Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Followed my sons college football team all over the country. Lots of ALL DRIVING adventurous 3-4 day weekends. And often only spending hours, not days, at the destination.

We quickly mastered the ability to enjoy the trip. 4 adults and a toddler grandson.

Cherished memories now.

That windshield can be as entertaining as any tv show. Onboard music can be a concert. Meals can be a great dining experience. ............

Rolling down the road doesn't have to be a bore.
I couldnt' agree with this any more.

To me, I would rather spend time with my family, driving down the interstate in this beautiful country, seeing new things with the family... rather than sitting in the house like we can do any other day.

To me, driving is PART of the whole experience. Driving doesn't have to be boring, it is part of the Journey. Our journey is to drive to see our son that is stationed in Little Rock. The journey doesn't start when we get to Little Rock. The journey starts as soon as we leave the house in the coach and see what happens every day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
From personal experience, I would not attempt a 3600 mile trip in 10 days. This is all driving and little time to enjoy life.

In our younger days, we would drive two 500 mile days back to back and spend 5 days at our destination and then two 500 mile days back.

Now we do 200 to 300 miles a day with a day off between driving days.

Ken
This is what I mean. Why is driving not considered "enjoying life"? Do we only have to be sitting in our coach watching TV, or sitting outside by the campfire in order to enjoy life?

I consider driving the RV as a part of enjoying life. Do you know how many people in this country can't even THINK about buying a Class A RV and would give up a lot in order to be able to own one to drive across the country?

Driving is no big deal, it is part of what we do. It also doesn't hurt that we are driving a very comfortable Class A with a kitchen and bathroom. It's one thing to do it in a car, its another to do it in a MH. Get tired? Find a rest area or parking lot. Get hungry? Make something to eat. Need to use the restroom? Pull over and go. To me, you just can't beat it.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #59

Your young..when we were young we traveled with 3 kids sometimes 800 plus miles in a day so we could spend more time at a place of interest.
You won't have any problems and will be making memories. You will have plenty time to slow down when you get older....like most of us. Have fun.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
Your young..when we were young we traveled with 3 kids sometimes 800 plus miles in a day so we could spend more time at a place of interest.
You won't have any problems and will be making memories. You will have plenty time to slow down when you get older....like most of us. Have fun.
Thanks for your encouragement. I didn't come here for it but it is certainly welcomed.

I'm sure the kids will have times of boredom but we plan on stopping every few hours to stretch and just walk out of the coach to get fresh air. We are looking forward to it!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
This is what I mean. Why is driving not considered "enjoying life"? Do we only have to be sitting in our coach watching TV, or sitting outside by the campfire in order to enjoy life?

I consider driving the RV as a part of enjoying life. Do you know how many people in this country can't even THINK about buying a Class A RV and would give up a lot in order to be able to own one to drive across the country?

Driving is no big deal, it is part of what we do. It also doesn't hurt that we are driving a very comfortable Class A with a kitchen and bathroom. It's one thing to do it in a car, its another to do it in a MH. Get tired? Find a rest area or parking lot. Get hungry? Make something to eat. Need to use the restroom? Pull over and go. To me, you just can't beat it.
I enjoy driving our MH for all the reasons you list, plus I just enjoy driving, regardless of the occasional idiot we encounter on the road.
Twenty years ago when we had a job, I would drive our truck N 5er 700+ miles a day, now 300-400 is a day's driving for me.
And, I agree; just pulling in a rest area and walking to the washrooms(even though ours is more convenient) is enough exercise to refresh myself when I get sleepy or stiff.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #62

Ghoticov sounds like a great trip. I too enjoy the drive as much as the destinations, it is all part of the experience.
Be sure to let us know how the trip goes.

We are planning a 4100 mile trip in ~20 days to see the western greats next year. We will not have time to fully enjoy or see everything on this trip but will be sure to take notes for return trips someday.

Steve
Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I enjoy driving our MH for all the reasons you list, plus I just enjoy driving, regardless of the occasional idiot we encounter on the road.
Twenty years ago when we had a job, I would drive our truck N 5er 700+ miles a day, now 300-400 is a day's driving for me.
And, I agree; just pulling in a rest area and walking to the washrooms(even though ours is more convenient) is enough exercise to refresh myself when I get sleepy or stiff.
Yep. Rest areas are just that, to rest. HA I agree, just being able to pull over every few hours is enough typically to stretch and get some fresh air, then keeps trucking... or uhhhh RVing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Ghoticov sounds like a great trip. I too enjoy the drive as much as the destinations, it is all part of the experience.
Be sure to let us know how the trip goes.

We are planning a 4100 mile trip in ~20 days to see the western greats next year. We will not have time to fully enjoy or see everything on this trip but will be sure to take notes for return trips someday.

Steve
Will do!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #64

You don't say where you live in Central California. Such a whirlwind tour will be quite a blur and you'd do best to save such a long RV trip until you have more time.

Fly into either Little Rock or Memphis--130 miles to the east. It's just not long enough of a stay such a short time period. Flying will allow your visit with your son in Little Rock to be much more positive.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Been kinda skimming this thread and wanted to mention that if you stopped at the Catherine's Landing there in Arkansas, there is a really nice easy "ropes" course that I'd be willing to be your whole family would enjoy. Need to allow a couple of hours to enjoy the "flying" thru the trees and seeing the forest from a new perspective! Fantastic guides there. Just a thought to help make the trip/vacation one to remember!
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
I agree it's a great trip. If you had three times the time. It might be fun for you but not the kids. I know your kids are different and enjoy sitting in the back and getting a small window view. 15 year old most likely won't want to go and the six year old wants a game. I think your justifying the drive as it's YOUR good time. Sounds like just one pain in the butt for everyone else. Just look at your childhood sitting in the back seat telling your dad YAH LETS DO THIS ALL DAY LONG TOMORROW.

LEN
Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You don't say where you live in Central California. Such a whirlwind tour will be quite a blur and you'd do best to save such a long RV trip until you have more time.

Fly into either Little Rock or Memphis--130 miles to the east. It's just not long enough of a stay such a short time period. Flying will allow your visit with your son in Little Rock to be much more positive.
We live near Fresno, CA.

This is the longest span of time I can take off work so there won't be another time I can "have more time".

Flying is boring, even for the kids and we don't want to spend a week in Little Rock.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
Been kinda skimming this thread and wanted to mention that if you stopped at the Catherine's Landing there in Arkansas, there is a really nice easy "ropes" course that I'd be willing to be your whole family would enjoy. Need to allow a couple of hours to enjoy the "flying" thru the trees and seeing the forest from a new perspective! Fantastic guides there. Just a thought to help make the trip/vacation one to remember!
I will check that out! Thanks!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I agree it's a great trip. If you had three times the time. It might be fun for you but not the kids. I know your kids are different and enjoy sitting in the back and getting a small window view. 15 year old most likely won't want to go and the six year old wants a game. I think your justifying the drive as it's YOUR good time. Sounds like just one pain in the butt for everyone else. Just look at your childhood sitting in the back seat telling your dad YAH LETS DO THIS ALL DAY LONG TOMORROW.

LEN
People that work full time don't have "three times to the time" to take cross country trips. I assume you are retired? That's a different life all together.

I would rather the kids see the country than sit at home and stare at the walls (or play the xbox or tablet). They can do those things the other 345 days of the year and they understand we are going to be in the RV for 10 days. They are also excited about the trip.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #70

I agree 100% you are doing the right thing now. You really should do some of these things now and not put off till the perfect time.
Growing up the oldest in a family of 7 kids my parents did not take the long trips with all of us. They finally made a 3 week run out west with the younger kids since us older kids were working or in school. I always regretted not being able to go on that trip when I was younger.
Your kids may complain some on the trip but they will thank you as they get older and truly appreciate these times.