Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrimage 57 View Post
In Maryland, there's a special driver's test you have to pass to operate motor homes in the state. Check with your state and municipality as well. The thing is, your extended turning radius, and what most new-bees forget about is the amount of motorhome behind the rear axle that swings after the rear axle has cleared the light pole, fire hydrant, whatever. A couple of hours on your local junior high school parking lot, just like when we were kids, and you should have your comfortability level up a bit. Take it slow, and be careful, bring several people with you, and listen to them as you navigate to parking lot. Good luck!

Sent from my VS987 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Go 34. First rv 36ft no problem any where. Always buy you 3rd rv first. Saves trading in time and money. Dont be afraid of used rvs. Have them checked out by a certified rv mechanic. Take a few rv friends with you to look over everthing for rust and proper maintenance and to assure everthing is working. Get a written warranty from the dealer covering the entire coach. Check tire dates and have wheels pulled to check brakes. Its worth a few hundred bucks to check before purchasing rv. Test drive on different roads see how it habdkes.
Good luck and go for the one that works for you. Check the roof for proper maint. Review all records. If they say you can't don't buy it.[emoji12]

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
By the way that word is handles.[emoji214]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieg1965 View Post
Still in the research phase of our first coach and originally wanted something closer to 30-32 ft. Range. Now we are noticing most of the floor plans we like are in the 33-34 ft range.

I realize a lot is personal preference, but is a 34 ft coach too big to start out with as far as handling? Driving?

Will a 34ft coach eliminate too many parks by being too big?

I would appreciate your advice and wisdom as we keep doing the research.

Thanks all
At 55, we invested in a 2013, 28 1/2 ft fithwheel and 2012, F150 Lariat. Total length hooked up was about 44-45 ft. We have travelled for 6 years in Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick and Prince-Edwards Island with no problem.
We just turned 62 and retired for a year. We decided to make the move to a MH, we chose the 36 ft Fleetwood Bounder 35K and are pleased with driveability transition. I saw on U-Tube a video where the guy had done extenscive rechearch on MH length park access and it was very good up to 36 ft. It was getting troublesome pass 37 ft and limited at 40+.
This is more thrue for the USA parks compared to the Canadian sites.
So my recommandation is to pick the right floor plan for you first! [emoji41]

Happy road.
RplgPepin.
rplgpepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #46

We have worked our way up from a small bumper pull to a 40’ class A diesel pusher. Have traveled all over country and have always been able to find a spot to park. Have to be careful in crowded spaces but the comfort is worth it!
okietraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplgpepin View Post
At 55, we invested in a 2013, 28 1/2 ft fithwheel and 2012, F150 Lariat. Total length hooked up was about 44-45 ft. We have travelled for 6 years in Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick and Prince-Edwards Island with no problem.
We just turned 62 and retired for a year. We decided to make the move to a MH, we chose the 36 ft Fleetwood Bounder 35K and are pleased with driveability transition. I saw on U-Tube a video where the guy had done extenscive rechearch on MH length park access and it was very good up to 36 ft. It was getting troublesome pass 37 ft and limited at 40+.
This is more thrue for the USA parks compared to the Canadian sites.
So my recommandation is to pick the right floor plan for you first! [emoji41]

Happy road.
RplgPepin.
Started full timing in a 30' class c , too small of shower. Found a 34' DP, 2 slides and corner shower in a separate bath, wonderful. Now part timers and want to go back to a class c , or b+. The walk around queen bed and good sized shower is a must. The DP is really comfortable and great for traveling. It's big and takes some effort to break camp and move. Miss our old class c.

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Zapper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
We started with a 38'. Still have it 16 years later.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #49

One thing to keep in mind with this variety of answers is that there are places that people with mid to large size do not even try to get into. I have even experienced a few of these with my sub-30 ft class A. One that comes to mind off hand was a Forest Service campground in Wyoming, I made it as far as the trail head parking lot, and saw the overgrown single lane dirt trail with lots of over hanging limbs to the "rv campground" and left, did not even try to get back in there.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We stayed in many campsites meant for shorter coaches in our 34' Canyon Star. We hung the rear end over the end of the site like Isaac-1 showed in the parking lot. Using this method we fit into 24' campsites. Of course this doesn't work if the campsite has rocks or big logs blocking the end...
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Look at the bay star 30 foot plenty of room
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We stayed in many campsites meant for shorter coaches in our 34' Canyon Star. We hung the rear end over the end of the site like Isaac-1 showed in the parking lot. Using this method we fit into 24' campsites. Of course this doesn't work if the campsite has rocks or big logs blocking the end...
I had to do that once. We went to F.D. Roosevelt Georgia State Park and got the very last site. That's the only time I've ever had that issue. The park has lots of larger sites, but they were taken up by other RV's and lots of tents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-09 17.43.09.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	208999  
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbwilson View Post
With that info I would definitely go for the 34 footer. My wife and I have a 37 foot Winnie Sightseer and I personally wouldn't want less than that. I grew up on my families koa campground built in 1975. Stay under 38 feet and you can stay at about any campground. You might rent a unit for a weekend trip first before buying to see what you think about whatever length you are interested in. We rent ours out to people on Rvshare so there are private units around your area that you could try out that way. Good luck and welcome to the community.
Funny you should mention the Sightseer. I've been looking at the Sightseer/Sunova 33c. I think it's a 34ft coach. Send to be a nice floorplan. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ritchieg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper58 View Post
Started full timing in a 30' class c , too small of shower. Found a 34' DP, 2 slides and corner shower in a separate bath, wonderful. Now part timers and want to go back to a class c , or b+. The walk around queen bed and good sized shower is a must. The DP is really comfortable and great for traveling. It's big and takes some effort to break camp and move. Miss our old class c.

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
My wife is claustrophobic and we looked at a Thor hurricane 29m. Very nice floorplan, king bed, 50 amp.....but that shower was 24x30. That seemed small even for me and i'm not claustrophobic. I guess no coach is perfect and has everything for everybody

Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Look at the bay star 30 foot plenty of room
After 2 years if looking we had decided to order a Baystar 3113, now the 3226. We just were not sure if investing that much money into our first coach was wise since we don't know if we will enjoy rv'ing or not. In our minds we think we will but you never know until you're on the road a few times. So we starting looking at cheaper coaches for a starter coach

Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #56

There are many here including myself that would strongly urge you to buy used or rent before buying a new coach, particularly if you don't plan to full time. Once you factor in depreciation, along with other ownership costs, insurance, maintenance, storage, the cost of ownership of even a mid range new gas coach will be several thousands of dollars per year.

Also it is very hard to get it right the first time, as there are things that you may not like about any given coach that you don't know until you have lived in it for a while, often it will be something that never occurred to you to think about when you were shopping. Like that cabinet door you repeatedly bash your head into, or wishing the cargo comparment had side swing vs top swing doors.

When I was shopping for my current coach I was in a similar situation, as my wife was un-sure about the RV life style, I had owned a couple of camper vans when I was younger before I met her, so was more positive on the idea. So given her reservations, I specifically shopped for ones in the 12-15 year old age range, though only ones that were well maintained and updated, mid to upper end models that used superior materials (full body paint, solid wood cabinets, aluminum or fiberglass roof, etc.).

If you shop around you will see there is a sharp drop off on the purchase cost of a motorhome over about 12 years of age, this is mostly due to the fact that most lenders will not finance RV's over 10-12 years of age. Some people advocate buying slightly newer used units, though when shopping new or used condition is everything.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a