry to lose you out in the world. We also hope for the best for you and your DW.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #6

Only best wishes for your wife and sending prayers!

Your 27' to scoot around in sounds sweet!

I think there is a time when people do like less stress from travel after many years of adventures. Settle down and take care of their lives as they need. Not all, but some would find wanting/needing to come off the road and downsize their life in some way is a great thing. Be grateful for what we have and be content on how their lives might have changed a bit.

best of luck for your future!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
In 30 years you two have had some great experiences and memories to share and the best of luck !
Old 09-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #8

Now you get to do something different. Enjoy the time!
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #9

You had 30 warm winters that MOST northerners have not enjoyed. Would you report back next summer on how you did this winter?

Best of life to you and everyone else!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #10

Best of luck to you and your wife. Here's hoping you have many years to enjoy your smaller unit. My wife and I are just starting our snowbirding adventures.
CAMPER70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:28 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
My thoughts and prayers are with you

Sorry to hear this news. I will pray for you both today. We just started our Snowbird adventure last year. This is our 2nd. We go to the Rio Grande Valley. I play a lot of music.

I was surprised to meet and know so many that are clear up in their 90's that still come south for the winters.

They have long ago bought a park model. One lady who lost her husband in our park, she leaves her Buick at the Park Model and flys back and forth from Minnesota. We visit with her and that is the part we enjoy most is just relaxing, visiting with all the fellow Winter Texans.

We are very active though and doing stuff all day, every day.

Certainly, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Blessings
James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You are making a good choice. Keep on traveling as much as you can, but reduce the effort/stress.

We continued traveling several months/year for 8 years after my wife was diagnosed with an incurable cancer. Chemo keeps her alive, but the treatments are forever. We stayed in one place longer so she could get her treatments every few weeks, and traveled a regular route where we had established relations with oncologists familiar with her case. When the required treatments got more frequent (weekly), we needed to stay in one place several months, so basically were snow-birding. After a year of that, we decided to sell the motorhome and rent a furnished summer cottage instead. Could have bought one, I guess, but with her future unpredictable it seemed that seasonal rental made more sense. So, we still shut down our Florida home as summer approaches (we are sunbirds rather than snowbirds), but basically just pack a couple suitcases now. We love it! We move in, enjoy about 5 months in a pleasant locale, then go back home again.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #13

My wife's parents had to do the same after about 30 years also. He has stage 4 lung cancer. I hope the memories of your travels keeps your smiles coming on the rough road ahead. My prayers and blessings are with you!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote