Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Did not read all...

Way back in pre ac days we would go cross country from central ca to east coast in 3 days...lots of driving.

The dessert is a whole bunch of most of same thing so we would leave in late afternoon which would be entering dessert early evening.

Would drive all night until late next day and be in new Mexico someplace.

Gets one past the hot spots when cool and less traffic.
Not a bad idea but with a family of 4, probably not possible...especially since my wife doesn't drive the MH. And I don't trust myself to stay awake in the middle of the night while everyone is asleep.

But I am certainly not opposed to driving some at night if needed when it is cooler.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #44

Dont let worrying about "what if" ruin your trip.Four friends and myself just completed a 3800 mile 10 day trip on motorcycles.We had a basic idea of where we wanted to be at the end of each day.some days we got there others we didnt.we encountered heavy rains on 8 of the 10 days.We just made the best of each day.some days we traveled as little as 250 miles longest day was 685.

dont set anything in stone,simply load up hit the road and enjoy each day and site see along the way

Old 07-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bounder View Post
Dont let worrying about "what if" ruin your trip.Four friends and myself just completed a 3800 mile 10 day trip on motorcycles.We had a basic idea of where we wanted to be at the end of each day.some days we got there others we didnt.we encountered heavy rains on 8 of the 10 days.We just made the best of each day.some days we traveled as little as 250 miles longest day was 685.

dont set anything in stone,simply load up hit the road and enjoy each day and site see along the way
Great advice! The only thing we have planned is to be at Trailer Village by the second day and then to be in Little Rock on the 5th day.

Like you said, after visiting the grand canyon, everything else is up in the air... we are excited!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #46

So glad Trailer Village had a night for you. It'll be a nice place to unwind for a while - take some walks and perhaps catch a nighttime ranger program around the campfire.

That first day will be rough but you'll be fresh as it's your first day.

Have a great trip!

P.S. You need to give your wife some driving lessons. You'll encounter many open interstate areas with less traffic and it would be good to get relieved for a while. Pull into a rest area, take a walk around the building, get some snacks, switch drivers and stop at the next rest area or two.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #47

One thing I'd like to add to your plan, and is something I still have a hard time getting done these days, Plan to have a good rest period prior to starting the trip at least for the first driver.

I've tried to get the coach ready two days ahead, with all the pretrip inspections done so that all I would have to do is get up, shower, and start driving.

It seems to never work out that way now for me but it's worth a try, and is how I did it when running OTR in trucking.

Have a great trip
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So glad Trailer Village had a night for you. It'll be a nice place to unwind for a while - take some walks and perhaps catch a nighttime ranger program around the campfire.

That first day will be rough but you'll be fresh as it's your first day.

Have a great trip!

P.S. You need to give your wife some driving lessons. You'll encounter many open interstate areas with less traffic and it would be good to get relieved for a while. Pull into a rest area, take a walk around the building, get some snacks, switch drivers and stop at the next rest area or two.
Good call! She actually drove a new Tiffin that we went and looked at a few weeks ago. I was shocked that she actually got behind the wheel of it, as it is about 6 feet longer and probably 1' taller than ours. I'm not gonna lie though, the first thing I thought was "If she is willing and can drive this, ours will be a cake walk". HA!

Hopefully I can get her behind the wheel in the middle of nowhere in Texas, NM or OK.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
One thing I'd like to add to your plan, and is something I still have a hard time getting done these days, Plan to have a good rest period prior to starting the trip at least for the first driver.

I've tried to get the coach ready two days ahead, with all the pretrip inspections done so that all I would have to do is get up, shower, and start driving.

It seems to never work out that way now for me but it's worth a try, and is how I did it when running OTR in trucking.

Have a great trip
DTW
Thanks Dan, good advice. I will certainly try to get some rest but I have a feeling that first day, since we are going to leave a day earlier than we originally planned, is going to be crazy! The good news is we only have to drive 5 or 6 hours the first day, which I know I can do with no problem.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Let's see 7 1/2 hours a day driving, I'm thinking more like 8 1/2 to 9. When do you shower 4 people? When do you bathroom 4 people. And eating 30 minutes each. And fuel time sometime because of distance twice a day. I see your daylight going away quick. And when and where are your overnight stops in 100 heat. Me I'd fly and enjoy my visit, but I'm not in my forties(just looking at the kid's ages).

LEN
Old 07-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Let's see 7 1/2 hours a day driving, I'm thinking more like 8 1/2 to 9. When do you shower 4 people? When do you bathroom 4 people. And eating 30 minutes each. And fuel time sometime because of distance twice a day. I see your daylight going away quick. And when and where are your overnight stops in 100 heat. Me I'd fly and enjoy my visit, but I'm not in my forties(just looking at the kid's ages).

LEN
What fun is flying when you can spend some quality family time in an RV driving across the country they have never seen?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Driving 7 1/2 hours per day doesn't leave much time for sightseeing and you're gonna be worn out! We try to limit our driving time to 300 miles per day! Hope the trip works out great for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Agree, that sounds like way too much driving and not enough seeing the sites or just cooling it in a CG. Our trips are supposed to be fun, not a driving marathon.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #53

Our first trip was Detroit to Nashville and Memphis. It took us 8 hrs. to Nashville and crashed there 3 days. Then drove 3.5 hrs. to Memphis and crashed two days. Then drove Memphis to Detroit all in one for 12 hrs. including thunderstorms. So if I had to do it over I would have split the return into two days.

Have fun with your adventure.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From personal experience, I would not attempt a 3600 mile trip in 10 days. This is all driving and little time to enjoy life.

In our younger days, we would drive two 500 mile days back to back and spend 5 days at our destination and then two 500 mile days back.

Now we do 200 to 300 miles a day with a day off between driving days.

Ken
Old 07-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #55

Let me know how it goes...we are going from little rock to Vacaville area next month
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #56

Followed my sons college football team all over the country. Lots of ALL DRIVING adventurous 3-4 day weekends. And often only spending hours, not days, at the destination.

We quickly mastered the ability to enjoy the trip. 4 adults and a toddler grandson.

Cherished memories now.

That windshield can be as entertaining as any tv show. Onboard music can be a concert. Meals can be a great dining experience. ............

Rolling down the road doesn't have to be a bore.