Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
303 Aerospace Protectant

Has anyone had experience using 303 Protectant as a wax on fiberglass? I always wax my roof every year but each year it seems to get longer and longer. I want to try it on my roof. I was told to spray it on and wipe it off. If it works as I think it might it will cut my effort in half. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks;

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

Remove wax first

""Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Co. 303 Aerospace Protectant may not be fully compatible with already-treated surfaces with most polishes. The reason for this is because 303AP is a water based product, and these polishes repel water. 303AP would simply not bond properly. I suggest to wait until the polish wears off, or strip it off with a non-abrasive rubbing compound. If you require further assistance please feel free to contact me."

Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't tried it, but see little reason to believe that 303 will last any better than another wax-like coating. Worth a try, though.

Are you using a regular automotive or boat wax on the roof? Seems like a lot of work! I use a wipe-on liquid wax, usually an inexpensive kitchen floor wax from Dollar General or similar, and it takes maybe 25-30 minutes once I finish washing the roof (a twice a year chore).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can't ya pay a grandkid or 2 to get up there & do that for you, Don?

Who told you to spray on/wipe off? I would be like irv2fan & wonder if it'd be compatible if there's some of another product still on your roof.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

I used it on the sides of my camper and seems to bring the shine out just like a wax. Have not cleaned my roof yet.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

303 Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv2fan View Post
Remove wax first

""Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Co. 303 Aerospace Protectant may not be fully compatible with already-treated surfaces with most polishes. The reason for this is because 303AP is a water based product, and these polishes repel water. 303AP would simply not bond properly. I suggest to wait until the polish wears off, or strip it off with a non-abrasive rubbing compound. If you require further assistance please feel free to contact me."
I've been using it for over a year on my fiberglass roof. Stopped the white streaking right away. Do not put too much on per application, it can streak down the sides as well. I put a light coat on in the spring and fall. Easy to apply, spay on and wipe just like liquid polish.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using it on everything but glass since 1993. It is not a wax, its a UV protectant.
I do not spray it on and wipe it off. I spray it on a swiffer type mop and spread it, then buff till dry.
On tires I wet them, let it soak for 10 minutes, then wipe off any excess.
The instructions clearly state not to spray it directly on to any surface other than tires.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Can't ya pay a grandkid or 2 to get up there & do that for you, Don?

Who told you to spray on/wipe off? I would be like irv2fan & wonder if it'd be compatible if there's some of another product still on your roof.

Lori-
Lori;

My grandkids (9) are all female except for 2 one of which is married and the other is so involved with outside activities that I can't get his attention. I can't even hire a kid anymore to mow our lawn. Bev and I work on that together as a team. When we can no longer do it I will have to hire a professional service to do it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I haven't tried it, but see little reason to believe that 303 will last any better than another wax-like coating. Worth a try, though.

Are you using a regular automotive or boat wax on the roof? Seems like a lot of work! I use a wipe-on liquid wax, usually an inexpensive kitchen floor wax from Dollar General or similar, and it takes maybe 25-30 minutes once I finish washing the roof (a twice a year chore).
Gary;

I have been using Gel-Gloss. When I purchased our Horizon used, the roof was so oxidized I got white streaks down the sides when I was in rain. I have a detached muscle on my left hip and I don't feel safe standing up on the roof any longer. I wax it in the garage out of the sun, rain, and wind. I use a couple of rugs and wax on my hands and knees. I have 3' clearance above the roof to work with. I have all the waxing done for this year and will start experimenting with the 303 next spring. I will post a report on what I find.

Thanks everybody for your replies. I now know what I need to do.

Don
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Don,
Mine also gets white streaks where the water runs off, but washing it and applying a coat of kitchen floor wax stops it for 3-6 months. I think the white is a combination of chalk from oxidized paint (my fiberglass roof is painted) and plain old dirt. I didn't have the streak problem until the coach was 5 years old, so the oxidation has to be a factor. I'll probably re-paint the roof one of these days, but for now I can wash and "wax" it in about 1.5 hours with little effort except getting me and my stuff up onto the roof.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLUV View Post

I've been using it for over a year on my fiberglass roof. Stopped the white streaking right away. Do not put too much on per application, it can streak down the sides as well. I put a light coat on in the spring and fall. Easy to apply, spay on and wipe just like liquid polish.
My DH just applied 303 to our roof. Good to hear it stops white streaks.

It took him about an hour.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #12

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Well, this discussion hasn't convinced me that 303 isn't any better than any other roof coating reported in this forum. Being frustrated with the white streaks on my Journey, in 2011 I applied Mop & Glow on the roof and the white streaking went away. The streaking started back up about 6 months later and I finally got around to re-applying the floor wax again about 11 months after the first application. Sure enough 6-8 months later the streaks were back. Getting kinda gimpy myself, at a Texas RV Park I paid two young guys to climb up on the roof and apply their "special roof coating", which they said had UV protectors in it. 6 months later I have started noticing streaking again.

az bound, you say that 303 is only a UV protector. It also appears to last only about 6 months before the streaks re-appear. I was hoping it was both a wax-like coating, as well as a UV protector. At least the wax would "bond together" and hold the fine, white particles together while the UV protector would keep the coating and the roof material from deteriorating in the sun. So far I have seen no "magic bullet" on the market that would keep me off my roof for up to two years.

Other than re-painting the roof, does anyone know of a "more perfect" product? I would like to find a better product before I am AZ-bound in Oct.

Suncircles

2005 Winnebago Journey 36G with a 2006 CRV Toad
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Been using 303 for many years. My findings to date is coating Fiberglas or metals one can expect several months only. However on exterior vinyls, like awning covers and especially rubber, tires, after many applications the expectancy is greater. So, IMO it is a very good UV product. Lately I have been experimenting with Rejex, a product that other forum members have suggested. It,so far is a great product. Coats and fills like a wax, polishes out with a very lustrous shine and lasts for two to four months. Unfortunately, not two years. Big plus, it repels water off the windshield better than Rainex, after a recent three thousand mile trip the windshield wipers were only used once in a torrential down pour that stopped traffic on I 95. Bugs, now here is the plus, even love bugs simply hose off for the first month then light brushing with water removes them after two to three months. Clifftail, one of our moderators recently used Rejex over his entire coach! Hopefully he will chime in with additional information. No not a stock holder for Rejex, just a consumer!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Been using 303 for many years. My findings to date is coating Fiberglas or metals one can expect several months only. However on exterior vinyls, like awning covers and especially rubber, tires, after many applications the expectancy is greater. So, IMO it is a very good UV product. Lately I have been experimenting with Rejex, a product that other forum members have suggested. It,so far is a great product. Coats and fills like a wax, polishes out with a very lustrous shine and lasts for two to four months. Unfortunately, not two years. Big plus, it repels water off the windshield better than Rainex, after a recent three thousand mile trip the windshield wipers were only used once in a torrential down pour that stopped traffic on I 95. Bugs, now here is the plus, even love bugs simply hose off for the first month then light brushing with water removes them after two to three months. Clifftail, one of our moderators recently used Rejex over his entire coach! Hopefully he will chime in with additional information. No not a stock holder for Rejex, just a consumer!
Hi Clay. I agree with your comments on 303 as I get the same results. I've been using Rejex on my coach for about three years ( used it years ago on boats ). It is great on all glass especially the windshield. I apply it on the entire coach twice a year and when I do my neighbors wonder why as it looks as good as it did six months ago. .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote