Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #71
RVM99
 
bokobird's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: CT S&B
Posts: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
People that work full time don't have "three times to the time" to take cross country trips. I assume you are retired? That's a different life all together.

I would rather the kids see the country than sit at home and stare at the walls (or play the xbox or tablet). They can do those things the other 345 days of the year and they understand we are going to be in the RV for 10 days. They are also excited about the trip.
Totally agree with you and wish you a great journey. Myself I'm planning a cross country trip (6k miles total) in 15 days next August to witness the Solar eclipse in Oregon! Cannot wait! For me, the journey is just as much the destination as being in a nice campground. As others have said, when that RV leaves the driveway, the vacation begins immediately! Cannot be happier whether sitting behind the wheel or sitting in a campground.
__________________

__________________
Carl
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
plasma800's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,040
Blog Entries: 1
Hope you post some photos... you have us all invested in your trip now
__________________

__________________
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Totally agree with you and wish you a great journey. Myself I'm planning a cross country trip (6k miles total) in 15 days next August to witness the Solar eclipse in Oregon! Cannot wait! For me, the journey is just as much the destination as being in a nice campground. As others have said, when that RV leaves the driveway, the vacation begins immediately! Cannot be happier whether sitting behind the wheel or sitting in a campground.
Exactly! I don't understand the other's thinking. If I were driving a car, MAYBE (and I mean MAYBE), I might feel that way but we are driving a home... that just happens to be rolling down the road. To me, what's the difference in driving or sitting on the couch watching TV? I would much rather have the sights and sounds of rolling through America than sitting on the sofa.

That's awesome that you are diving cross country! You are going further than we are but have a few more days to do it. But it probably comes out to about the same amount of driving and us.
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Hope you post some photos... you have us all invested in your trip now
HAHAHA I will certainly be taking photos!
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
1ciderdog's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,309
I'm one who supports you taking the trip as you described it. Nothing to do with this but in 1982 my wife and I were fed up with our jobs and life style so sold house & everything and moved onto a 46 foot sailboat, with three teenage kids. Friends, relatives, coworkers, basically everyone thought we were nuts and shouldn't do that. We'd never had a boat larger than 16 feet up to that time. OK, we lived and traveled on that boat for 12 years. It was called Grab A Chance. Well we took a chance and never regretted it. If we hadn't done that we'd probably still be thinking about it and why we didn't do it. Yep, do what is best for you.
__________________
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,549
After reading this thread the last few days, I'm now seeing your trip through eyes that I had many years ago. I'll bet those of us who thought you were nuts to do this (including me) were seeing it through our 60/70/80-yr. old eyes, not how it was in our 40s. Twenty + years ago, we did trips we would consider crazy today, came home, and went back to work the next day. Makes me exhausted thinking about it now, but we had energy and enthusiasm then, much like you seem to have. Hope you enjoy the heck out of yourselves, and thank you to your son.
__________________
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #77
Member


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 82
When my husband and I went, we parked the RV there at Catherines Landing and hiked up the trail to their trailhead "yurt". Zip lining is a blast!

Zip Line Tour Hot Springs, AR|Outdoor entertainment in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Is the company. We made reservations. There was a lady in the group that was afraid of heights ( her daughter somehow got her to agree to do this ) and by middle of the course she was zipping hands free!
__________________
2001 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Freightliner Chasis
35' w/ 1 slide
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
After reading this thread the last few days, I'm now seeing your trip through eyes that I had many years ago. I'll bet those of us who thought you were nuts to do this (including me) were seeing it through our 60/70/80-yr. old eyes, not how it was in our 40s. Twenty + years ago, we did trips we would consider crazy today, came home, and went back to work the next day. Makes me exhausted thinking about it now, but we had energy and enthusiasm then, much like you seem to have. Hope you enjoy the heck out of yourselves, and thank you to your son.
You are probably right. Most that are saying they would fly are probably retired and/or above the age of 65. It's all good though, it's all a matter of opinion and what I do, others may not. And what others do, I may not.
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fairbury, Nebraska
Posts: 100
I would say go for it! After I retired and the DW is still working (RN night shift) we left on numerous occasions when she got off work at 3 am makes a long day that first one, but we could knock out about 700 miles that first day. She would sleep in the back seat of the TV. once in a while had to set up the 5W in the dark, but got it done. Made the next couple days at 350-400 miles a piece of cake! I know others have said things about the kids not enjoying it, but if you give them little jobs while driving it helps get them invested, have the 15 yr old be the navigator for a while reading the map, spotting upcoming rest areas, fuel stops etc. 6 year old help in looking for places to eat, funny things along the road, etc. As far as needing to stop early if you don't have reservations to ensure a campsite, find possible stopping places on the internet before you leave, put them in a spread sheet with phone numbers and have the DW call around 2 pm when you have a good idea of where/when you want to stop for the night.
__________________
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
I would say go for it! After I retired and the DW is still working (RN night shift) we left on numerous occasions when she got off work at 3 am makes a long day that first one, but we could knock out about 700 miles that first day. She would sleep in the back seat of the TV. once in a while had to set up the 5W in the dark, but got it done. Made the next couple days at 350-400 miles a piece of cake! I know others have said things about the kids not enjoying it, but if you give them little jobs while driving it helps get them invested, have the 15 yr old be the navigator for a while reading the map, spotting upcoming rest areas, fuel stops etc. 6 year old help in looking for places to eat, funny things along the road, etc. As far as needing to stop early if you don't have reservations to ensure a campsite, find possible stopping places on the internet before you leave, put them in a spread sheet with phone numbers and have the DW call around 2 pm when you have a good idea of where/when you want to stop for the night.
I planned it out somewhat with the Good Sam Trip Planner and the first day is a 7 1/2 hour drive to Lake Mead, NV. Then the next day is only a 4 1/2 hour drive to the Grand Canyon. Then one more "longer" day of 7 1/2 hours to Albuqurque, NM. After that, its just 3 days of 4 and 5 hour days...which will be a breeze
__________________

__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mile By Mile Photo Traveling Nunyadamn Navigation, Routes & Roads 1 05-14-2015 04:06 PM
Went to the scales: Voltage 3600 V3600 Toy Haulers Discussion 2 11-24-2014 01:36 PM
microlite 3600 lp genny 3810brad MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 02-22-2013 10:11 AM
One Mile Equals a Mile and a Half Dave&Kacy Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 6 02-04-2012 10:15 AM
Problems with 2009 Heartland Bighorn 3600 RE JMcMahon 5th Wheel Discussion 5 02-26-2010 06:09 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.